X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got my jetter hose and nozzle stuck in the line

last week i did a jetting job for a plumbing buddy at his neighbors house. he had installed a new sewer line 20 years prior to get around the new pool dig. the 4'' cast iron no hub runs from a ground cleanout around the pool and exits into the alley approx 67' away. of that 67' approx 56' is the 20 year old no hub and the 11' is the original 6'' clay from the 20's.

the line had stopped up last week and his regular drain guy couldn't get it cleared. so he called me to come out and jet it.
    since the line was already plugged, i chose to use my 3/8'' hose and 3 rear 1 forward nozzle to punch a hole and get it to drain before the ground level guest house would back up. once open and running i swapped to my 3/8'' warthog running at 4000 and approx 12 gpm through the 3/8'' line.

at about 56' i had to swap to pulse mode to continue to progress down stream. at 67' i was into the city saddle in the alley. now comes the fun

my hose was stuck and not budging. 2 of us pulling along with a quart of concentrated laundry soap and nothing but a little stretch of the hose. thought maybe i was hung up in roots so i sent down my 1/4'' screwdriver nozzle to attempt to cut the roots free. no luck as the nozzle only went approx 50' in

now it's time for my seesnake mini to ride along the hose and spot the issue.

bad news. the line makes over 7 changes of direction in the first 56'. including 45's and 90's. couldn't push to the 67' mark as there was just too many turns and friction in the cast line.

this is when i decided to try and muscle it out on my own. i slung the hose over my shoulder and in a squatting position i tensioned up the hose, using my legs to lift and shoulder to anchor it on. no luck. tried with the pulsation on at 1500# to bounce the hose. after about 10 minutes of on and offs i quit. but not before i wore my shoulder raw and upon showering that night, my butt too

so i let it sit over the weekend with 33' of hose tied off sticking out of the c/o.

marked the location of the pipe at 3' 6'' deep at the only non concrete spot next to the pool equipment at the 50' mark.

his guys dug it up monday and we exposed a buried 4'' comby and jim cap. managed to loop a nylon sling under the hose and easily pulled out the nozzle at approx 16' downstream. then hand fed the hose back in 6'' at a time to easily pull back the 50' of remaining hose.

hose and nozzle were stuck due the excessive amount of fittings and lack of a proper cleanout. remember there was still another couple of turns and then the saddle into the 8'' main. all together i had well over 10 turns adding up to approx 720 degrees, plus friction of the hose and cast pipe.

other than cutting some skin on me and nicking my hose with the screwdriver nozzle, i got out of there with nothing else lost.

a learning experience for all.

pictures to come.

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-20-2012, 11:05 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: got my jetter hose and nozzle stuck in the line

the sewer runs along the fence line and exits at the far end below the pool equipment then into the alley .

rick.

dig was at the front of the pool equipment.

33' of hose at the entry cleanout sat all weekend. good that i used a jumper hose and not my 300' reel hose.

buried cleanout next to pool pipe. looped a nylon sling under the hose to lift out my hose.

once out, i removed my nozzle and then hand fed the hose back towards the c/o. once the 16' was inched in, the 50' pulled out no problem.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

At least you got it all back, now that the public is more aware of Jetting they think is can do anything I go try to look first even in a clogged line and trace my camera if it feels real hard then I tell them if the line is even a candidate for jetting. I won't jet every line I have been stuck and even with warnings to the homeowner they quickly forget and think you owe them a new sewer or free repair to get the hose back. Really matters to me how my interaction with them is, if my gut says " run" I do.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

'Bet that was a healthy bill! Good job, Rick!

Comment

Did you extend the buried clean out to ground level?

You and that jetter are having some good adventures lately

Comment

You got thrown into a nightmare on this one. Glad you came out without even more trouble.

That's what the majority of people don't realize. Something like this or a little turn of the wrench can turn into a nightmare in the blink of an eye.

Cast iron sewer replacement on a resident. WTH? Who does this? Even in 1992? Sounds like some idiotic local code.

Comment

It's good to know that even the "the man" gets stuck once in a while. Not to long ago i got my cable stuck, this and that didn't work. owner broke,,, he knew it was 12ft deep at back of property due to his major tie in fiasco years gone by for his add on. I wanted my cable so i ran it to my winch and drove van out the driveway. It barely came back. I told him don't call me again unless he wants to fix it. long time ago i tied it to my front bumper and backed away, broke headlight that time, and didnt get it. It got dug up, but not by me, she had connections to city hall and they did it for her.

Comment

Hey Rick glad to see you were able to retrieve your equipment without any loss. It reminds me of the time we ran our camera through a outside clean out in the rear of a slab house and the guide balls got stuck in the rotted cast in the middle of the house. The cast had about a 1 1/2 inch wide area at the bottom of the pipe that was gone and the guide balls slid right in with the ribs sliding into the crack of the cast perfect. The owner had to remove carpet and concrete and about 20 ton of stone and dirt so we could retrieve the camera and replace the cast. Ever since that happened we have been Leary of using the guide balls.
                Mike

Comment

What perplexes me is that it went that far forward down the line through all those turns. I guess the combination of the fittings put a stranglehold on the hose. Sounds like a shifty sewer anyway. Glad nothing got badly damaged. I know many here feel differently but... I hate cast iron! Rick, do you think it was a coincidence that the other drain cleaner couldn't make it?

Comment

the line was cast iron, no hub. most sewers in beverly hills seem to be cast iron. i prefer plastic for the obvious reasons. and not because of cost. but because it's a better material for waste lines when installed properly.

not sure if the other guy couldn't cut through the roots or couldn't maneuver all the bends.

the hose worked it's way down due to the psi and gpm and ultimately the vibra pulse the last 15'.

the city has it simple. they have a manhole for a drop, then several hundred feet of straight pipe. only bend is the manhole entry and they have a massive hydraulic reel to pull it out with.

my hydraulic reel is mounted on the trailer and i was in the rear yard. very rarely do i get a job with a manhole, or anything else that my reel can pull out of. it's typically i hand feed it in and pull it out. then the reel winds it up.

well tomorrow is all day at a condo complex with 2-4'' cast overhead waste and area drains. pretty typical of my hoa jobs.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

MAybe one day soon we will have the " Rick's book of Tricks for Jetters" on the market. Unbelievable story Rick. Just goes to shpow there is more to it than just shoving a hose down the pipe. As a footnote had it been a Combo unit I would guarantee that 99 out 100 operators would hve just cranked up the rewind on the reel and pulled like no tomorrow.

Comment

my jetter has the hydraulic reel rewind. problem is i'm parked in the driveway and the cleanout is in the backyard 100' around the rear of the yard.

if you saw my worn shoulder and butt you would think i was hydraulic.

actually i came back with a cable come along and some rigging hardware. didn't try it as i found the buried cleanout that was the only diggable location.

some of the best tricks are the ability to go through a comby and riser backwards to get upstream. and still be able to feed and retrieve the hose.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                          Hey Rick glad to see you were able to retrieve your equipment without any loss. It reminds me of the time we ran our camera through a outside clean out in the rear of a slab house and the guide balls got stuck in the rotted cast in the middle of the house. The cast had about a 1 1/2 inch wide area at the bottom of the pipe that was gone and the guide balls slid right in with the ribs sliding into the crack of the cast perfect. The owner had to remove carpet and concrete and about 20 ton of stone and dirt so we could retrieve the camera and replace the cast. Ever since that happened we have been Leary of using the guide balls.
                          Yes a Guys Balls can get one in trouble. Ask the Generals !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

How about a cumalong an a fabric snatchum strap. Also a small earth auger,You can wind into soil if no trees near.We use to run the beaches in our 4 W Drives on Cape Cod.
                            Lots of Getting unstuck experience !
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

that's exactly what i loaded on the truck if the digging didin't work.

i've used a block and tackle before and it gives you a better feel than a come-along.

at 1 point we had 3 people on the hose with no results.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X