Favorite 1/4" machine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite 1/4" machine?

5/16'' is what the k-39 and 45 was designed for. 1/4'' was never an option. 3/8'' is but gets heavy with 35'.

plus 5/16'' is typically more flexible than 1/4''.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

How tricky are cable changes with auto feed? Or is that why some of you cats have more than one? 35' of 3/8" would be nice for kitchen stoppages on upstairs condos.

Comment

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/87C45E7...5_K-45_Man.pdf

Easy.
        See above link

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post
          How tricky are cable changes with auto feed? Or is that why some of you cats have more than one? 35' of 3/8" would be nice for kitchen stoppages on upstairs condos.

Cable changes only take a few minutes but I carry 4 Ridgid pistol rodders in my van (best pistol rodder on the market) each loaded with a different cable. I change a few power feed bearings every year but other than that they have served very well.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            5/16'' is what the k-39 and 45 was designed for. 1/4'' was never an option. 3/8'' is but gets heavy with 35'.

plus 5/16'' is typically more flexible than 1/4''.

rick.
            I wasn't expecting this, I assumed the 5/16" would be stiffer. I'm really liking everything I'm reading here. Never thought I'd be jonesing for drain equipment, but I was really missing my top snake yesterday. Hauling my 3/8" drum machine upstairs was a PITA.

Comment

the 5/16'' is not as tight a wind as the 1/4'' and therefore a looser less stiff cable.

i remove my cable after use and that's why i can get 100 plus stoppages out of it. takes literally a couple seconds to remove. and a couple minutes to reload with no tools. if the inside drum is wet, it take a couple extra minutes to loosen 4 screws and remove the inner drum to clean and dry. but a dry drum keeps the cable from rusting and keeps the drum from spitting out muck.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post
                I wasn't expecting this, I assumed the 5/16" would be stiffer. I'm really liking everything I'm reading here. Never thought I'd be jonesing for drain equipment, but I was really missing my top snake yesterday. Hauling my 3/8" drum machine upstairs was a PITA.

It also greatly depends on which brand cable you get.

Comment

the ridgid brand sraight bulb end. the 1/4'' was not designed for this machine. nor offered as an option.

the 5/16'' hollow core with bulb end is a very good cable to make it aroud tight traps.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    the ridgid brand sraight bulb end. the 1/4'' was not designed for this machine. nor offered as an option.

the 5/16'' hollow core with bulb end is a very good cable to make it aroud tight traps.

rick.

1/4" cables run fine I have them in two of my guns.

Comment

You can also rest the drum's hand hold to spin on a bent knee, hit the trigger with one hand, feed cable with the other.

yes that is the way i always ran my marco pick a pak 1/4" or 5/16" cables, also a fan of gorlitz
                      go 380/250 with 1/4" cable down though basket strainer around deverter tee, and down p-trap
                      out the drain line to clear blockage all without pulling trap or making a mess !
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                        yes that is the way i always ran my marco pick a pak 1/4" or 5/16" cables, also a fan of gorlitz
                        go 380/250 with 1/4" cable down though basket strainer around deverter tee, and down p-trap
                        out the drain line to clear blockage all without pulling trap or making a mess !
                        I always pull the trap on a blockage. That is if no clean out. As far as lav clogs. Even though you clear it and it runs great, there is a chance of some bobby pins or something similar that will catch hair and it will plug back up to fast.
                        Now if I'm there for something else and the bill is already sizable I'll go for the quick hit down the pop up. I've never gone down a ks basket strainer to clear but I hear of some who do. Power to you.

Comment

I was just looking at the K-60 web page, and noticed when viewing the video that they suggest that the handle on the K-60 allows it to be easily carried up ladders.

Now I know you are will say you have done this a hundred times but carrying something that weighs ~50 pounds up a ladder in one hand and trying to maintain 3 points of contact with the ladder is not possible. You are setting yourself up for a fall if you do this and anyone who has done it knows they are because the hairs on the back of your neck have to be tingling when you do climb a ladder with this or any other heavy tool in your hand.

While not totally disallowed under OSHA regulations it is not a good practice to be carrying something of this size and mass when climbing up or down a ladder. For RIDGID to imply that it is OK to do so could put them at risk if someone should fall while following the suggested guidance in the video or elsewhere (inside the manual maybe, I have not read it).

My point is you should think twice about doing this and maybe haul the machine up and down with a rope. You can't take the machine and the cable up in one trip anyway, if you did you would be seriously overloaded. But you could do it with only climbing once if you rigged a rope to each load and took the ends of those ropes up with you. Then you could haul the machine up on one rope and the cables on the second rope, then reverse the process going down thereby saving yourself two trips on the ladder.

Now I have never myself done this so I am sure I am viewed as FOS but to someone who likes to stop and say to myself "is this the safest way to do this?" this is my gut reaction to the suggestion by RIDGID to hand carry the machine up a ladder. However I have carried items up ladders in my career (and looking back I have to question my judgement on some of them) in the trades so I don't see this as much different.

We each have to decide for ourselves what level of risk we are willing to take and how it might effect ourselves and others including our family. If you have employees then you should give this some serious consideration because you would have additional risk involved.

Work safe and think before you act. I'd hate to be reading that a member here was injured because they tried to save a trip on the ladder by carrying something they shouldn't. I have a friend who has not worked since 1986 when he fell from a step ladder from only the second step up (he was not carrying anything at the time, just lost his footing). He fell backward onto some sheetrock which injured his back and he has no movement of his legs and has been in a wheelchair since.
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 12-27-2012, 06:08 AM.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Bob, I agree, it is not that safe and I wish it was the heaviest or dumbest thing I tried to do with a ladder. Problem is, with what you suggest is as dangerous or more so. Getting around the eve of a pitched roof and its gutter with a rope is more dangerous in my opinion. You are suggesting, at the very least, to be at the edge of the roof line, leaning over the edge trying to pull the machine up and around without damaging the property.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • conductor fault locating
                            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                              Bob, I agree, it is not that safe and I wish it was the heaviest or dumbest thing I tried to do with a ladder. Problem is, with what you suggest is as dangerous or more so. Getting around the eve of a pitched roof and its gutter with a rope is more dangerous in my opinion. You are suggesting, at the very least, to be at the edge of the roof line, leaning over the edge trying to pull the machine up and around without damaging the property.
                              I know, what you say is true, being at the edge of the roof and hauling up a load does have its risks too. If
                              you are tied off maybe not so much but still there is risk.

I'm just trying to say that each situation needs to be evaluated and some thought given to how to proceed safely.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get items such as this up there without incurring some risk of a fall.

Some sort of simple elevator that was part of or could be attached to a ladder might be possible, I'm just
                              thinking out loud here and have no idea if anything like that exists but it seems plausible.
                              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I have an idea !!!

How about keeping two feet on the ground and staying off the roof

Comment

Working...
                                X