Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred coupler style and brand of cleaning heads.

I want to first thank all senior members for all your personal advice, and your dedication to the forum in general. I have spent many many hours reading posts and have learned a lot.

Here's my situation. I only do small internal lines right now. Max 4", nothing to the street yet. All residential, for now. I'm looking at making some new cable purchases, (3/8 @ 75' & 1/2" @ 100',) my question is your preferred choice of coupler and brand of heads. I'm not stockpiled with one type of coupler cleaning heads, so I can go with something new. My plan is to get inner-core cables so far.

I'm slowly building this business (about 3 years into it) and learning as I go, so I greatly appreciate all and any advice you can give me.

Plumber Rick. I was reading about the reverse funnel you made, do you have any pictures. It sounds like I should make one. OR buy one if someone sells them.

Thanks again.

John Schulte

Re: Preferred coupler style and brand of cleaning heads.

I would probably buy General cables, supposed to be the best cables out. The "reverse auger" is just the end cut off on a sectional cable. Some guys will spread out a drum cable and run the machine in reverse also. This trick has been around forever but kudos to Rick for making it well known.

Comment

Thanks Tom,

What couplers do you like on your cables?

J

Comment

I prefer slip joint ends. Both ends are the same, you don't have to have a male end and a female end.

Comment

I would also with general cable .they come with sloted ends. Theres a lot of diff. Heads for those size cables, get there 1nch clog chopper for those 1.5 to 3.o drain lines it will get threw those tough clogs. And general makes the toughest cable in the buss.

Comment

Any other input out there?

Thanks.

Comment

since it sounds like you're a drum man, i would stick to what you have good access to. nothing wrong with general but ridgid uses a k50 and k60 style coupler on those 3/8'' and 1/2'' cables. that would be my choice as i know you'll come around to sectional and then have all the cutters for the sectional cables.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

For the 3/8" cable I would go with a Ridgid end that uses the K-50 cutters. You get more selection for different cleaning needs. I know you did not mention 3/4" cable, but I use Ridgid, with punch pin ends, and I use an Eel 3/4" by 1 1/4" adapter to run the Eel cutters on my machine.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks guys. That's the type of input I'm looking for.

Rick, I'm already looking at sectionals, and I'm going to begin the purchase of cable lengths a few at a time as I can afford it. I'll be following the consensus of my reading, 1.25 General with 1/2 inner-core, if I remember right.

Comment

I use the 5/8 inner core sectionals....works great for me. I like the ridgid stuff for cables. General are very long in length, Ridgid is short and compact. If I had to do everything over again, this is what I'd buy in this order.

K50
                    K60

I'd only buy the drill sectional setup if you run into alot of 6", the runs are short. Otherwise you'll spend alot of money for that really bad job that happens in a blue moon. I used to have a K3800 and sold it once I got my K60. I really started liking sectionals for inside stuff when I got my k50
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by schulte View Post

Rick, I'm already looking at sectionals, and I'm going to begin the purchase of cable lengths a few at a time as I can afford it. I'll be following the consensus of my reading, 1.25 General with 1/2 inner-core, if I remember right.

If you're going to order online It would be better to save your $$$ and order all at once unless you like paying for shipping multiple times.

I like the Eel cable as it's more open wound which self feeds in & out a bit faster & also helps when pulling out roots & wipes twisted up in the cable after the job is complete.

Setup also comes in handy for tight working conditions, overhead jobs & long or tough 4" runs.

Very low cost for cable & drill it's a no brainer
                      Last edited by AssTyme; 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schulte View Post

Are you speaking of 1.25" sectional cable? If so ----
                        You might want to try one section of inner core cable with the rest hollow core to start.
                        If not,sorry I misunderstood.

Comment

Working...
                        X