X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection from disease clearing sewers

Well I need to see My Dr. for shots. Flue , Shingles Ect. Is there a shot I should get to protect Myself from sewer
    Exposure ? Thank You Tool. PS I see real Health problems for Sandy's Victims from all the sewerage that must be everywhere !! WHERE ARE ALL THE PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENTS ??
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Protection from disease clearing sewers

hepatitis and tetanus.

don't chew your finger nails , paydays on fridays and poop flows downhill

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      hepatitis and tetanus.

don't chew your finger nails , paydays on fridays and poop flows downhill

rick.
      All good info ! Thanks Rick
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Other than the two shots mentioned, I don't think there is any shot that would prevent infection if you're coming in contact with raw sewage and open wounds. I am constantly getting cuts/scrapes on my hands like many of you probably do. Not such a big deal, but something I try to keep in mind when you grab onto sewer cable/hose or stick your hands in a cleanout..

Comment

Hep A and B are series of shots. There is nothing for Hep C but I don't think it is a concern with sewage.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Find and use heavy duty rubber gloves. I told my usual plumbing supplier that it is a shame I have to go to an HVAC supply house to find gloves suitable for plumbing work. My plumbing supplier carries gloves that you can tear by looking at them sharply. I even gave them the order # to get the same gloves I use from the HVAC place. Still not on the shelves. I can't understand why they think people only want to buy ''cheap'' when it comes to things like gloves and rags etc.
            Speaking of rags, they also got rid of the good rags and brought in some boxed recycled clothing, sweatshirts, etc. and said the price of the good ones went up so they got those so people don't have to pay so much....... same stack has been setting on the floor b/c nobody will buy them. 2 + 2 = 4, people!

Comment

3 Mil or greater latex gloves under leather work gloves for spinning the snakes

3 mil or greater latex gloves when changing out toilets or rebuilding

Hand sanitizer on the truck and used up to the elbows when gloves pulled off

My work clothing is washed separately from my families clothing

Never eat anything with my hands during the week while working (silverware only)

Use a Hospital grade cleanser at the end of the day. I use Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate)

Hep A and B up to date and a TB test yearly. ( your local health department may even do these at no or low cost)

Even with these safeguards you will eat some every once in a while.... You will get sick, it sucks

You may think you are tuff or been doing this so long that it does not matter if you bare hand it... You are wrong:-)
              Last edited by OkieBill; 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

i once wore nitrile gloves snaking a cow poo filled gutter in a milking parlor. an old syringe pierced my glove and thumb. i had to keep fighting the doctors to keep my thumb. they wanted to cut it off because it was green and black from infection. today, thumb still attached, it only hurts when i hit it with a hammer or swells a little if i drink too much.

keep the shots up to date. have an annual blood workup done.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                  3 Mil or greater latex gloves under leather work gloves for spinning the snakes

3 mil or greater latex gloves when changing out toilets or rebuilding

Hand sanitizer on the truck and used up to the elbows when gloves pulled off

My work clothing is washed separately from my families clothing

Never eat anything with my hands during the week while working (silverware only)

Use a Hospital grade cleanser at the end of the day. I use Hibiclens (chlorhexidine gluconate) /http://www.hibiclens.com/

Hep A and B up to date and a TB test yearly. ( your local health department may even do these at no or low cost)

Even with these safeguards you will eat some every once in a while.... You will get sick, it sucks

You may think you are tuff or been doing this so long that it does not matter if you bare hand it... You are wrong:-)

You'll be the first guy to get seriously sick from the slightest thing. Your body hasn't been allowed a chance to build up any immunities because of this OCD cleanliness thing, you sure you don't want an office job instead?

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                    You'll be the first guy to get seriously sick from the slightest thing. Your body hasn't been allowed a chance to build up any immunities because of this OCD cleanliness thing, you sure you don't want an office job instead?
                    Serious?!
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Comment

honestly yes.

as you get exposed to germs, a good immunity system will help fight off the germs and give you some tolerance to it in the future. it's the clean freaks that catch a cold just looking at a sick person.

in all the years at this, as far as i know, i've only been sick 1 time from drain cleaning/ jetting. i took a direct hit from some sewer juice into an open mouth

i know i've drank and eaten the goods before with good results

i try to stay clean, but drain cleaning/ jetting is not a clean job.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

my journeyman always told me "plumbers dont get sick" but al i know is every *******s a potential customer.

Comment

Hep A & B and Tetenus. I am just repeating all of the previous. As far as gloves, get these long pvc ones pretty cheap because I buy bulk . Charge for a pair on every job. Must swap out though becasue sweaty hands mean sweaty gloves and thats where the infections start. just keep a reasonable cleaning routine, dont be too over the top. I reckon if you keep your wits about you and dont roll in the S--T it all washes away at the end of the job. Think befoer you jump in. Get a plan of attack and go. Now I await a pasting for trying to teach old dogs old tricks.
                            Down here we are always suspicious of the trash that use needles and dont have the decency to dispose of them correctly. Same goes for the same trash that leave needles on beaches and playgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
                              Find and use heavy duty rubber gloves. I told my usual plumbing supplier that it is a shame I have to go to an HVAC supply house to find gloves suitable for plumbing work. My plumbing supplier carries gloves that you can tear by looking at them sharply. I even gave them the order # to get the same gloves I use from the HVAC place. Still not on the shelves. I can't understand why they think people only want to buy ''cheap'' when it comes to things like gloves and rags etc.
                              Speaking of rags, they also got rid of the good rags and brought in some boxed recycled clothing, sweatshirts, etc. and said the price of the good ones went up so they got those so people don't have to pay so much....... same stack has been setting on the floor b/c nobody will buy them. 2 + 2 = 4, people!
                              On the rags. nothing worse than a box of synthetic rags for soldering work. pure cotton is the best.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X