Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to find a good plumber in the Walnut, CA area, please!

I'm having major issues with my drain backing up and I see so many bad reviews out there. I just want to find a good plumber that will come out to Walnut, CA... I need help!

Re: I need to find a good plumber in the Walnut, CA area, please!

you're talking mount san antonio college? grand exit at the 10?

about 40 miles for me.

what's the issues?

do you have a cleanout outside the house?

any long term track record with this problem?

slab or crawl space?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick,

I tried to reply earlier, but it did not post. Yes, I am near Mt. Sac, and yes, I do have a cleanout in front of the house.

We initially hired a plumber and he told us he needs to use some kind of liner because the pipe going to the sewer has roots in it. I thought it was one of the epoxy type that is going to be like PVC, but he said it is flexible.

He also said that the sewer line under the house is broken (it is a slab foundation).

He is quoting astronomical prices to fix these things, and I'd rather speak directly to another plumber because I am not sure I'm being told the entire truth. The thing is, I was initially told the sewer line was broken in the drive way, but the next day, I questioned him further, and he admitted that it was not broken, but it had roots in it (small, grass like roots, not big tree roots).

I want to talk to another plumber nearby, but when I try to look one up, all I see are bad reviews. I know the ridgid forums are good because I browse them to read about my woodworking tools. Anyways, I'm not sure how we can exchange contact information? I would like to talk directly, if possible.

Thanks!

Comment

charles, respond to your email.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

waiting on some photos of the work in progress.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick,

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me on the phone. I tried to upload the photos, but they were too big, so I used Photobucket.
            Pictures by charlesbaddrain - Photobucket

Here is the full story:

On Friday, we had sewage leaking out from the shower drain, so we called a plumber and he snaked the line from outside, but it did not work.

On Saturday, they found out that the access hole only allowed the snake to go into the house, but not out to the sewer. So they went into the bathroom, and tried to snake it from there, but it didn't work. They rammed that snake so hard, I was afraid something might break. They said the drain line might be broken under the foundation because they were pulling up mud.

Finally, the plumber said the plan is, to fix the access hole on the outside of the house so they can snake it out towards the sewer.

When they dug and jackhammered, to get to the pipe in the ground, they sent a seesnake in there and they showed me roots growing in there. Finally, they snaked that sewer line and everything flowed. I can flush any toilet, use any faucet, and everything was good. But, they said there were 2 issues:

1. The drain line in the driveway is full of roots. They want to fix this by installing a liner. The liner is a flexible plastic that is put inside the pipe. I am skeptical because I would think the roots would still grow into the pipe and close up the plastic liner? Not only that, they are charging me high prices, using scare tactics, and higher pressure sales tactics on me. The funny thing is, they said the drain pipe is broken. So later, after the sales guy left, I singled out one of them and questioned them. "Is the pipe broken in half? Are there cracks?". He said the pipe has roots in it, and that is considered broken.

2. The second issue is the drain under the house. They said it might be broken because they were pulling up mud. I was there when they were snaking that toilet, and to me, everything they pulled up looked the same. I didn't see any mud, and if anything broke, I think they may have broken it.

In the pictures, you can see the old access hole. They said that it was not plumbed correctly and only allows the snake to go into the house, but not out to the sewer (ie. it was installed backwards). So far, I have signed a contract to have them fix this correctly. They have jackhammered the driveway and 1 concrete step (as seen in the photo), and dug down to the main sewer line. Right now, you can see the sewer line is disconnected there, because they took out that metal "T" pipe. They are going to replace this with the ABS pipe and install a new access hole right on top of where that "T" pipe points up. They said the drain to the sewer is made of orangeberg (sp?).

What do you all think? I am being quoted very high prices, and they are telling me all these scary things. I just really want this resolved. Do I really need a liner? How can I find a plumber I can trust?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Rick,

I just wanted to say that I am still here, and I wrote a very lengthy reply with my pictures, but it says that a moderator has to approve it. So I'll have to wait on that.

Comment

i'll get mark to post it.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Ok, I see my post with pics is above. I forgot to mention that the pipe appears to be encased in concrete. The plumber said he doesn't know why, but I think it is to give support to the orangeburg pipe, correct?

Does the orangeburg fail over time? When they showed me the seesnake, I saw that it looked round all the way through. Should I get it lined?

I also called another plumber, a family-owned business that I found on yelp. He said he can come out on Monday to camera the line, so I can post here when that happens. In the meantime, if anyone has any input, it would be very much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Charles,
                    In your first picture it does show the correct two-way clean out tee. I don't know why they could not run their cable down the sewer. At least I never had a problem with them.

Any time I had to clean out a sewer and it had orange-burg (tar-paper) pipe I always recommended that sewer should be replaced. Not only the joints fail but, they collapse under the weight of the dirt. I have replace them that in some spots it was collapsed to about 1-1/2" to 2". Not counting blisters from the layer separation.
                    In my area it is against code to tie into an orange-burg sewer if you are adding another bath or room addition. That's how bad they are.. A lot of times people have added on to thier house and built right on top of orange-burg..

Not knowing the condition of your orange-burg, it's a time bomb and it should be replaced.
                    Plus I noticed in picture 5 & 7 I see a rubber "Fernco" connector. They were not around when they were installing orange-burg pipe so, it seems like that was dug up before. Maybe?? Don't know when California stopped using orange-burg but, in my area it was in the late sixties early seventies... I assume California has stopped using it..
                    Early seventies was the start of no hub cast..

When was your house built????
                    Last edited by urch55; 10-07-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

charles, they are lying to you. the first photo shows a 2 way cleanout. if the operator knew what he was doing, he would be able to go both upstream towards the house and downstream towards the city/ stoppage.

the pipe is cast iron and that's why they have snap cutters in the ditch / the chain with cutter wheels.

the fact that they ran a camera and didn't tape it is also very shady.

remember to properly line a sewer with roots, all the roots need to be removed and the line cleaned. a hydrojetter would be the call on cast and clay. on orangeburg it's not a good call as the pipe will get damaged and is typically not round.

you need to get a real second opinion and post the video on youtube with a link.

based on your photos and our phone conversation, they are taking you for 5k.

i'll have my jetter out tomorrow and with the holiday, traffic should be lighter than normal. let me know sooner than later if you need it cleaned properly.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Early seventies was the start of no hub cast..

actually no hub started in the late 60's. my uncle was on a project installing it with all the inspectors watching the work in downtown los angeles.

i too was under the impression of it being the early 70's, but i have a large complex that the first development was lead and oakum and the next building was no hub built in 1968.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies. That is the 2 way cleanout, but the access hole was not originally directly above it. If you look at the second picture (titled "8"), you can see on the left that there is an access hole there. The pipe from the access hole zig zagged down to the 2 way cleanout, which was located on the right side of the picture. You can see in the hole on the right side, there is a black ABS pipe that was buried very shallow, that is coming from the access hole in the left side of the pic. I don't know if that makes sense or not, or if I really did get ripped off, but right now, I am going to stop any additional work from them and cut my losses. Then, I would like to camera the line in both directions to see what I am really dealing with.

Rick, thank you for the offer, but I spoke with another local plumber, who will come out tomorrow to camera the lines. I want to do this before I proceed with anything else, I am running really tight on $$$, as I just bought the house and these plumbers have my wife thinking the house is going to fall apart. I am not even sure there were even roots there, so i want to make sure of it first.

I'll post tomorrow about what they find and make sure they put it on DVD.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Hi Urch55, I forgot to answer your question. My house was built in 1963.

Comment

charles, make sure that the video has on screen footage from the entry point out. this way if it needs jetting, the footage would help to position the jetter at the problem area.

remember that it's very common to have roots in the sewer line. what we don't want to see are major offsets between the joints. or rotted pipe with the bottom missing.

post the video on youtube and post the link for us all to advise you on.

whoever moved that riser on the 2 way cleanout was not thinking. looks like maybe the steps were in the way of the original riser and they offset it with newer abs pipe.

email me if you have a question tomorrow.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X