X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crap Shooter

This thread sure turned into a crap shoot... Who woulda thunk..jjk.

Comment

Just ran out of popcorn myself.

Comment

If we're done with the yelling, I'll answer the question...

Kitchen sink lines are top of the list for applications for a small electric jetter. Odd that you mention that specifically as an example of foolishness. I wonder if it IS regional. I jet kitchen sinks because it is cleaner, faster, and easier. I've done far too many to count where the jetter succeeds after others with a cable have failed. I wonder what is different for us.

I do vanity sinks with a jetter as well, again because it is faster, easier, and cleaner than a cable. Vanities I sometimes follow with a cable if I suspect hair. The jetter can slip through a wad of hair, clean it, and leave it behind. Rarely, but it does happen. I follow with a cable sometimes for this reason. Typically in cast iron as that catches the hair when copper and abs or pvc will not.

My experience and practice is opposite to conventional thought for both those cases in several ways. People think jetting is more difficult and messier. "you'll spray black everywhere with a jetter" No, I won't. I don't. I do it every day. And my hose doesn't come back dripping or flinging black around the cabinet like a cable can do. For most people jetting a sink is a post cable upsell. For me it is not; it is a faster easier way to do the job. I don't charge more for it. And when I do do both on a vanity, I jet first, not second; my cable comes back clean with a clean hair wad on it as it has been jetted first.

I also think the jetter does better on wash machine drains. removes built up detergent better, and vaporizes and flushes out lint.

A final use is for ice. I see many many frozen lines. I simply cannot cut ice with a cable. The jetter makes short work of it. Tuesday, for example, was the day of tubs; 8 frozen tubs in one day. Can't even do one with a cable. I've had many frozen sink lines and washer lines too. In situations where I must jet downstream to ice in a service and cannot spill water because I'll flood the house, I will sometimes use the little electric to pop the frozen first as it is only 2gpm and I can cut a drainage in with less hauling of full wet-vacs.
        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 01-21-2013, 12:15 AM.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

While I repect your opinion, I disagree that jetting a sink is easier. Perhaps it is regional. I can tell you first hand that in this area it's impractical and unnecessary. At the end of the day it's really about what works best for each individual tech.

Comment

I find it easy. I'm 30-40 minutes on most, from rolling up to rolling away. I'm not saying it can't be done with a cable, but it would take me longer to do as nice a job.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Honestly if your talking about a bathroom sink, it takes me about 10 minutes. A kitchen 20-30. They usually last a couple of years before they stop up again, some even longer. How much easier can it be than that?

Comment

For those interested I think this is the setup that Ace uses to jet small lines. I think he uses 3/16ths hose instead. But this one comes with the hose and nozzles and we all know it works because of the youtube video Ace made. Its also cheaper than the Crap Shooter PWMall-88.0247-Sewer Jetter / Cleaner 1350PSI, 1.9GPM, 115 Volts

Comment

Originally posted by NYC Drain Guy View Post
                  Honestly if your talking about a bathroom sink, it takes me about 10 minutes. A kitchen 20-30. They usually last a couple of years before they stop up again, some even longer. How much easier can it be than that?
                  10 minutes, from putting the van in park on arrival, to twisting the key and driving away? I'm not that fast. I don't think it's because I'm not using a cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten Plumbing View Post
                    For those interested I think this is the setup that Ace uses to jet small lines. I think he uses 3/16ths hose instead. But this one comes with the hose and nozzles and we all know it works because of the youtube video Ace made. Its also cheaper than the Crap Shooter PWMall-88.0247-Sewer Jetter / Cleaner 1350PSI, 1.9GPM, 115 Volts
                    Thats the unit I use but I don't know what hose and nozzle that package comes with. There are many options, many cheaper, for pw with those specs. Thats just the one I've always had and liked. I've been warming to the little brass sphere nozzle gorlitz sells lately. Had it for a while but didn't use it much. I've found it will do tub traps where many others won't. The hose I use is 3/16 exitflex dp 1.3, sold by harben as 'micro-mini' and by us jetting. I also use nozzles from mustang, arthur products, aquamole.

Comment

10 minutes of working on the line. Lets use a basin for example. The first thing I do is remove the stopper. I then check for hair and build up there and remove as necessary. I then check the condition of the waste bends and trap below. If they are in good shape I snake from the top. Once I release the stoppage I then run as much water as the drain will take while snaking. I feel the cable for any spots that need further cleaning and work them as necessary. The end result is a super clean pipe and a satisfied customer. Provided everything goes to plan, this above procedure takes 10-15 min. Of course it's not always that easy, but most of the time it is.
                      Last edited by NYC Drain Guy; 01-21-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Well, as you said earlier, to each his own. We both know what works for us. Odd that it is so very different.

Comment

I think I figured it out we have garbage disposal out here whereas New York typically doesn't therefore the difference between snaking and jetting is major.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            I think I figured it out we have garbage disposal out here whereas New York typically doesn't therefore the difference between snaking and jetting is major.

Rick.
                            That must be it

Comment

After reading Ace's posts for a couple of years I had decided to try it and he pm'd me some great advice plus I watched his vids. Then, last year, I unexpectedly inherited a.....pressure washer. The specs were embarrassing, but it was free. I purchased the 50' clog hog online. I've got to say, now I look forward to cleaning sink drains. I'll put it through 3 or 4 times because it's so freaking easy just to make sure it's clean. Granted, drain cleaning is a very small part of my business, but I was giving it away to friends who did a lot of that (I carried cables for years but got tired of the mess and the weight not to mention the inevitable problems that arise when cabling.)
                              So, I haven't run into a sink line yet that this little thing hasn't cleared and cleaned. I have about burned it up though so I am going to spring for something a little bigger and better. Of course, I don't have the pulse feature with these but it hasn't been an issue to date.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I know almost nothing about jetting except what I've read here. For lines 2" and smaller does a pressure washer with some modifications do essentially the same thing. And what modifications would those be? I noticed the local saw shop as a nice gas powered stihl unit fairly. Small but would something like that work for small jobs?

Comment

Working...
                                X