X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I hope you guys weren't screwing with me

I've been using the roof vent on single story homes for kitchen drains. cuts way down on the mess. at least, in my experience.
    there have been times when I'd have liked to do the same for a main blockage, especially when the Cleanout outside is dry.
    Sometimes it's not that I Can't do it another way, it's that the roof is quicker and cleaner.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

of course clearing from the roof is something that gives us the advantage of not having to remove a toilet, a trap, or fight a back to back. not to mention absolutely no clean up or prep. no carpets or flooring to worry about.

when i use to use a drum 750, 7500, i would use some pvc flex hose / hdpe pipe banded to the vent and run it from the ground. problem was that i still ended up on the roof to install the flex and you had very little feel for the cable as it went up, across and back down.

with the k-60 sitting 2' from the vent, i feel the cable and stoppage as if it was on the ground. typically a 15' drop from the vent to the horizontal on a 1 story. i can usually find a 3'' or a 4'' vent and clean a main in just slightly longer than on the ground.

kitchens are even nicer as i can keep the sink full and use that to help wash out the stoppage. nothing taken apart and no cleanup or prep.

of course roof access is limited to roofs that are safe and not tile. and of course typically a single story climb. unless they have a balcony to let me jump to the second roof.

the only drums that ended up on the roof were limited to 3/8'' and 1/2'' machines. something i could lift and secure from rolling off. but that's all been replaced by the k-60 and a jettier if need be.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

so far I am Not regretting my decision. I even used it today to clear a washer/kitchen combo drain, which I thought might be a bit much machine for the job "cast iron with a cleanout tee in the crawlspace." But it cleaned it with no binding up, no hesitation, and more importantly, I was still in an out in under an hour.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          ..... the only drums that ended up on the roof were limited to 3/8'' and 1/2'' machines. something i could lift and secure from rolling off. but that's all been replaced by the k-60 and a jettier if need be.

rick.
          Rick you jet from roof? Cuz I was thinking of offering it?
          I put my go 68 on its back on ground and pull the cable thru the ladder rails, then auto feed it back with a come along, made to stick in vent, while smoking a cig, we'll when I used to smoke, it's almost my favorite part of the job, next to loading it back in with a winch,,,

Comment

#1, toss out the cable key and get a tapered scratch awl for your cable tool and handle lock.

#2, get some cheap harbor freight welding gloves. 3 pack for #11.00 works great.

more to come. phoebe needs to go to bed.

rick.[/QUOTE]

Rick,

What is the tapered scratch awl and what you use it for? and wer do i get one?....so far ive been enjoying my k-60 for all my roof jobs. i use to break down the spartan 300 and take it on the roof!!!..now that was work!!..the k-60 has made it much quicker and easier...im allways looking for any tips with it....Thanks!!

Comment

lonestar, look what santa delivered where you been hiding

scratch awls / ice picks, typically come tapered to a point. grind 1 side of the tip flat and that makes for a good wedge to slide under the pin.

also a phillips screwdriver of the right diameter also works good ground down. i believe it's a 5/32'' diameter hole.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Amazon.com: Klein Tool 650 Cushion-Grip Scratch Awl with 3-1/2-Inch Shank: Home Improvement

This is what I use...no grinding needed, also works with 5/8 cable.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Scratch awl is good,but for inexpensive-I began using #12 or #16 nails about 20 years ago.Cheap and works well.

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                    Scratch awl is good,but for inexpensive-I began using #12 or #16 nails about 20 years ago.Cheap and works well.
                    Never in a million years. Harder to find than the k-60 pin and the whole reason for the awl.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                      Never in a million years. Harder to find than the k-60 pin and the whole reason for the awl.

Hey, times are tough.................

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                        Several years back when I was new to sectionals, I was on a roof and forgot to remove my awl. Hit the power and clutch, and that sucker did a full gainer triple flip into the next yard. Never to be found again.

That's when I scoured the flat roof for a nail lying around.

I think I own the only ridgid prototype 4 in 1 sectional screwdriver disconnect tool in existence.

Goes along with my 1 of a kind 1500 spider and 1500 American pride machines.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I think I own the only ridgid prototype 4 in 1 sectional screwdriver
                          disconnect tool in existence.
                          Rick, what happened that this never came to exist?
                          Was it a bad design, not practical, or what?
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I think it was made to test out, but it was overkill. Nothing more than a ridgid 4 in 1 screwdriver with the bits ground down to a tapered flat. Back when Sara was the department head, she had it made for me.

She's no longer there and I have another display for the museum.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Rick
                            phoebe it is

Comment

They should've asked me on what to build....got a way better design for the scratch awl idea.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                I think it was made to test out, but it was overkill. Nothing more than a ridgid 4 in 1 screwdriver with the bits ground down to a tapered flat. Back when Sara was the department head, she had it made for me.

She's no longer there and I have another display for the museum.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Rick
                                My goodness, is there -1- thing you don't know about plumbing.

Comment

Working...
                                X