X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best cable/cutter for cancered cast

I have a km1500 set up with c-10 7/8 and am planning on try/attempt to partially open a semi closed rusted (cancer strickend) 4" cast iron vertical vents. And it is primarily the dry area of the vents that I'm dealing with.
    These partial closings are causing inadequate venting for multiple fixtures (commercial). 25yr pipe is actually fairly solid but has roughly 50% closure above the wet in some areas.
    Anyways, the question at hand is, What would be the best cutter/cable set up for this job.
    7/8 hollow ? solid core? 1 1/4 hollow/solid? spade? grease cutter? c cutter?
    Thanks

Re: best cable/cutter for cancered cast

Chain knocker!

Comment

I was up on a single story building and the vent was closed off from rust. I took some steel pipe and broke through the rust then scraped it with the pipe then I ran the cable down with a sharks tooth. Just use plenty of water behind the cable head so you flush all that debris out. Nothing like causing a blockage at the bottom of the stack..

I like the idea of the chain knocker but, I didn't have one. I have thought about making one tho..

Comment

I'd be interested to know if enlarging the vent solves the problems. I doubt it will given how few problems I have seen caused by even completely blocked venting. Please let us know how it turns out. I typically jet for scale, but others use chain knocker and like it. I don't have one but should get one.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          I'd be interested to know if enlarging the vent solves the problems. I doubt it will given how few problems I have seen caused by even completely blocked venting. Please let us know how it turns out. I typically jet for scale, but others use chain knocker and like it. I don't have one but should get one.

I have.. Stacks that rust up, sludge up, kids throw debris down them or for the stacks that mount to the outside wall and go around the eave instead of though it, and sag and then collect rain water and close off the venting. Yepper I have seen where if the washer machine dumps it's tub of water and the stack for the toilet is sludged up, it will suck the water out of the toilet bowl. Sink drains act like they are blocked up but, the stack venting is the issue..

I think the use of "Stu-tor" vents will come back and haunt the plumbing industry. Or at least the ones that clean out drains.sewers. Some guys use them like kids eat candy. From sinks to laundry drains to bathroom additions....Give me a vent stack through the roof any day...
          I even had the "Stu-tor" vent malfunction and make it seem like the drain was blocked up...
          Went on a blockage call for a newly remodeled kitchen. Sure enough the drain was stopped up. (or so I thought). Come to find out some one installed a "Stu-tor" vent in a wall and drywalled it in without any louvers so the kitchen drain could not get any air for a good draining so, I opened up the wall where the vent was and it started to drain but,by that time I had to run the cable down the drain to clear it up of any food waste that was left behind...

Comment

Chain knockers are the best tool for cleaning up cast iron. I had jobs where a village televised a line which was all cast iron to the stub, and tell the home owner they need to replace the sewer due to all the scale and the pipe being choked up. I told them let me run my chain knocker through the line, if they are not impressed they do not have to pay me. After running the chain knocker through they retelavised the line and said it looked like brand new pipe. Ever since when the city comes across lines like that they give out my #.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

How do u flush out all the knocked off scale ?

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              Chain knockers are the best tool for cleaning up cast iron. I had jobs where a village televised a line which was all cast iron to the stub, and tell the home owner they need to replace the sewer due to all the scale and the pipe being choked up. I told them let me run my chain knocker through the line, if they are not impressed they do not have to pay me. After running the chain knocker through they retelavised the line and said it looked like brand new pipe. Ever since when the city comes across lines like that they give out my #.
              Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
              1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                I have.. Stacks that rust up, sludge up, kids throw debris down them or for the stacks that mount to the outside wall and go around the eave instead of though it, and sag and then collect rain water and close off the venting. Yepper I have seen where if the washer machine dumps it's tub of water and the stack for the toilet is sludged up, it will suck the water out of the toilet bowl. Sink drains act like they are blocked up but, the stack venting is the issue..

I think the use of "Stu-tor" vents will come back and haunt the plumbing industry. Or at least the ones that clean out drains.sewers. Some guys use them like kids eat candy. From sinks to laundry drains to bathroom additions....Give me a vent stack through the roof any day...
                I even had the "Stu-tor" vent malfunction and make it seem like the drain was blocked up...
                Went on a blockage call for a newly remodeled kitchen. Sure enough the drain was stopped up. (or so I thought). Come to find out some one installed a "Stu-tor" vent in a wall and drywalled it in without any louvers so the kitchen drain could not get any air for a good draining so, I opened up the wall where the vent was and it started to drain but,by that time I had to run the cable down the drain to clear it up of any food waste that was left behind...

The plumbing & vent arrangement have to do with it's function as much as anything. I've seen what you've seen, but at the same time, I've seen what Ace has seen too. Vents blocked or even CAPPED for a whole bathroom group and the bathroom function fine. Even ran everything in the house to see what might affect it. (Friend's house. There for something else. Noticed a capped vent on the roof. Decided to experiment.)

Air Admittance Valves (AAV/Studor) are probably being overused like anything else that comes along that's easier. As I tell contractors and homeowners, nothing beats a traditional-through-the-roof vent. They don't know anything about negative AND positive pressures in a plumbing system. However, with code restrictions, house design & framing, and inspectors interpretations, we are often forced to use AAV's. Yes I know about and have worked with re-venting, foot venting, bow venting-but many times our hands are tied.

While I don't necessarily like it, of the millions of AAV's that are properly installed, I can't remember the last one I ran into giving a problem. I've also purposely asked many other plumbers do they run into them giving problems. Only one said they did, and he said he had only seen one that gave trouble. Replaced it and kept on trucking.

And for the draincleaners, it is often another access point that can give you an advantage over what you're trying to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                  And for the draincleaners, it is often another access point that can give you an advantage over what you're trying to accomplish.
                  i don't think i've come across a handful of aav in my life.

if they were used on my jobs, then jetting interior fixtures would be a mess and a no no. there would be no atmospheric vent to relieve all the positive back pressure with an aav. toilets and traps would splash all over the place.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    i don't think i've come across a handful of aav in my life.

if they were used on my jobs, then jetting interior fixtures would be a mess and a no no. there would be no atmospheric vent to relieve all the positive back pressure with an aav. toilets and traps would splash all over the place.

rick.
                    Not a handful in your life. I probably see that a week.

You would have positive venting at the drop in point of your jetter with an AAV. And while I've ran into lots of them, the majority of the time there are several traditional vents where the AAV's are installed for relief as well. So the only one may be an island sink or single fixture with a beam above. Obviously, common sense and experience needs to be exercised. You don't run 5/16" cable in to clear a main or a trailer jetter cranked up on a secondary line. Kind of have to get a balance with how much vent & jet you can work with. I go through and get an idea of the layout of everything before clearing lines.

All in all though, an AAV is another point of access that can help clear a drain.

Comment

They are everywhere around me and I've come across a few bad ones in the past 2 years.

Sometimes they are very handy access for rodding

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        SewerRat..What brand/style knocker do you use? Ridgid or more aggressive style?

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                          How do u flush out all the knocked off scale ?
                          Just like I flush out lines when I cut out roots, run lots of water.

Originally posted by mrknowitalmost View Post
                          SewerRat..What brand/style knocker do you use? Ridgid or more aggressive style?
                          I have an old school Ridgid Kolman chain knocker which Rothenberger still makes. I have used the Ridgid 2" chain knocker with success though. Never tried their larger ones. The Old style ones I have are 4" and 6". Give A.J Coleman a call I seen a few on the shelf there.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

had an interesting aav thing a while ago. two bathrooms acting oddly, one atop the other. Clearly a main line on the lower, and the upper the toilet also isnt flushing. I figure the upper is a clogged toilet else it'd be coming up in the lower. I start at the bottom and will deal with the toilet after I get the lower line it's dumping into cleared. Big house, many bathrooms, just these two acting up. So I snake the bottom from a pulled toilet and clear it and all is well, and I go to look at the toilet in the powder room upstairs, and now it's flushing fine.

Don't for sure know it's aav but pretty much has to be. was a log house, no venting evident thru roof. Think it all done in aav's because the log walls made venting a pain. think the aav not allowing air out trapped a wad of air in the vertical between the two baths and made the upper toilet act up as well.

other aav problems I've seen are smell problems where they fail open allowing gas out.

Agree they can be a nice access.

Only real venting problem I've ever seen was recently where a toilet flush would pressureize a vent and make a grease trap spit out the outlet.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                            X