X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K380 Drum reassemble sequence

I just took a job at a place that has a K380. First time I tried to use it, I found that the drum wobbles excessively. Took it apart to inspect and found that the plastic drum #86967 is cracked and worn unevenly at both holes where the drum support shaft #86957 enters and exits. The shaft is straight. When I push the drum as far back as possible to the bushings on the shaft, there is about ¾inch space between the front hole of the drum and the retaining ring #60050. I did not find either the spacer #97432 or the retaining ring #86972 on our unit.

Based on these observations, I checked with Ridgid Tech Services Dept and have ordered the following:
    86967, K-380 Drum Only
    86972, Drum Support Bushings (which comes supplied with the 86962 retaining ring)
    97432, Spacer

While they helped with parts, they didn't answer my reassembly questions, so I'm hoping somebody on this forum can help. Perhaps when I get the parts and start to reassemble, the answers will be obvious, but just in case, I'd rather ask first than have to redo it.
    Question 1: Since they weren't present on this machine, I can't determine exactly where and how the #97432 Spacer and #86962 Retaining Ring parts would be installed. I looked on the exploded parts diagram and it looks like they would just slide on the shaft following the drum.
    Question 2: I left the shaft bolted to the frame, so should I leave it on and then slide the drum assembly onto it, or remove the shaft and build the entire assembly on it and then bolt it back on the frame?
    Thanks!

Re: K380 Drum reassemble sequence

Your better to just buy a new one or buy a better machine.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

hope this helps.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/936A3AA...Machine_PL.pdf

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Are you saying the K380 isn't worth spending anything on to get it running again? The machine is owned by the property manager, who I work for. Right now, he's looking to me to get it fixed, not replaced. What I really need is some help getting that done!

Comment

the exploded view on the parts list should be the way it goes together, rick post the parts sheet, it looks like the two parts go just behind the C clip on the front of the shaft,

I will try to look at mine in the morning and see if I see any thing different,

it is a OK machine but geared for the home owner and low frequency of use, not really a "professional" grade machine,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Rick, Thanks for your help! This is the exploded parts diagram I mentioned in my post. Still unsure how that spacer and retaining ring will fit with the drum and shaft, and whether I should take shaft off or rebuild with it on the frame.

Comment

BHD - I guess I was typing while you were. I didn't see your response until I clicked send. That would be great if you could let me know what you see on yours. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HSJ View Post
                Are you saying the K380 isn't worth spending anything on to get it running again? The machine is owned by the property manager, who I work for. Right now, he's looking to me to get it fixed, not replaced. What I really need is some help getting that done!
                What the hell are you getting excited about? The machine new is less than $600 with cable and heads. Now look at the parts and time spent and ask yourself if its really worth it. You asked and I told you what I would do. Get over yourself. Its a perfectly adequate machine for 1-1/2" and 2".
                Last edited by Gettinit; 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

when down and looked and took a few pictures and drew out what I saw,

this is what I saw, (the shaft has been drawn out longer than actual for the sake of clarity)
                  note: added, the washer may be the front of the bushing see below near end added note. as the snap ring makes little sense and I do not see what retains the front bushing in the drum, so my drawing may not be accurate, (it is what it appeared, I would guess with it disassembled one can easily tell)

the under sides or back side,

again the shaft is drawn longer than actual

this picture is not as clear as I would have liked it to be, but shows the distance of the assembled machine,
                  with the drawing one should be able to figure it out.

this last picture here did not end up showing the washer but does show the spacing of the drum and frame

I hope this helps you in your reassemble of the unit,

yes I bought this machine used,
                  but i do not think it has ever been disassembled, besides the cable taken out and replaced, drum was left on the machine, it seemed to be a bear to re attach the cable in the back of the drum,

(I notice the spacer and the snap ring are reversed in the drawing from Ridgid, and with out disassembly really the use the second snap ring does not really make sense to me (unless it is holding the front bushing in the drum, which I can not tell from looking at the assemble machine, unless what I thought was a washer in the front is the bushing)
                  and if it is the bushing then MY drawing is wrong,
                  and the washer or spacer is inside on the, but I think I have taken good enough pictures and you can see what I saw,
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BHD; 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD:
                    Most appreciative for you taking your time to provide photos, sketches, and explanation. I'm confident that with your response, I can get this machine back in good running condition.
                    My job is to fix it for the property manager - I'm happy that with your help, I'll meet his expectations, and I'm now "excited" to keep my job!
                    Your help made my joining this forum absolutely worthwhile!
                    Happy Holidays to all!

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                      What the hell are you getting excited about? The machine new is less than $600 with cable and heads. Now look at the parts and time spent and ask yourself if its really worth it. You asked and I told you what I would do. Get over yourself. Its a perfectly adequate machine for 1-1/2" and 2".

Ridgid Powered Drain Cleaner 11 2" 4" K 400 Drum Machine 24853 New in Box | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        when down and looked and took a few pictures and drew out what I saw,

this is what I saw, (the shaft has been drawn out longer than actual for the sake of clarity)
                        note: added, the washer may be the front of the bushing see below near end added note. as the snap ring makes little sense and I do not see what retains the front bushing in the drum, so my drawing may not be accurate, (it is what it appeared, I would guess with it disassembled one can easily tell)

the under sides or back side,

again the shaft is drawn longer than actual

this picture is not as clear as I would have liked it to be, but shows the distance of the assembled machine,
                        with the drawing one should be able to figure it out.

this last picture here did not end up showing the washer but does show the spacing of the drum and frame

I hope this helps you in your reassemble of the unit,

yes I bought this machine used,
                        but i do not think it has ever been disassembled, besides the cable taken out and replaced, drum was left on the machine, it seemed to be a bear to re attach the cable in the back of the drum,

(I notice the spacer and the snap ring are reversed in the drawing from Ridgid, and with out disassembly really the use the second snap ring does not really make sense to me (unless it is holding the front bushing in the drum, which I can not tell from looking at the assemble machine, unless what I thought was a washer in the front is the bushing)
                        and if it is the bushing then MY drawing is wrong,
                        and the washer or spacer is inside on the, but I think I have taken good enough pictures and you can see what I saw,

Wow !!!

I'm hoping you can answer MY next question

Great effort !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X