X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite 1/4" machine?

Some sort of simple elevator that was part of or could be attached to a ladder might be possible, I'm just
    thinking out loud here and have no idea if anything like that exists but it seems plausible.
    YES IT IS CALLED A LIFT TRUCK AND MANY TIMES WISHED I COULD USE ONE !
    THE TRICK IS TO BALANCE THE LOAD ON THE RIGHT KNEE THIGH STEP UP LADDER ONE RUNG AT A TIME THEN BRING LEFT FOOT UP TO SAME LEVEL,
    I HAVE HOWEVER THEN USED MY EXTENSION CORDS TO LOWER EQUIPMENT OFF OF THE ROOF
    AND WHEN LADDER STARTS TO SLIP MY CONTRACT WITH THE COMPANY TO CARRY MACHINE IS CANCELED !
    AND I LOOK OUT FOR NUMBER ONE ME !
    HAPPENED TWICE IN 30 YEARS
    Last edited by JERRYMAC; 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM.
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
      Some sort of simple elevator that was part of or could be attached to a ladder might be possible, I'm just
      thinking out loud here and have no idea if anything like that exists but it seems plausible.
      YES IT IS CALLED A LIFT TRUCK AND MANY TIMES WISHED I COULD USE ONE !
      THE TRICK IS TO BALANCE THE LOAD ON THE RIGHT KNEE THIGH STEP UP LADDER ONE RUNG AT A TIME THEN BRING LEFT FOOT UP TO SAME LEVEL,
      I HAVE HOWEVER THEN USED MY EXTENSION CORDS TO LOWER EQUIPMENT OFF OF THE ROOF
      AND WHEN LADDER STARTS TO SLIP MY CONTRACT WITH THE COMPANY TO CARRY MACHINE IS CANCELED !
      AND I LOOK OUT FOR NUMBER ONE ME !
      HAPPENED TWICE IN 30 YEARS

Jerry, that's kind of what I was thinking. something like the ladder lifts used by roofers, but purpose built for the K-60.
      Maybe a detatchable carriage with flanged wheels with the flange to the outside to keep it running on the rails that
      would connect to the K-60, and had a latching mechanism such as used on extension ladders that would keep it from
      falling/slipping downward if you lost your grip on the rope. Since we are not talking a very heavy load I don't see a
      winch being needed. Whatever it is would have to be small enough that it did not take up a lot of room in the van and
      is easy to put on/off because if its a pain to use it won't get used.

But I have given away too much here. Ridgid call me and we can discuss my royalities on the first 50,000 units, after that its all yours.

Oh, almost forgot...patent pending.

By reading this thread you have all virtually signed a NDA for this product under development
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

bob, the k-60 weighs in under 45#. if a plumber / drain cleaner needs a special lift to get that up on a roof, they shouldn't be up on a roof in the first place.

very few times have i ever roped a k-60 or 90' cage of cable up on a roof. still pretty easy as you suggested with a rope already attached and brought up with you.

but a lift from a ladder for 45# is overkill.

when i was doing new construction and finish, i wish i had a lift for the 10,000's of toilets, sinks and water heaters. fortunately the appliances were supplied by the owner and we never had to hump them up the stairs.

only on jobs 60' above ground level did they provide a construction elevator. of course with a 1story below grade plus 5 stories above grade, it was just under 60'.

we did attempt winches on water heaters, but the typical apartment heaters were 40 gallon and 1 man could easily carry a 40 gallon up the stairs. while a winch took at least 2 to work.

tried to get the company to buy a roofing conveyor, but that was only a dream.

they do make extension ladder lifts that are either gas powered or electric, but it's used for running material up and down. a 45# machine would be a joke to set up and transport this lift.

of course if the 45# is too much for some, then the timberwolf setup can be used. 1 could stretch out as much cable as needed and coupled together, with a rope attached to 1 end. they could pull up a continuous section and lower it with the end handled by the rope.

of course there's always a jetter with only the hose going up the ladder onto the roof.

and then again, not every plumber or jobsite is ideal for vent top cleanings.

for me, 2 stories on an extension ladder is my limit. 4 on an outside built in ladder.

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I like the, if you can't lift 45# on a roof yada yada angle.
          I have fell off roofs twice, 1 was mostly my fault, the other not so much. I have almost fell several other times do to moss or bad tiles etc.
          I now have a fear after about 14 ft.that kicks in. I'm 53
          For about 5 years I have a new policy now. I'm not going to be a hero to clear a drain and risk getting paralyzed. To save someone a 2 or 3 hundred dollars.
          So under no circumstances will I go on top of a 2 story or more. A built in ladder and a helper is another thing.
          Rick, for the sake of you, your wife and PHOEBE stop going on more than 1 story. And break out the saws or shovels.

Comment

Did You really pick up a plate compactor with one hand ? I'm impressed !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Did You really pick up a plate compactor with one hand ? I'm impressed !
              yes and no.

the price dropped when i lifted the 203# with 1 hand.

the price dropped even more when i did it with 2 fingers

i tried for even a better price with 1 finger, but couldn't wrap my finger around the roll cage to get a good enough grip

and i did have a few wittiness. unfortunately no video.

think about it, most people / plumbers who work with the tools, have strength from the work they do.

at 1 time i could twist off a door knob with all the no hub band tightening over the years. now i don't do production work and i'm getting older. 49 8/12 plus new tools and toys like a 12 volt no hub wrench set for 60'' and 80"#

i'm sure we all have some special skills and tricks that can be fun to see at another roundup

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Look up ladder crane. HVAC guys use this all the time and they work great.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Its so much the weight as it is maintaining contact with the ladder. If you 20# or 45# in your hand that hand is still busy holding something and not available to grab the ladder. Now I know you will say you will drop that load and grab the ladder but that second or two while you decide to do so could be the difference between life and death.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

If you're worried about the weight and carrying it up a ladder, put a shoulder strap on it and let it hang. Y'all are really making this too complicated. Oh, and this thread is about 1/4" cable machines, not the K60. My tool bag weighs more than the K-60.

Comment

Been using my 81 for years, like the versatality but I'm soon to take my drum machine and run 5/16". If I go with 3/8" I take the chance of breaking off the brittle PVC trap arms which are rarely supported properly when dog legged in front of windows.

Gave up a call (no charge when I don't clear them) this week that 10' would of made the difference, tired of hand feeding the 81 as it wreaks havoc on the hands.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
                        If you're worried about the weight and carrying it up a ladder, put a shoulder strap on it and let it hang. Y'all are really making this too complicated. Oh, and this thread is about 1/4" cable machines, not the K60. My tool bag weighs more than the K-60.
                        You are right. I think I am the one that got this thread sidetracked, sorry for that.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

1/4" - GO15

roof? why bother? pull a toilet.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            1/4" - GO15

roof? why bother? pull a toilet.
                            Yes on the go15.
                            Pull toilet? why bother? Hop on roof.

Comment

Pull toilet = water spillage from sewer line. I would rather not do that.

Comment

Wait, what good is a 1/4 cable going to do with a pulled toilet anyway?

Comment

Working...
                                X