the newest scam out there. buyer beware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the newest scam out there. buyer beware

We fell into the same trap as homeowners. I absolutely believe in fair prices. Seriously, plumbers have a very disgusting job and I appreciate what they do; however, my mother and I were victims of a Mr. Rooter scam. Rick, if you were in our area, I would hire you in a heartbeat! Not because of your prices, but because of the work ethic. You are so right, though....Be honest and fair with your customers and they will call you and refer you to others! I learned that 90% of sewer lines rarely need replaced. Like you said...They weren't interested in clearing the line at all. Embarrassingly, we got taken for $19,500 for a 30 foot or less sewer line replacement under the basement foundation to approximately 5 feet outside from the basement door and them installing 40 feet of a black 4" pipe inside of the current 6" terra cotta pipes. I learned so much about plumbing, but way too late. :-( It is pretty bad when the local sewage authority is telling you not to let them do anything else because it doesn't need it and probably didn't need it... :-( I hope we can find a "Rick" or anyone else on this forum who practices business in an ethical manner....

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    i wish that was the case ron. but what i have seen going on are the licensed companies and including the national chains. it's the outright lies and estimates that don't jive with the actual issues. it's usually
    a hard sell with the customer who's desperate and is shown a camera with no recording. also typically with a company they have no track record with.

until the customer starts using trusted tradesmen who come highly recommended, it will continue. too many companies with employees who work for the commission and the owner of the company is demanding the higher job tickets. i have met with and spoken with many company owners who are not interested is cleaning a line. they are interested in replacing the line. amazing what they will tell you when you're at their business looking to buy equipment they are selling.

rick.

Comment

sorry to hear about your loss. they prey on the first time people as they don't typically know right from wrong when it comes to plumbing.

i would follow up with your local city building department and your states contractors board. there should be a way to find somewhere they didn't get an inspection or dot the i or cross the tee on their contract. also contact the parent company. i believe they are out of waco texas.

you might just find a way to a nice refund.

good luck and follow up with it. a little homework might get you a refund of sort.

thanks for the compliment. 99% of the guys on the forum practice their business the same way as i. i'm pretty sure there is someone close or a referral can be made for the future.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I had 4 or 5 of these kind of calls in one week. People would find me on Yelp or Angie's list and call me out to get my opinion on whether repairs were needed. My wife and I decided to start charging $35 for these trips. The funny thing is I never really got these kind of calls when I worked for someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          I had 4 or 5 of these kind of calls in one week. People would find me on Yelp or Angie's list and call me out to get my opinion on whether repairs were needed. My wife and I decided to start charging $35 for these trips. The funny thing is I never really got these kind of calls when I worked for someone.
          that's because your old boss probably weeded the tire kickers out on the phone.

Comment

And the sad thing, re to Ca, is if the home owner complains to lic bd, they get aprox a month to resolve complaint, (like a home owner trying to get a repipe co to come out and fix a leak on their lifetime guarantee job, that's leaking 2 weeks latter and can't get someone back out) . Then if and probably resolved they look as clean as me to those h/o researching plumbers on their website site,,,,,,, compared to to me, who has never had to resolve a complaint. Ignore them till they complain to board, then and only then, they fix it.
            One time I called license bd to get some proof I've never been complained about, um er ahh, oh you want form xyz, send us 12dollars, I did and what came in the mail was something not even close.
            That buyer beware thing sure is a dozzie.

Comment

Customer calls me, has sewer gasses and poop under house. Go under and find jimmy cap has popped off, The main is plugged in the front yard causeing the second story 2 toilets to dump under the home crawl space.

Run my jetter and snake to clear sewer, go to home depot and get 3 helpers and 400# of kiddie litter to dry up the stink. Pop the cap back on and collect $650.00

Customer can't believe it and shows me a quote from a company with Diamond in the name for $4800.00 dig up and spot repair or $18,000.00 reliner or $24,650.00 new sewer to street. Pipe was 84 feet long.

How can some people sleep at night ?

Comment

believe it or not, mike is not the only one playing that game.

i had a meeting with the city inspector last week and they are suppose to meet with the contractor after christmas and figure out why they repiped a house that only had a toilet stoppage. the other toilet and rest of the house was fine.

it gets worse, they were ready to sell them a $20,000 sewer repair in the street, that was before a neighbor gave them my number.

what's even worse is the city inspector never crawled under the house to inspect the $5400. repipe and signed it off.

the tub is not vented and they installed a loose jim cap on the tee that will fall off after the first stoppage., all rubber ferncos were used to connect to existing cast under the house, an abs comby hub was cut and shortened to try to make up for a grade issue, which still has back fall, pipe is sitting on bricks, closet flanges not secured to floor. plenty of other issues that need to be fixed.

sad part is the city inspector is trying to blow off the lack of crawling under the house. they feel they don't need to crawl as they can see what they need to from a crawl space without a flashlight

wait till the city finds themselves in the middle of a lawsuit with the homeowner and all the other 100,000's of homeowners that never got a real under house inspection.

this is going to be a big news maker if the homeowner doesn't get satisfaction.

will update as the saga plays on.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Sure wish these businesses were around me. I'd have 500 more customers and a higher price anchor with them around.

Comment

i wish that was the case ron. but what i have seen going on are the licensed companies and including the national chains. it's the outright lies and estimates that don't jive with the actual issues. it's usually
                    a hard sell with the customer who's desperate and is shown a camera with no recording. also typically with a company they have no track record with.

until the customer starts using trusted tradesmen who come highly recommended, it will continue. too many companies with employees who work for the commission and the owner of the company is demanding the higher job tickets. i have met with and spoken with many company owners who are not interested is cleaning a line. they are interested in replacing the line. amazing what they will tell you when you're at their business looking to buy equipment they are selling.

rick.
                    I think another problem is that people don't know where or who to report bad contractors to.

It might be worth it for groups such as your LMP Association to take some ad time on radio or even local cable tv to get the message out. Or pressure your county or state to do something in stead of just reacting to these crimes after the fact, stop them before they start and "take a bite out of crime" as McGruff says.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                      Here is a scam in Phoenix...
                      The other day I received what looked very much like an official government notification.
                      I was informed since I live in Maricopa county it's my responsibility to protect and "insure"
                      the water line from the water meter to my foundation!

The city and county will not repair it "when" it fails....[lots of scare stuff there and photos too]

I had only one week to reply and send $$$$$ about $80.00 for 11 months of coverage etc
                      They prefer a credit card allowing auto renewal!!!!

After rummaging through the very fine print I found it was from some sort of homeowner
                      warranty company out of New York City....

Well as you all know even Picanti Sauce from New York City is junk so immediately it went
                      off to the shredder.

Oh the plumbing from the water meter to my foundation is Wisbro- Pex and is maybe 40 feet long.
                      I should be OK for at least 25 years ha ha ha

Cactus Man
                      One of my Lawyers called me on this same thing. Apparently the warranty company cut a deal with the City of Phoenix for the mailing list.
                      After I dissected what would be involved in replacing his 20 foot, 1" PVC water service, should the need arise, he decided to wait til it broke.

Comment

believe it or not, mike is not the only one playing that game.

i had a meeting with the city inspector last week and they are suppose to meet with the contractor after christmas and figure out why they repiped a house that only had a toilet stoppage. the other toilet and rest of the house was fine.

it gets worse, they were ready to sell them a $20,000 sewer repair in the street, that was before a neighbor gave them my number.

what's even worse is the city inspector never crawled under the house to inspect the $5400. repipe and signed it off.

the tub is not vented and they installed a loose jim cap on the tee that will fall off after the first stoppage., all rubber ferncos were used to connect to existing cast under the house, an abs comby hub was cut and shortened to try to make up for a grade issue, which still has back fall, pipe is sitting on bricks, closet flanges not secured to floor. plenty of other issues that need to be fixed.

sad part is the city inspector is trying to blow off the lack of crawling under the house. they feel they don't need to crawl as they can see what they need to from a crawl space without a flashlight

wait till the city finds themselves in the middle of a lawsuit with the homeowner and all the other 100,000's of homeowners that never got a real under house inspection.

this is going to be a big news maker if the homeowner doesn't get satisfaction.

will update as the saga plays on.

rick.
                        Please shovel coal on that fire ,Rick !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                        X