X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Root Ripper Review

Not that impressed. Used today with my 1-1/4 cable and drill. The owner told me there was a complete stoppage at 10 ft caused by the ficus tree next to it. First went in with the spiral saw with absolutely no progress. Switched to the root ripper. It would make progress but then stall out. I pulled out and discovered the head just completely plugged with roots. Cleaned off and back in and same issue occurs, just completely clogged with roots and becomes ineffective. Switched to a general spear blade after the 3rd time. Water drops and in goes camera. 4' of packed heavy roots.

The spear blade opened the roots enough and in goes the Root Ranger and it easily cleans it up. All the roots were coming from a clay test tee. So in the end, on a solid plug of roots...not a curtain of roots, the root ripper does work better then the spiral saw but not a must have cutter.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: General Root Ripper Review

Come on GEAR show up good ol Rick and post some photos if you can...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

he spoke to me about it at marks birthday dinner.

the spiral root saw actually works good in reverse if the blades start to load. the reverse rotation allows the open hook of the root saw to act as a grabber and rip the root ball apart.

on the k-60, reverse also acts as an auto feed. on the drill it's an auto reverse.

10' feet away is like fishing in a fish tank

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Both of my other service guys use one. They've both been stuck enough to require digging the line up. I stick with my root saw on the 7500
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          he spoke to me about it at marks birthday dinner.

the spiral root saw actually works good in reverse if the blades start to load. the reverse rotation allows the open hook of the root saw to act as a grabber and rip the root ball apart.

on the k-60, reverse also acts as an auto feed. on the drill it's an auto reverse.

10' feet away is like fishing in a fish tank

rick.
          But sometimes with heavy roots, the blades will act like you've hit a wall...just keep grinding but no progress.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

that's the reason for reverse. it is no longer a blade with teeth, but a hook/ auger. i commonly use reverse on my saw blades. when the teeth load up. reverse the motor and auger through.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
              Come on GEAR show up good ol Rick and post some photos if you can...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              None on this one. Grabbed my camera but left the battery in the charger.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
              X