X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid K-45 or General Handyletric CHE

I need a small drum or larger handheld power tool, something I can take on roofs for vent pipes. Something that can get me at least 35'

I've been looking at the Ridgid K-45 and General Handyletric Model CHE-A. It seems all the Ridges have fixed bulb heads with them and the General has a coupler. I think a coupler end is a better option, but I can get a Ridged at a better price.

Any other options you can think of, or recommendations I would greatly appreciate.

John

Re: Ridgid K-45 or General Handyletric CHE

The k45 is a great hand drill, but over 35' gets heavy. For roof vents with 3/8" x35' might come up short. As you don't get the entire length to run. Maybe 30' then break out a drill chuck for the last 5.

I normally run a k60 or k50 from roof vents. The 5/8" cable can't be beat. And the 7/8" is a root killer.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, if I remember right the K-50 is the one that takes the smaller 5/8" cable...does it go to 7/8"? It's still a bit spendy for me right now. I'm wondering if I can do that sectional cable on a drill for the 5/6" and 7/8" I've been reading about on the forum?

John

Comment

Handylectric all the way. I've used both machines, and the k-45 can't get it done in these parts. Actually any "handgun" without a Jacobs type chuck just doesn't do the job here. We have a lot of scaled up gal lines, tight brass and gal tub traps, and old cast iron lines. We also have very little PVC. The chuck on the k-45 doesn't hold the cable tight enough when encountering tight turns and tough rust scale blockages. Neither does the slide chuck on the super vee. I'm using a late model handy lectric now, and its the best and most reliable "handgun" I've ever used. I'd highly recommend it.

Comment

The c-he has a collet chuck a more comparable unit is a sv that operates like a k-45. The collet chuck does not hold very well and they freeze up often the jacobs chuck is available and it holds much better. The new jackobs chucks are plastic and are not as good as the old steel ones. The steel chucks have not been made for over 25 years, but the is one place that still has hundreds left marvin

Comment

Originally posted by rod man View Post
            The c-he has a collet chuck a more comparable unit is a sv that operates like a k-45. The collet chuck does not hold very well and they freeze up often the jacobs chuck is available and it holds much better. The new jackobs chucks are plastic and are not as good as the old steel ones. The steel chucks have not been made for over 25 years, but the is one place that still has hundreds left marvin

Where might this be ???

Allan J. Coleman - Selling Ridgid Inspection, Drain Cleaning and Power Tools, Obrien Jetters and StoneAge Sewer nozzles. ?

Comment

Originally posted by schulte View Post
              I need a small drum or larger handheld power tool, something I can take on roofs for vent pipes. Something that can get me at least 35'

I've been looking at the Ridgid K-45 and General Handyletric Model CHE-A. It seems all the Ridges have fixed bulb heads with them and the General has a coupler. I think a coupler end is a better option, but I can get a Ridged at a better price.

Any other options you can think of, or recommendations I would greatly appreciate.

John

What are you doing up on roofs in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by rod man View Post
                I have the new style chuck on my handy lectric. It's like a hybrid of a Jacobs chuck and slide chuck. So far no problems at all. It holds really tight and maintenance is a cinch. I've been using it for almost a year now, but I guess I'll have to wait to see how it handles the test of time. I should add that I'm real picky when it comes to chucks so if I'm impressed, that says a lot. Take that for what its worth anyway.......

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                  What are you doing up on roofs in Minnesota
                  Praying I don't slide off. :-) Actually I don't go up in winter...too old. But come spring I'll be up there. Amazing how many leaves get in there around here.

John

PS. Thanks for all your posts. Evreryone!

Comment

Originally posted by NYC Drain Guy View Post
                    I have the new style chuck on my handy lectric. It's like a hybrid of a Jacobs chuck and slide chuck. So far no problems at all. It holds really tight and maintenance is a cinch. I've been using it for almost a year now, but I guess I'll have to wait to see how it handles the test of time. I should add that I'm real picky when it comes to chucks so if I'm impressed, that says a lot. Take that for what its worth anyway.......
                    Is this the chuck you mean: Amazon.com: General Super Vee C-HE-F C-Handylectric Pipe & sewer drain snake cleaner rooter auger: Home Improvement

I also read that this machine can not use the quick cable swapping plastic cartridges. How do you feel about losing that feature? Also, how is it without a autofeed?
                    Last edited by schulte; 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I would like to see Rigdid somehow put a chuck on the K-45AF while keeping the industry leading two way feed.

There have been several times when I wished I had a chuck but not enough for me to buy a gun without a feed.

Comment

Originally posted by schulte View Post
                        Is this the chuck you mean: Amazon.com: General Super Vee C-HE-F C-Handylectric Pipe & sewer drain snake cleaner rooter auger: Home Improvement

I also read that this machine can not use the quick cable swapping plastic cartridges. How do you feel about losing that feature? Also, how is it without a autofeed?
                        That looks like the one but I can't say for sure without seeing the chuck internally. It works with the plastic cartridge because I have one in mine. I don't use it for the quick change feature, I use it because it reduces splashing. Also I would never use an auto feed on a machine like that, IMO there's no place for it. But to each their own I suppose.

By the way, I remove that grip on the outside of the chuck
                        Last edited by NYC Drain Guy; 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I would like to see Rigdid somehow put a chuck on the K-45AF while keeping the industry leading two way feed.

There have been several times when I wished I had a chuck but not enough for me to buy a gun without a feed.

That would be interesting.

Comment

That looks like the one but I can't say for sure without seeing the chuck internally. It works with the plastic cartridge because I have one in mine. I don't use it for the quick change feature, I use it because it reduces splashing. Also I would never use an auto feed on a machine like that, IMO there's no place for it. But to each their own I suppose.

By the way, I remove that grip on the outside of the chuck

C'mon man, why you gotta be like that...........................

Comment

C'mon man, why you gotta be like that...........................
                              I'm sorry. No offense intended

Comment

Working...
                              X