Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warthog 3/8 w/ 4kpsi 6gpm

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
    Did you put a gauge on the end of the hose or at least look at the factory gauge to see what pressures you are getting with each tip?
    The factory gauge on the panel showed 4k for the warthog, can't remember if I checked on the root of ranger. Don't think so, I was holding it carefully and trying not to lose a finger. Lol while my freind turned it on and off. Will get gauge etc for end of hose.
    So if the nozzles are ported to big I won't be able to get 4k? Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
      The factory gauge on the panel showed 4k for the warthog, can't remember if I checked on the root of ranger. Don't think so, I was holding it carefully and trying not to lose a finger. Lol while my freind turned it on and off. Will get gauge etc for end of hose.
      correct. the pump is rated for a max. of 6 gpm at full rpm of the engine. based on the gear ratio and pump speed required. assuming that you can max out at 6 gpm, the pressure comes from the back pressure of the small jets. too large a jet and you'll flow your 6 gpm, but won't have any back pressure to raise the psi. too small a jet and you hit your psi, but can't flow enough water/ gpm to wash the pipe. the unloader dumps the excess water back into the inlet of the pump and then you have an overheating potential as the water circulates it can generate heat.

a tachometer is a very useful tool as it allows you to see the rpm of the engine and with some simple math, calculate the pump speed. plus you never really want to max out the engine especially with a smaller nozzle. in general if the psi hits 4000 and you still have throttle left in the engine, your nozzle is too small. same goes with if you run out of throttle and your psi is not at 4000 without messing with the unloader initial adjustment, your nozzle is sized too big.

simple test is to install a high pressure tee onto the end of the jetter hose. on the tee mount a high pressure gauge, at least 6000 psi rated. on the end of the line install a high pressure ball valve and short 3' jumper hose. open the valve full and then throttle the valve close slowly to attain your highest psi reading on the gauge next to the you. once you have played with getting the highest psi reading, direct the 3' hose into a large collection bucket/ trash can and measure the water collected for 1 minute. once you know your pressure and water volume at the end of the hose, sizing a nozzle is simple. also take note of the pressure gauge at the pump and compare the readings to the gauge at the end of the hose. this will be your friction loss and the only way around that is a larger diameter hose or a shorter section of hose.

nobody ever said that jetting was shoving a hose down a drain and it works there are physics that come into play. to get the most out of your unit, you have to have everything properly matched. hopefully jnw has done their homework with the nozzles and hose combination.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

This is why you need a foot pedal.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          This is why you need a foot pedal.
          doing a demo w/ a root ranger is hard cuz of the way u hold it against the wood,,, live (without) pipe, the warthog was easy demo,just stuck the plywood in front of the open end of pipe with the warthog peeking his head out.
          with that being said thanks im gonna get that foot pedal.
          thanks

Comment

thanks rick. i was going to test it tomorrow by sticking the root ranger and the warthog in a section of pipe and drain it into a bucket after the gauge on the front panel read 4k. but at the very least that would only tell me the jets weren't to big. (from what you just said).
            but your way makes sense. i have a high pressure ball valve and a 50ft pressure washer hose coming, i can do it then. if i don't have the jumper i can stick the ball valve in some 4 inch and drain that in a bucket. what would be an acceptable amount 5.5 5 or should i expect 6gpm at 4kpsi like jnw says it will do.

thanks
            robert

Comment

very useful thread

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                correct. the pump is rated for a max. of 6 gpm at full rpm of the engine. based on the gear ratio and pump speed required. assuming that you can max out at 6 gpm, the pressure comes from the back pressure of the small jets. too large a jet and you'll flow your 6 gpm, but won't have any back pressure to raise the psi. too small a jet and you hit your psi, but can't flow enough water/ gpm to wash the pipe. the unloader dumps the excess water back into the inlet of the pump and then you have an overheating potential as the water circulates it can generate heat.

a tachometer is a very useful tool as it allows you to see the rpm of the engine and with some simple math, calculate the pump speed. plus you never really want to max out the engine especially with a smaller nozzle. in general if the psi hits 4000 and you still have throttle left in the engine, your nozzle is too small. same goes with if you run out of throttle and your psi is not at 4000 without messing with the unloader initial adjustment, your nozzle is sized too big.

simple test is to install a high pressure tee onto the end of the jetter hose. on the tee mount a high pressure gauge, at least 6000 psi rated. on the end of the line install a high pressure ball valve and short 3' jumper hose. open the valve full and then throttle the valve close slowly to attain your highest psi reading on the gauge next to the you. once you have played with getting the highest psi reading, direct the 3' hose into a large collection bucket/ trash can and measure the water collected for 1 minute. once you know your pressure and water volume at the end of the hose, sizing a nozzle is simple. also take note of the pressure gauge at the pump and compare the readings to the gauge at the end of the hose. this will be your friction loss and the only way around that is a larger diameter hose or a shorter section of hose.

nobody ever said that jetting was shoving a hose down a drain and it works there are physics that come into play. to get the most out of your unit, you have to have everything properly matched. hopefully jnw has done their homework with the nozzles and hose combination.

rick.
                I posted this response in my-The eagle's has landed- thread,,, but seems more appropriate here. Given ricks remarks quoted here. Sorry if being redundant.

Tested the jetter today
                200 ft 3/8 with tee, gauge then ball valve,,, squeezed it down to to get 4kpsi then dumped into buckets with stop watch, only got 3ish gallons
                Then same set up with these psi and gpm figures
                3000psi 6.5 ish gallons
                3500psi 6 gpm
                3700psi 6gpm
                The volume decreased greatly when trying to get 3800 and up with psi.

Then took off tee and gauge and tested using gauge in front of machine
                For the 3/8 warthog which gave these numbers on 200 ft 3/8
                3800 psi 5gallons but barely or should say at least.
                Couldn't get the 4kpsi reading I got the first time I tried it 2 days ago

Root Ranger, same results as warthog.

I got a tach and hour meter.
                Rpm when at full throttle set by jnw, loaded (with water going thru unit) 3690,,, unloaded(water shut of to unit) 3840.

Any gurus have an opinion, smile, thanks.
                Robert

Comment

pressure readings will be different at the end of the hose and the machine when flowing water due to pressure loss from the hose diameter and hose length.

also while the ball valve will give you a decent adjustment for flow and back pressure, a needle valve is much more controllable. meaning you can fine tune the flow more accurately.

another simple test is to flow the water full blast with no nozzle and check the psi reading on the pumps gauge. this will tell you the pressure loss from the hose. of course the short jumper hose will have next to no back pressure.

also measure the gpm with no nozzle and note the rpm's you attained. don't over rev, especially with no load.

did you adjust the unloader/ pressure knob to a lower setting?

that would explain the drop in volume delivery. the only true way to keep from unloading is to adjust the knob to a higher pressure and read the gauge at the hose. or disconnect the bypass hose on the unloader and verify that it's not unloading back to the water inlet. a 4000 psi setting starts to unload a little early. adjust the unloader slightly higher will compensate for the bypass.

just don't go too much more than the factory set point.

try you nozzles at the job today and see how they work. take photos and hopefully some live video. keep your camera head a good 10' back from the nozzle when jetting. especially with the root ranger.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

right on Plumber Rick, out the door to my first jetting job,,, starting,,,,,,,now,,,,

Comment

I was very impressed with the warthog today. With what I have read my new jetter was on the bubble of it working. My first job with it was today. I wasn't sure the root infested sewer would succumb to my new toy. Well for the most part, it did. But a couple tough spots remained, it was then I put the root ranger down. The customer said it sounded like a jet engine. And pulled with much more gusto. Awesome nozzle. As much as I enjoyed the warthog i would choose the root ranger if i only had 1 choice. But I don't have only 1 choice. So get both

Comment

haven't i been telling you since day 1

pictures, pictures and more pictures.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          haven't i been telling you since day 1

pictures, pictures and more pictures.

rick.
                          Which is why I bought one. I have the old vcr monitor, so pics and clips have to wait. It's on my list. But top of the list is getting 4kpsi and 6gpm out of my new nozzles, or close to it. Jnw is on it.

Comment

Which is why I bought one. I have the old vcr monitor, so pics and clips have to wait. It's on my list. But top of the list is getting 4kpsi and 6gpm out of my new nozzles, or close to it. Jnw is on it.
                            Just wanted to let someone who is researching Jetters, nozzles, or jetters north west, that they helped me dial in the jetter and I achieved their stated specs. And the warthog delivered over 6gpm easily while maintaining 4kpsi.

Comment

Working...
                            X