X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a good day fishing

had a camera job today for another plumbing contractor that he has had 2 stoppages in the last 4 months for his new customer. ran my seesnake in 41' to discover a broken snake cable and under water at 51'.

went in with my 1.25'' timbewolf and 3'' sawtooth cutter to open the line and see what i was up against.

heavy roots and at least 2 cables broken off inside the line. swapped over to my 1.25'' funnel auger to go fishing with. since i knew he distance to the cables and my sectional cables are 10' long, it's pretty easy to know where you're at. after doing some custom heating and bending my auger to scrape an grab, i hooked the first cable.

camera again to see the next cable, hooked that, camera, hooked the third with a big root at 56' and camered to see the city main at 66'. all in all i hooked 3 cables and still see 2 more in there.

who would be so dumb as to run a .55 cable and 1/2'' cable in a 4'' x 6'' line with a large magnolia tree sitting right over the clay sewer line. emailed the owner and contractor the photos and suggest to go back to jet the large root at the 6'' main. it's not a mass, but a very stout 3/4'' diameter root. couldn't hook it and the saw cutter just skips around it. the jetter will blast it to a toothpick.

here are some photos of the job.

rick.

first hook with my 1.25'' cable and auger.

second hook and a large mature root too.

3rd. hook of a twisted cable.

my 3 catches of the day

the green mark in the street is the 56' mark with a root and cable still to come. curb is 51' and lawn mark was the 41' original cable. cleanout just outside of porch in planter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-10-2013, 01:54 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: a good day fishing

Were you able to get the last 2 cables out or were they stuck in there to good? How long were the cables you pulled out? Great skills Rick.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Well done guru.
      And you didn't get the other 2 because? (they were tied up in big fat roots?)
      And what jetter?
      Does it cost more than a new 2013 fully loaded Honda Accord.
      Thanks for sharing.

Comment

what were people thinking using snakes that small in a root laden drain?
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

The 3 cables were 8'-10' long. Emailed the owner, the photos and waiting for a go ahead to jet the 6" root out.

My plumber contact has only a 4 month track record . Not sure how old the cables are, but there are 2 different types of cables and are very rusty. Let's see if the owners kids have any info.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

it looks like k-50 cable. i know it's rated for 4" but, really? who would use it for roots? Once i get my company off the ground we will have to talk jetters. The use of jetters out here is almost taboo. Guys here think if it can't be ground out it has to be dug up!
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Was not sectional cable. Looks more like Spartan .55 cable. Spartan 300 is pretty common with companies that show up and can't clear the line and sell them a jetter or dig job.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                Was not sectional cable. Looks more like Spartan .55 cable. Spartan 300 is pretty common with companies that show up and can't clear the line and sell them a jetter or dig job.

Rick.

Yeah right, LMAO !!!

Nice try but the cable you have pictured is FAR from magnum cable. It's NOT double wound and there is no core.
                Last edited by AssTyme; 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                  Yeah right, LMAO !!!

Nice try but the cable you have pictured is FAR from magnum cable. It's NOT double wound and there is no core.
                  You're only seeing the smaller open cable. The others are larger than 1/2" & smaller than 5/8". Only size left is .55 and that's a Spartan size. I have an identical piece at the shop pulled out years ago from a line that was snaked with a Spartan 300 they broke off in an area drain of roots.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

whatever kind of cable that is, it is really worn down...almost flat coils.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Why not pack up all the broken cables like gift boxes, then mail them to different rooter Company's in the area , COD ?" RED RIBBON ON EACH CABLE"
                      Last edited by toolaholic; 01-11-2013, 09:59 AM.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree !!!!

Comment

Actually I have a late holiday party tonight at the shop that hired me. I'm bringing the cables for a gift exchange.

Maybe we'll also play the video during the party on the big screen.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

so i went back with my jetter and my "fishing rod"

easy to hook a big fish. try hooking a gold fish.

rick.

it's not the size of the catch, but the challenge of the fight. had to hook this almost 60' into the line.

this 2' section was a difficult fight. hooked it and dropped it several times while trying to pull it out from 60' in. finally got it to within 2' of the c/o and used my grabber tool to pull it out.

not a bad day fishing. a total of 5 cable sections in this line. other than a serious crack at the 56' mark where the big root was coming in, the line is spotless.

the other 3 cables from last week were all about 8' long. those were easy to hook. the short cables are the challenge.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-18-2013, 04:43 AM.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Awesome job Rick. How many hrs total work was it to retrieve the 5 cables? Was the customer impressed?

Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X