X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New motor in old machine

Doing first job with my gorlitz's new motor, worked great with a decent 50ft cord. But barely gets going with a hundred and with 150 it won't turn and starts smoking. I'm doing a roof job. Waitng for my guy to show up. This is the exact motor I've had in it that worked great for 30 years. Any ideas. Thanks

Re: New motor in old machine

What gauge are your cords?

Comment

i got out the thick big daddy cord i use with jackhammer, its not the gauge of cord. and to note for 30 years it never mattered what gauge cord i used on the machine. it always spun.

Comment

if ever thing is the "SAME" you said the exact same motor, then I would conclude the motor is faulty, or you have some thing dragging that is over loading the motor, (bearing) and it fried the old motor???,

I would most likely get a clamp on amp meter and voltage Gauge, and see what Amps it is pulling and if the voltage is correct, a 220 volt wired motor does not like 120 volts for dinner, (if it is a dual voltage motor),

is the reciprocal OK did you try a different one on a different circuit, could be loose wires in the wiring or a bad neutral in the wiring causing the voltage to drop,

I would check the motor wiring and see if it wired for the correct voltage,
        test the voltage and Amp draw with meters, compare them to the motor name plate and see if with in specifications,
        check the out of the receptacle, and test with like load if possible and see if the second machine has an issue, if it does and not normal, try a different circuit,
        check out the machine for a bearing that could be locking up under operation, (had a meat grinder that no load ran free and fine, but when a load was applied the bearing would shift internal to the bearing and would lock up), (I doubt if that is the problem but any thing is possible),
        Last edited by BHD; 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Asuming its hooked up corectly. I'll bet You cooked the motor by using the 150ft cord. The voltage drop is too much (resistance of cord), causing undervoltage and hence the smoke. It may be too ate for your "New" motor.

Wouldnt this be better listed under the electricians forum?
          Last edited by johncameron; 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

robert, toss the cable and go for the jetter

interested in jetting on wednesday, same general area.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

thanks rick. i tried different outlets, i got a new bearing thingamagig, pretty sure its not dragging, the wiring at outlet wasnt warm,the motor was though. i tried to wire it couldnt, gave up and let rooter store tech do it, there are like 8 connection with all the colors of wires available. im trying to save money to spend on new jetter, that is why i tried to rebuild. good thing i havent paid them yet. so im on the right side of fence as far as getting it fixed or have them credit me to a new machine. and no rick dont say get the k60, smile

Comment

John, you are bumming me out. if it was hooked up correctly the it should run through 150 ft of cord like it did on old motor for 30 years.
                this is a drain machine so is this the right forum.
                thanks,smile

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                  John, you are bumming me out. if it was hooked up correctly the it should run through 150 ft of cord like it did on old motor for 30 years.
                  this is a drain machine so is this the right forum.
                  thanks,smile
                  Why did you replace the old motor? Reason I ask is that it could be something like BHD mentions that killed the old one as well.

The quick answer is there is no answer. If you do something the exact same you should get exact same results. Which points to the new motor being different in some way, or a bearing problem. Probably the motor regardless if it looks the same and is supposed to be the same. Doubt the bearing problem.

Comment

Rick, another jetting lesson with you sounds great. give me the when and where. i will bring some water proof wear and show you how to push through hard bends, just kidding. smile

Comment

BHD, im sorry, i thought that great reply was rick, im on my phone and differnt layout, so missed it was, cant even figure out how to edit. thanks again bhd.

Comment

bobs plumbing,,,,
                        i replaced the motor cuz the old one over the last few years has been sputtering out.

my freind and the rooter store said it was the motor

im going to go play with it and see if it is turning freely.

i dont think i cooked the motor, i turned it off in time.

after the intial problems i had my guy come and worked it on the ground for me with the 50 foot cord while i was on the roof and it worked fine, thanks again
                        Last edited by theplungerman; 11-24-2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Its certainly a bad sign to see smoke coming out of it. A sign of overheating motor by overloading, or running it under voltage (which will over heat the windings) Again, it all has to do with voltage drop which is not recommended > 6% overall, which would bring your 120v rating to 112v or a 240v rating to only 225.6

Comment

thanks John,, I checked the rotation of the drum. its fine. from what you guys have said, I'm thinking a bad wire wire job from the overworked undermanned rooter store might be the reason. thanks you all so much.

Comment

rooter store guy said it was the cord i was using, to small,, it worked ok with a 12 gauge 100 ft. and he said the new motors are slower to get up to speed,,. ive used it several times and on a tough clog, no bogging down. all is fine thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X