Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite 1/4" machine?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    chris, robert / theplungerman did jetting 101 and 101.1 in 2 days over a week period.

jetting is usually something i schedule, while snaking is typically on an emergency basis. never know when it's a snaking day or a plumbing day.

jetting i know a week in advance typically.

let me know what you might want to do and i'll make it happen.

double double and a shake works

rick.
    My soonest time availability would be sometime in February.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
      If your hands are big enough, you just hold the machine with your right hand around the body of the "drill", throttle it with your little finger and feed cable with the other hand. I've used the Milwaukee and hated it. I prefer the plastic drums just incase you get it too close to something. I remember seeing some drill snake that had a shoulder strap that attached to the front of the machine.

When I started, the machines we used didn't have retrievers, foot pedals or reverse. To reverse the direction of the cable you'd spin the reel backwards and then hit the switch after you got it going good.
      You can also rest the drum's hand hold to spin on a bent knee, hit the trigger with one hand, feed cable with the other.

Comment

Another huge reason I like the k50 is because I bend the cables for different situation. For the built up, really hard black stuff, I like a straight cable so it runs straight through like a drill. For soft stoppages, I use a bend on the front and strong bend it the middle. Got another cable that will drop straight through c/i traps with ease. Another one just for santee's.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Another huge reason I like the k50 is because I bend the cables for different situation. For the built up, really hard black stuff, I like a straight cable so it runs straight through like a drill. For soft stoppages, I use a bend on the front and strong bend it the middle. Got another cable that will drop straight through c/i traps with ease. Another one just for santee's.
          I use the same cable and bend as needed then snip off if the bend thing ain't happening and need to start over.
          Please share what kind of cable goes through c/i traps w/ ease. I have a 22 unit apt building with the tightest c/i traps out there. And those are NEVER easy. But luckily so far, I haven't had to open a ceiling yet or pull a tub or open a wall or......
          Last edited by theplungerman; 12-22-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know if the K-39/45 auto feeds advance cable faster than the K-40? I've used the k-40 and thought it moved slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post
              Does anyone know if the K-39/45 auto feeds advance cable faster than the K-40? I've used the k-40 and thought it moved slowly.
              Maybe you are putting too much tension on it?
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

in reality the auto feed system is pretty much identical with all 3. so you need to look at the tools rpm's.

the higher the rpm, the faster the auto feed rate.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post

Slow and steady steers the ship

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                    Slow and steady steers the ship
                    Yeah maybe for a master cheese maker from Wisconsin, but a young buck looking to make some. It's get in get done smile a lot. Next job. That was me back in the old days.
                    No offense.

Comment

in reality the auto feed system is pretty much identical with all 3. so you need to look at the tools rpm's.

rick.
                      Excellent point.
                      I had them change the gear on my new go 50 (that was b4 I knew of all you ridgid fellows, might be a different story) to make it spin faster. I love my auto feed.

Comment

rick.
                        Ah, found the k-40 specs rpm's @ 320 hit the k-45 @ 600. Tha would explain a bit. Looks like I'm hunting for a used 39/45af.

Comment

Search for one on Ebay
                          base models are $195 including shipping

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                            Search for one on Ebay
                            base models are $195 including shipping
                            I've been checking there and Craigslist. I can also get a used one with auto feed for about that much too. Obviously, the cleaner the unit the better. Are there any glitches to check for that would indicate a motor is going to fail? How robust is the feeder? Has anyone had to rebuild one?

Comment

I would buy new. At $195, you will make your money back quick. I have two with no problems
                              I would treat it same as a drill and make sure that it spins without wobble, hesitation, etc if buying used.
                              The auto feed works great. I have never had any problems. Never rebuilt it.

My biggest hang up is cleaning all the hair off the cable/auger after use.

Comment

Great thread ! I prefer 5/16 ...

Guns are fine pump the whole gun but I'm itchin to try out a little drum machine I've had sitting around ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X