Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crap Shooter

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
    Nyc drain guy, its easy to disagree with someone but this isn't plumbing zone, we are all fellow tradesman some ticketed and some drain cleaners. At the end of the day, we are all here to learn and share our experiences. It's easy to get offended and throw insults out. I've seen it happen and experienced it but on this site it doesn't get you far. The best thing to do is apologize and admit someone got under your skin. " yes I have had to do this on occasion as well." But this is. GREAT bunch of guys and gals. We are all human and we all do things different, some are wrong some are ingenious and some are just different. I would suggest to try and be respectful. It will give you a much better experience on this forum, just advise feel free to disagree just pointing out what I've learned

What I've found on this forum is that a couple of members are arrogant braggarts. They think that they know best, but when their challenged by someone with an opposing view, they become defensive. I knew about these members prior to joining this forum, and I knew I'd probably get into it with them pretty quickly. I'm getting out of here. I'll leave you all to kiss that douche bag Plumber Ricks a*s.

Comment

Rick has helped alot of us with his advice. I see know reason to be upset with him. I hope the last thread is edited. Its a low blow.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC Drain Guy View Post
        What I've found on this forum is that a couple of members are arrogant braggarts. They think that they know best, but when their challenged by someone with an opposing view, they become defensive. I knew about these members prior to joining this forum, and I knew I'd probably get into it with them pretty quickly. I'm getting out of here. I'll leave you all to kiss that douche bag Plumber Ricks a*s.
        Not my fight, but at what point does common sense have to play a role in this debate? Let me explain...

I have no jetter nor do I have a sewer camera (yet on both). When I clean a drain, I learnt the old school way, because these items simply were not around when my father broke into the trade. So when I cable a line to open it up, I follow up with a pressure plunger to help wash away and debris that I left behind. Without having a sewer camera, I'm going to "assume" I got the majority of junk sticking to the sides of the pipe wall. I will agree with you that, yes the line is open, but seeing what a jetter can do now, Rick has a point that jetting that line will get the pipe much cleaner then the way I've been doing it for over 25 years.

Also, it was quite embarrassing for you to claim that Plumbers don't know drains like drain cleaning only guys do. The years required in school for Plumbing "design", and the years in the field learning things about Plumbing design you didn't learn in school is a whole different animal. I'm willing to bet most drain tech's have no idea what a "suds zone"is or how to "properly" back vent 3 separate bathrooms groups. Drain tech's have no idea what D.F.U.'s are or how to properly size drainage off of D.F.U.'s.

It's one thing to have an opposing view, it's another when you know down deep you're wrong, but you continue to look like an idiot by pounding your chest. I've disagreed with Rick a few times on this forum, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the phone and ask him a question on drain cleaning...cause he's more experienced than I am. Matter of fact, there are quite a few guys here I wouldn't hesitate to get hold of to ask questions on drain cleaning.

Lastly..

I had a choice to join this forum, or P.Z. , cause I was looking for a forum to discuss our trade. I chose this forum over P.Z. because of the silliness I saw over there from " some" so called Plumbing professionals. Plus, we allow free speech over here, and we keep it pretty clean without being threaten by blowhard Admin's.

Comment

Actually, you're the one who came on here with a chip on your shoulder like everyone I've ever met from New York. You all come out here bragging about how awesome your city is but you can't take the winter which we all have to listen to formthe rest of our lives. The world does not bow down to your city or the people who live there, so get over yourself. That is the definition of douchenozzle to me. (This is a jetting thread after all). If you have something to contribute, please do so, but you don't have you be a turd about it like you have been.

Comment

Hay NYC Drain Guy are you related to The Master ?

Comment

Let's try to keep it civil guys.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sorry mark
                I shouldn't have brought back those memories

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post
                  Actually, you're the one who came on here with a chip on your shoulder like everyone I've ever met from New York. You all come out here bragging about how awesome your city is but you can't take the winter which we all have to listen to formthe rest of our lives. The world does not bow down to your city or the people who live there, so get over yourself. That is the definition of douchenozzle to me. (This is a jetting thread after all). If you have something to contribute, please do so, but you don't have you be a turd about it like you have been.
                  Ouch! Thank you very much...

Comment

see ya

Comment

I had no idea this thread became a slugfest. If I might share my own story of how I immediately became a convert for jetting.. Started to work for a "Rooter" company with plumbing but little drain cleaning experience. Went to a customers house with plugged pvc kitchen line. She told me we were there 6 years earlier and did some kind of special water treatment that really cleaned the line, but was expensive. I told her she must have had her line jet cleaned "hydroscrubbed" (their own special name for it) and that yes, it was expensive. According to the price book, it was $600 to jet the line, but I could cable it for $250 and give a 1 return warranty. She went for the cable as times were tough. Typical kitchen grease, but I had it draining like a champ before I left. 2 weeks later, my dispatcher sends me back for a warranty and it's backed up again. Re-cabled it with 2 different cutters, flowing great. 2-3 weeks later, told to give this woman a call. Said the kitchen was backed up again and that she remembered going through this years ago. Didn't really want to spend the $$, but scheduled a jet cleaning. I had to split the $$ on this one; 1. to have a tech drive the jetter to my location(long story) 2. help me out as I had little experience jetting myself. Luckily, this kitchen had a vent stack on a shingle roof, not a studor vent like many kitchen lines here. As the other tech turned on the water, I could feel the hose pull down into the line. I could feel the resistance, and after it went a little further, I pulled it back up towards me. That 2" pvc line spewed chunks of food and solid grease all over the roof! Wow! I was sold. I ran that jetter until it was past the cleanout in the sewer. I could feel the difference from when I first went in to how easily it moved after cleaning it. The other tech was just watching the open cleanout for all the junk that the jetter blasted away. The line likely had a bad belly that was full of grease. The jetter cleaned it like new. There are before and after videos all over the web about jet cleaning. Not about to get rid of my cables, but I'd rather jet than cable any day of the week..
                      Last edited by richinflorida; 01-28-2013, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Saturday I get a call to camera some drains. I work Tues-Sat, I'm happy to go. Clients water district sent a good mailer on drain care and recommended inspection. We're both stoked to see a great looking sewer. Then he mentions a plugged area drain running to the curb. I spot a large tree between the curb and the first riser dumping into it. I mention many times these drains are not installed to code or even glued together allowing serious root intrusion.

I try to camera from the street but there's too much dirt. I grab a garden hose and start up the conversation on hydro jetting. The garden hose with a fire nozzle dislodges a bunch of clay and even two loose root balls. Then I ask him to imagine what 6 spinning nozzles at 4000 PSI will do. He's stoked that we won't have to dig up the yard, and didn't know the technology even existed. I cleared enough clay to show him all the roots in the line. I jet tomorrow.

Drains are less than 20% of our business, so we sub this out to our reliner company who show up in unlettered trucks to do the job. A sitting jetter isn't reliable in my opinion.
                        Last edited by JK949; 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Classic...

Comment

Working...
                          X