Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite 1/4" machine?

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
    Pull toilet = water spillage from sewer line. I would rather not do that.

Isn't the REAL reason you go to the roof because you run a messy sectional and don't want to splatter the bathroom ???

Can't say that I blame you I would never do it either I just roll my drum up and put a little shop rag underneath the power feed to catch the few drops of water.

I'm still sticking with the K-45AF

Last edited by AssTyme; 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

No it's not. It's because it's faster, easier, cleaner, more efficient and the better choice. With a sectional you have the choice to run from a roof or indoors. 90% of the time, I'll do the roof over the toilet. Even did a k50 5/8" cable 45' through an installed toilet.

Let's see a drum do that.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
        Isn't the REAL reason you go to the roof because you run a messy sectional and don't want to splatter the bathroom ???

Can't say that I blame you I would never do it either I just roll my drum up and put a little shop rag underneath the power feed to catch the few drops of water.

I'm still sticking with the K-45AF

I doubt that when you have a clogged sewer, water standing in both tubs that you can pull a toilet and catch the water spillage with a rag. It's the same mess as pulling an indoor sewer clean out and letting the water run everywhere.

I don't make a splatter mess with a K-60 when I choose to use it inside, not that I want to rod any sewers inside a customers home in the first place.

Why do you use that Spartan 300?? You've mentioned a few times how it didn't get the line unstopped and had to go to the drill and eel. Is that 300 not enough of a machine? How about those problems with the cable welds breaking, are you overdoing it with your machine?

Do you use the drill and eel in residential customers bathroom when the 300 lets you down? Surely that's a splatter mess, n'est-ce pas?

Comment

I doubt that when you have a clogged sewer, water standing in both tubs that you can pull a toilet and catch the water spillage with a rag. It's the same mess as pulling an indoor sewer clean out and letting the water run everywhere.

I use the tub stop or block drain to keep water in tub.

I don't make a splatter mess with a K-60 when I choose to use it inside, not that I want to rod any sewers inside a customers home in the first place.

Yada Yada Yada.......... If you were servicing my area you would be absolutely crazy to go on 95% of roofs.

Why do you use that Spartan 300?? You've mentioned a few times how it didn't get the line unstopped and had to go to the drill and eel. Is that 300 not enough of a machine? How about those problems with the cable welds breaking, are you overdoing it with your machine?

Although my 300 gets 90% of my mains open with no problem it's no wonder machine like the K-Silly (sarcasm) and there are times when a larger rod is necessary.

All of my .55 cable issues have been replaced under warranty with new by Spartan.

Do you use the drill and eel in residential customers bathroom when the 300 lets you down? Surely that's a splatter mess, n'est-ce pas?

I've had to use it once in a commercial bathroom and yes I had to prep for the mess as it's a sectional.
          Last edited by AssTyme; 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

There's other water in the line that you are neglecting, ya know.......

Meh. I suppose I could school you on your failed theory of something you've never used and refuse to understand, but I'm not that into you.

Do what you want, carry on with your anti-K60 OCD. I've got stuff to do.

Comment

I never said I would catch anything with a rag other than the several drops of water that will drip off from under my power feed when I bring the cable back in.

And no, it's far from the same mess.

There's other water in the line that you are neglecting, ya know.......

Really......... shop vac it

Meh. I suppose I could school you on your failed theory of something you've never used and refuse to understand, but I'm not that into you.

Do what you want, carry on with your anti-K60 OCD. I've got stuff to do.

It's kinda like jumping off a 100' bridge, I just know better

Happy New Year !!!

C'Ya !!!

Comment

I'm convinced the roof argument is a regional thing. It's just pointless here. Snow hip deep if not armpit deep anywhere around the house except the drive and the entry, steeply pitched lot, steeply pitched roof up several stories covered in snow, and at least 5 two inch vents that wander through god only knows how many bends before they drop. If I did a bunch of three bed/two bath single story ranches with shallow pitched roofs and a single 4" vent a straight shot down between the back to back bathrooms, then sure. But those don't exist here. And even if they did there is still the snow to think about.

So, if you live somewhere roofs make any sense, then a machine you can carry up there easy starts to make sense. The light weight and breaks down into small pieces features of the k-60 just don't matter to me; I'm not going on a roof here, regardless of with what machine, as it is a pointless waste of time if not downright dangerous here.

Anyway I just want to point out that a lot of technique choices end up being dictated by the era and type of construction of the building, and by weather and terrain, and by personal preference. The sectional vs drum debate will (sadly) never die, but I think both sides might be right when one understands the circumstances in which the other guy works.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  I'm convinced the roof argument is a regional thing. It's just pointless here. Snow hip deep if not armpit deep anywhere around the house except the drive and the entry, steeply pitched lot, steeply pitched roof up several stories covered in snow, and at least 5 two inch vents that wander through god only knows how many bends before they drop. If I did a bunch of three bed/two bath single story ranches with shallow pitched roofs and a single 4" vent a straight shot down between the back to back bathrooms, then sure. But those don't exist here. And even if they did there is still the snow to think about.

So, if you live somewhere roofs make any sense, then a machine you can carry up there easy starts to make sense. The light weight and breaks down into small pieces features of the k-60 just don't matter to me; I'm not going on a roof here, regardless of with what machine, as it is a pointless waste of time if not downright dangerous here.

Anyway I just want to point out that a lot of technique choices end up being dictated by the era and type of construction of the building, and by weather and terrain, and by personal preference. The sectional vs drum debate will (sadly) never die, but I think both sides might be right when one understands the circumstances in which the other guy works.

I totally agree well said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

my favorite 1/4 inch machine is a super v

Comment

Originally posted by cheesehead plumber View Post
                      my favorite 1/4 inch machine is a super v
                      me 2 big cheeze
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I said K 45 AF was my favorite, but as Rick pointed out it's actually a 5/16" machine. So my favorite 1/4" machine is Gorlitz 380/250.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
                          I said K 45 AF was my favorite, but as Rick pointed out it's actually a 5/16" machine. So my favorite 1/4" machine is Gorlitz 380/250.
                          I used that machine for over about 28 years, did no maintenance, replaced the drum a few times, maybe 5,who's going counting, and a couple of switches. It was dieing on me but still working until I went to grab a part in a hurry and forgot to close the back doors, as I was Turning into traffic and looking for vehicles in my rear view mirror i saw it hurtling across the street end over end many times. That was it, she said enough is enough and went to the garage unable to turn again. So got a go15.
                          Thanks for letting me share.

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                            I used that machine for over about 28 years, did no maintenance, replaced the drum a few times, maybe 5,who's going counting, and a couple of switches. It was dieing on me but still working until I went to grab a part in a hurry and forgot to close the back doors, as I was Turning into traffic and looking for vehicles in my rear view mirror i saw it hurtling across the street end over end many times. That was it, she said enough is enough and went to the garage unable to turn again. So got a go15.

Priceless moment...................

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                              had to laugh to keep from crying,wish I had a dollar for every tool that went flying out the back of my trucks back door

Comment

K 45 af its fantastic except the little screws that hold the drum on pop out all the time. There's little brass hollow wall anchor type sleeves I ended up superglueing them in place and haven't had a problem since.

Comment

Working...
                                X