Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Eagle Has Landed

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Nope....I could build it for about 2500. I'm really thinking of not doing the big jetter after all. The results I'm getting with my little one is crazy. Cutting roots out of a sewer line - YouTube
    cool beans. what kind nozzel you running? i was a tad confused. was there alot of tape going on there?

Comment

Did my first 2 jobs with jetter today, did a great job of cleaning roots out. What the warthog didn't get i used the root ranger to finish off. On both jobs today the only thing that kept them from being perfect cleanings was the roots i couldn't get in the dead part of the wye transition going from 4 to 6 inch.
      Later I thought that a nozzle with a very aggressive angle outward toward the pipe would wash them back into this non used part. Is that a 45 or 90 degree spray pattern. The first job I did looked better the first pass then a few extra passes later.
      All in all a great day and made a very good profit as well.

Comment

yes, the non flowing dead ended wye's are always an issue. with a snake, it useless, but with a jetter and a camera, the roots can be cut. i find that the root ranger can be aimed into the wye and cut/blow back into the wye to cut as much as possible.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Turbo nozzle. I use this just to get a hole and come back with the root ranger and clean it up. Works much better to open a hole then a snake. Tape?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i don't think robert realizes the turbo nozzle is taped to a fiberglass push rod. all he noticed is the amount of red tape on the hose.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Gear, you know where I think things are going with drain cleaning. (I think all cables will be an afterthought on a job. Something just in case that get rusty more than used.)

Do you and Rick offer cabling vs. jetting?

% more for jetting?

From experience....how often will one have to jet maintain vs. cable maintain?

Thanks.

Comment

when i do condo hoa's with subterranean garages and overhead waste lines in the garage ceiling. all i do is jetting for preventative maintenance. cabling doesn't come close to what a jetter accomplishes. at the end of the day i dump out/ throw out a good 10 gallons of hard grit and scale. with a snake, nothing comes back with a snake. and it's next to impossible to flush the heavy grit down the drain.

then there is the sludge. a snake and cutter does will only stir the sludge. not wash it out.

then there is the issue with access. a jetter will easily clean a 4'' line from a 1.5'' access / cleanout. not to mention i can start at a 1.5'' opening and continue to 2'', 3'' and 4'' without worrying about cable or cutter changes. i've done as big as 16'' lines with my jetter.

sure i still use my cables for 90% of emergencies. in fact i don't carry or tow a jetter with me on a daily basis. but when i do tow or carry a jetter with me on a weekly basis, it gets used the entire day on anywhere from 1 to 4 projects. sometimes i can sneak in a 5th project. pretty easy as the unit is self contained with the trailer unit.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I understand completely on HOA & larger situations with the trailer. But what about a single residence with say 75' of line with some roots?

K-60 for x$? Return next year for maintenance?

Jet for y$? Return in two years for maintenance?

I know there is no perfect answer and many times things can be case by case. Just getting a general idea.

Comment

ben is having great results with a small portable unit with very little invested.

i'm having great results with a very large investment on a commercial machine less than 1 year old. of course this is my 3rd. trailer unit in the last 9 years. but even my 15 year old portable machine has paid for itself in year 1.

the cables are great for getting a line to drain. but even with full size cutters doesn't guarantee a clean line. the jetter is great for actually cleaning a line out.

when it comes to outside area drain, i rarely use a cable anymore. too much mud, yard debris, roots and if they have a pool, diatamacious earth. pretty much a hardened plaster like substance.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                      Gear, you know where I think things are going with drain cleaning. (I think all cables will be an afterthought on a job. Something just in case that get rusty more than used.)

Do you and Rick offer cabling vs. jetting?

% more for jetting? Don't know real numbers but I'm jetting all the time. Only cable if the potential for water damage is to great. My k50 is being used all the time however.

From experience....how often will one have to jet maintain vs. cable maintain? The equipment? Hasn't broken yet but the cables will outlast a jetter hose. My jetter hose has lasted about 2 years so far. I blow out the water after every use and I believe that has something to do with it.

Thanks.
                      My biggest reason for jetting is because it's easier on the body. I'm still strong but you feel it whether loading a drum machine or tripping 160' of sectional cable. I can jet all day and not be sore. 2nd reason is the jetter does such a better job than a cable. One more example where a cable would be better is one a callback...go in there and try to retrive what caused the stoppage.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks gear and Rick, yeah rick I was confused and you cleared that up.
                        And thanks Rick for sharing about the wyes. Though the line looked great the hanging chads in the wyes lessened the finale. I know the root ranger is awesome, how about another awesome nozzle that squirts those left overs back into the wye for a prettier picture. With a,, is it a 90 or 45 angle spray pattern I'm asking about.
                        I got it, a root ranger with that pattern I'm asking about. Thanks

Comment

a big seller for me was the easier on body thing too. im tired of getting bound up in roots with customers who dont want to spend on a dig up.

did another jetter job today. yeah buddy, its fun,,,,

Comment

My new u bolt to add some stabilization when hoisting the eagle out and in to truck.
                            Look at me look at me.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by theplungerman; 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM.

Comment

i used a 3'' riser clamp.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                                Arrived this afternoon. the big bruiser plus. Along with the root ranger and warthog. Have some jobs waiting for it. Will report back with my impressions.
                                I've been eye balling that unit for awhile now, and even contacted the company for their price list.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X