X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wears out on Ridgid K-50's?

I've been shopping some used K-50's on ebay. Curious to know worst down side to buying used machine.

What can't I see that might cost me.

Thanks.

John

Re: What wears out on Ridgid K-50's?

Most ebay purchases are covered by paypal now. So if they list it as good and working you're covered.

A seized motor or pinion gear from getting wet. And a clutch. Pretty much bullett proof.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rebuilding one is easy. Check the casting where the legs screw into the body....only thing that can't be replaced.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The GFCI and the clutch.
        Make sure that the GFCI works and just wasn't replaced with part of an extension cord.
        You can get clutches on ebay.

If it hasn't been abused, you should be good to go.

Comment

I saw that one for $250. Unless you had everything else you needed I be sore tempted to give the Chinese copy a try. The real thing is probably made there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post
            I saw that one for $250. Unless you had everything else you needed I be sore tempted to give the Chinese copy a try. The real thing is probably made there anyway.
            I'm in discussion with one of the Chinese manufacturers now, the one that says everything from a Ridgid will work in it, and visa versa. My concern is their cables and steel. China is not known for making good steel...across the board. I'm new to drain cleaning, but not tools.

If I can't make a deal on a Ridgid soon, I'll buy one and test it and report back here after I use it. The one option I don't like is their axillary small cable drum. It is limited to 25' of 5/16"

John

Comment

Originally posted by schulte View Post
              I'm in discussion with one of the Chinese manufacturers now, the one that says everything from a Ridgid will work in it, and visa versa. My concern is their cables and steel. China is not known for making good steel...across the board. I'm new to drain cleaning, but not tools.

If I can't make a deal on a Ridgid soon, I'll buy one and test it and report back here after I use it. The one option I don't like is their axillary small cable drum. It is limited to 25' of 5/16"

John
              I've been tempted myself. I can't find a deal in California or ebay for a k50 at a decent price. But I don't wanna kick myself for flushing $500 bucks down the tube.

Comment

A guy on the other forum bought the suitcase style k-60 clone. He wasn't to impressed at first but he was able to tweak it to be usuable enough for bad conditions.

These other models might be good starter machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten Plumbing View Post
                  I've been tempted myself. I can't find a deal in California or ebay for a k50 at a decent price. But I don't wanna kick myself for flushing $500 bucks down the tube.
                  You can't find any drain machines for a decent price. I have a friend looking right now. Clowns want to sell used equipment within a few hundred dollars of new. What's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post
                    You can't find any drain machines for a decent price. I have a friend looking right now. Clowns want to sell used equipment within a few hundred dollars of new. What's the point?
                    Tell me about it. A guy is selling a spartan 300 on craigslist here for 2300. its crazy. Ive only seen one k50 for sale near me on craigslist and I think it was the one that guy tried to trade rick a couple years back lol. Ive seen several on the east coast and texas for a couple hundred but none of the guys have been willing to ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten Plumbing View Post
                      Tell me about it. A guy is selling a spartan 300 on craigslist here for 2300. its crazy. Ive only seen one k50 for sale near me on craigslist and I think it was the one that guy tried to trade rick a couple years back lol. Ive seen several on the east coast and texas for a couple hundred but none of the guys have been willing to ship.
                      I don't need another K50 but at this price, why not? It's brand new

Ridgid k-50 - $500 (Odenton)

Comment

my brother gave me a used k-50 but no cable,,,so i bought a chinese knock-off cable kit from Toolz Unlimited for $249 ,plus shipping and tax,has 66 ft. of 5/8 cable,several augers , cable carrier and cable guide, so far so good cable is just like ridgids,,,,,,so for 500 bucks i dont think you can go wrong,,,,,,,any body else tried Toolz unlimited????

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          I don't need another K50 but at this price, why not? It's brand new

Ridgid k-50 - $500 (Odenton)
                          See what I mean why cant I find a deal like that here.

Comment

Originally posted by cheesehead plumber View Post
                            my brother gave me a used k-50 but no cable,,,so i bought a chinese knock-off cable kit from Toolz Unlimited for $249 ,plus shipping and tax,has 66 ft. of 5/8 cable,several augers , cable carrier and cable guide, so far so good cable is just like ridgids,,,,,,so for 500 bucks i dont think you can go wrong,,,,,,,any body else tried Toolz unlimited????
                            How long have you been using the cables and how often?

Comment

i have been using the sdt 59365 cable kit for about 4 months now,average once a week or so. ......kind of want to kink one so i can make it into a RICKS REVERSE auger but no luck yet. ...... i was worried that they would be substandard, i have used the ridgid brand in the past and i dont notice any difference,,,,,,any body else tried the Knock -off brand sdt-from toolz unlimitid?

Comment

Working...
                              X