Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to find a good plumber in the Walnut, CA area, please!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need to find a good plumber in the Walnut, CA area, please!

Thanks Rick. I'll make sure of that. I'm pretty sure that from the front of the house to the sewer is ok, with no offsets or rotted pipe because those guys already camera'd that part and I'm sure they would have mentioned something like that (and charged a ton for it!). I was also there looking and everything seemed ok, but they did not use the camera into the house. That is the part I'm most worried about. Anyways, I'll post tomorrow on what happens.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      Early seventies was the start of no hub cast..

actually no hub started in the late 60's. my uncle was on a project installing it with all the inspectors watching the work in downtown los angeles.

i too was under the impression of it being the early 70's, but i have a large complex that the first development was lead and oakum and the next building was no hub built in 1968.

rick.

Rick,
      Thanks for the update on no hub in California.. Talk about the difference of day and nite installing cast.
      The only time I use lead and oakum is on shower drains when they get a new shower pan and they have a cast drain with a slab on grade foundation...Unless of course the cast riser or trap is shot..

Originally posted by BadDrainCharles View Post
      Thanks for the replies. That is the 2 way cleanout, but the access hole was not originally directly above it. If you look at the second picture (titled "8"), you can see on the left that there is an access hole there. The pipe from the access hole zig zagged down to the 2 way cleanout, which was located on the right side of the picture. You can see in the hole on the right side, there is a black ABS pipe that was buried very shallow, that is coming from the access hole in the left side of the pic. I don't know if that makes sense or not, or if I really did get ripped off, but right now, I am going to stop any additional work from them and cut my losses. Then, I would like to camera the line in both directions to see what I am really dealing with.

I'll post tomorrow about what they find and make sure they put it on DVD.

Thanks everyone!
      Charles,
      That explains the fernco (rubber connector) I seen in the photo.
      You'll have to change your user name once your drain and sewer is all fixed..
      Maybe "good time Charley"

Comment

Well, today, I told the plumber again that I don't want the liner, or any other additional work. He is also insisting that my sewer line is orangeburg! I didn't want to argue with him, as I know he is lying. They are pulling the permits today, so no work will be done today.

I got my sewer line seesnake'd, except that the bad plumbers did it! He drove up to my house and camera'd the line, then left. All without letting me know. I was at home, but didn't hear them. He calls me up and says he camera'd the line and he was wrong, only 30 feet of the line is orangeburg, not the 50 that he originally said, so he can give me a better deal... Anyways, I was pissed off that he didn't even ring the doorbell, or call me to let me know. I told him he needs to finish up the current work and leave. Then, I went to my retired neighbors across the street, and they did see him there for about half an hour.

I'll be glad to get them out of here now. They are trying to pull a lot of crap on me. I am having a different plumber come out in the evening today to camera the line. I'll post the video when i get that.

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
        Charles,
        That explains the fernco (rubber connector) I seen in the photo.
        You'll have to change your user name once your drain and sewer is all fixed..
        Maybe "good time Charley"
        Yup. I was in panic mode so I chose what I was thinking at the time. I have visited these forums for a long time as a lurker. I am an avid woodworker, so I mostly visit the woodworking forums.

Comment

Well, the other plumber showed up and camera'd the line. His seesnake looked like a tv, and did not have DVD capability, only USB. But, I didn't have any USB storage, so we couldn't record it. But, he looked under the house and he said everything is fine. Then, he put the seesnake towards the sewer and he saw roots, but the only problem area he found was near the end of the driveway, which had a lot more roots. He also said the pipe was orangeburg, and he recommended replacing it with ABS piping for 3,800. He charged me 175 for using the seesnake, but I do feel better that everything is fine under the house and my wife can finally quit worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by BadDrainCharles View Post
            Yup. I was in panic mode so I chose what I was thinking at the time. I have visited these forums for a long time as a lurker. I am an avid woodworker, so I mostly visit the woodworking forums.

Charles,
            How about Charwood?????

Comment

charles, what amazes me are all the so called camera guys that don't provide a video. $175.00 is cheap, but a dvd, usb are priceless. i can't imagine going to a job without a dvd, vhs, or usb stick to record onto. i carry all 3, but tend to use the dvd the most.

i had a call last week from a new customer that had roto rooter out and claimed all sorts of issue. of course there was no video recorded. the owner had them come back today and they started to record, then claimed their camera was broken. so tomorrow i go there and record the line myself at full fare.

if the line is truly orangeburg, i would try root-x and stay on top of it. the root-x will kill the roots. how far away from the c/o was the roots? is the pipe 50% plugged?

jetting will cut out all the roots, but could damage the orangeburg pipe if left in 1 spot too long.

hate to say it, but without a video, i'm only guessing at the problem. for being a computer programmer, i would think you would have usb or a portable hard drive in every room of the house not that you need to provide it. the plumber should have it.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                Charles,
                How about Charwood?????
                Sounds good, but I was thinking more like "Fun Chuck" or "Happy Chuck".

Or how about "Wood Chuck"? I bet that ones already taken though.

Comment

charles, what amazes me are all the so called camera guys that don't provide a video. $175.00 is cheap, but a dvd, usb are priceless. i can't imagine going to a job without a dvd, vhs, or usb stick to record onto. i carry all 3, but tend to use the dvd the most.

i had a call last week from a new customer that had roto rooter out and claimed all sorts of issue. of course there was no video recorded. the owner had them come back today and they started to record, then claimed their camera was broken. so tomorrow i go there and record the line myself at full fare.

if the line is truly orangeburg, i would try root-x and stay on top of it. the root-x will kill the roots. how far away from the c/o was the roots? is the pipe 50% plugged?

jetting will cut out all the roots, but could damage the orangeburg pipe if left in 1 spot too long.

hate to say it, but without a video, i'm only guessing at the problem. for being a computer programmer, i would think you would have usb or a portable hard drive in every room of the house not that you need to provide it. the plumber should have it.

rick.
                  Yes, exactly, Rick! But it was partly my fault. I should have specified that I wanted it recorded. I think he gave me a break on the price because I already got ripped off.

Thanks for the advice on root-X. I'll go get some. The roots were about 20 feet from the c/o. On the video, it looked to be about 25% plugged. The new plumber said that lining it is a very bad idea because when the orangeburg deforms, the liner will too. He recommended a complete replacement from the house down to the sewer.

Yeah, I know, I don't have much computer or techy stuff actually. I do like my job, love the problem solving and making things better, but I spend all my spare time with the kids, or woodworking.

One thing I also realized is that I signed a work order contract, but they never gave me a copy. I did ask for one, but he insisted that I'll get one when the job is finished. There was so much going on, they had my wife thinking the drain was broken under the house, and the kids were crying, etc, that I just trusted them... I'm really worried about that.

Comment

my advise is to get the cleanout installed and hold off on any other repairs. you've only been there 6 weeks and you have lots of other expenses going on now. i would do the root-x in about 6 weeks and let it sit for the day with no flushing.

the roots are 20' in from the cleanout. what was the distance to the city saddle in the street? 50'?

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

my advise is to get the cleanout installed and hold off on any other repairs. you've only been there 6 weeks and you have lots of other expenses going on now. i would do the root-x in about 6 weeks and let it sit for the day with no flushing.

the roots are 20' in from the cleanout. what was the distance to the city saddle in the street? 50'?

rick.
                      Thanks Rick, yes, we have so many expenses right now. We were having the entire house remodeled, so we didn't move in until last week, and we still haven't unpacked everything due to other issues with the house.

The distance to the city sewer from the cleanout is 50'.

I really want to thank you Rick. You've been a great help and saved me from losing even more $$$. Now, I need to go get some Root-X!

The distance to the sewer from the cleanout was 35'.

Comment

Working...
                      X