Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Eagle Has Landed

Whoops sorry
    Last edited by theplungerman; 01-11-2013, 04:09 AM.

Comment

robert, for some reason, your link does't allow me to play the video.

but based on your photos, you overthinked the forward nozzle.

just buy a rotor with 1/4'' thead and probably a #5.5 nozzle. then you can eliminate all the excess bulk and fittings. all you need is a 1/4'' mip x 3/8'' fip high pressure adapter.

you can then use it on a spray wand too.

the 11/16'' cable might push a short distance, but the fiberglass rod will easily outpush the cable and weigh a whole lot less.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        robert, for some reason, your link does't allow me to play the video.

but based on your photos, you overthinked the forward nozzle.

just buy a rotor with 1/4'' thead and probably a #5.5 nozzle. then you can eliminate all the excess bulk and fittings. all you need is a 1/4'' mip x 3/8'' fip high pressure adapter.

you can then use it on a spray wand too.

the 11/16'' cable might push a short distance, but the fiberglass rod will easily outpush the cable and weigh a whole lot less.

rick.
        Ahhh, awesome thanks. So I only need the brass colored portion.
        The link works for me. From my phones and tablets. It's an awesome video showing the rr capabilities. Go to YouTube and search ;root ranger facing forward;
        Thanks for the 411

Comment

My initial search for fiberglass push rods wasn't real successful plus not sure exactly want I want. I'm thinking 3/8.
          I don't want to have to rely on the cable but for now it could get me out of a jam if I'm close enough.
          Haha, that would be 1 ridiculous spray nozzle. A weapon for sure.
          Thanks again rick.

Comment

Big day battle with roots in sewer.
            1st pic is where I got stuck with camera, unable to pass with warthog, root ranger and penetrator nozzels. And plumber I was doing job for called it quits
            2nd pic is 5 ft down line at 6 inch. Those 5ft of 4inch were severely impacted.
            3rd pic is pulling out section of 6inch to reveal 65 percent of it being impacted. This carpeted layer continued to city saddle for 12 ft. The spot is also at end of property line. And going into alley all the way wasn't on h/o wishlist.
            4th pic is sections cut out for your viewing pleasure.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by theplungerman; 01-09-2013, 03:26 AM.

Comment

I used the forward facing root ranger contraption first on the badly root infested 6inch to city to make sure I could get through and because it was still made up to blow forward.
              Then used the rooter ranger the way it was intended on the 6inch section. Wasn't fast wasn't easy.
              But to my delight me and my new toy finally had that 6inch section looking like it did the day it was put in over 65 years ago.
              Since access was so close there was root bits flying out the whole time. Quite a mess.
              Actual jetting was about 1.5 hour but changing rr configuration and bumping my forehead on my trucks bin door and taking pics,camera work,letting water drop etc was about 3.
              I again was a very happy with the Jetters performance.
              Now I wonder if I had a real forward facing root ranger with fiberglass push rod, could I have mined through that 4inch mess.
              But 1 thing is for sure, if I can get pass the roots my machine and the rooter ranger will prevail.
              The plumber was happy and satisfied to see me come back and do this on my dime. As I already paid. I told him I did it for knowledge of my machine's capabilities. And since this is about as hard as they come, I have invaluable information as to what I can clear away.
              So since a rr facing forward can cut a 2x4 in 40 sec I should be okay to get through next time. If not. Then I'll go out and buy a 40k set up and go from there.
              Thanks for letting me share.

Comment

robert, i was going to say you need a bigger jetter

biggest issue is the line is packed with roots and the water is killing off your power. of course if you were the city main, then you come in from the upstream manhole and blast away upstream. but since we don't have the ability to go upstream in a customers sewer, we have to get as much power to the nozzle and blast right up into the roots.

the most powerful nozzle is a root ranger. putting the rr on a push rod and letting the nozzle blast forward will slowly but surly get through. even with those roots and a line full of water.

but a traditional rr blasting back wards is not going to happen.

eventually you learn the tricks that work and get on the job experience.

also remember those roots didn't grow overnight and cleaning them doesn't happen in a matter of minutes.

good write up

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the shout out. It's good to know, or should I say good to have the confidence that with a front facing rr I can blast through next time. Thanks again for that.
                  It was quite a mess in there. I should also note it was nice having the warthog to push and clean all the shredded roots away.
                  I'm really enjoying the jetter and learning how to use it. And on that note, with your helping me out with replying it makes it much easier to know from a pro what it can and can't do.
                  Thanks again rick.

Comment

Hi plungerman. What does your new machine weigh and what are the dimensions? I am considering a large cart jetter such as you own and I am trying to find out if that one would even fit in my van. How do you like it so far?

Comment

Howdy, jnw told me 275 dry. And it's all of that, I don't know if that counts the hose, filled with gas, oils and hose I'm thinking 320. It pushes around real nice and the eye hook to lift it is centered nicely.
                      I love my new jetter. Next to my camera its the best item I have bought that's substantial. And their customer service at jnw is first class. I'll get the dimensions to you tomorrow.

Comment

Sorry, kinda of busy and didn't, (forgot) to take measurements. Feel free to call jnw and ask for John or Steve, they would be happy to answer all your q's. I have a jetter job tomorrow I'll take some measurements then.

Comment

Jetter Big Bruiser dimensions
                          26.5 width end to end valve and reel handles
                          21.5 width wheel to wheel
                          43.5 length,,,, cut off handles save 5 inches
                          44.5 height of reel.
                          and they replaced that silly gas tank in pic with a 5 gallon lid on top variety.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I contacted the company and I am very impressed. I might soon be getting my very own "Eagle" on yours (and Rick's) recommendation. Thanks again!

Comment

A very established plumber in my area called me for help today. He got his cable stuck in roots. I went out with my front facing root ranger contraption taped it to my cable and pushed through about 2 ft then his cable pulled back. But couldn't get it the rest of way down due to my extra hardware. Sent warthog down, pushed through about 6 ft of roots to make a way for the rr. Then put down rr the way it was built and bingo, clear as a bell. I love my jetter.
                              Whenever I go to the supply house I make it a point to contact at least 1 of the plumbers and show him my jetter or show him a video clip off my phone of what it can do. That has paid off 3 times so far.
                              my stand alone rr turbine came in today, now i need a pushrod. Getting there.
                              Thanks for letting me share.

Comment

Another plumber call me this morning, he banged on a stoppage for 2 hours last night and couldn't clear a root blockages.
                                Then after no success going thru a 2 inch w/ my penetrator nozzle, I suggested a clean out.
                                As I was holding firm with my new turbo nozzle (pic) and no success after a while, I started mumbling, r these guys in this forum stretching the truth about the jetting. But said to self, stop whining, a serious blockage takes a serious effort, couple minutes later,,,, WHOOSH. Thanks Rick and others. Smile
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X