Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone use MyTana equipment?

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
    Did you contact MyTana about parts? Just curious about the availability of parts from MyTana, not for my own use, but just for board posterity.
    I did not check into it. I'm wanted to shake the reputation of being the tool fixer guy at this job. Maybe a small engine shop could get it running.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
      I don't know if I'd lose respect for them for reselling at a higher price. If you buy a two liter soft drink from the convenience store, it's more expensive than what'd you'd spend at a grocery store.
      different situation. to use your analogy this was like walking into a store and seeing a coke for $1.39, and another coke with a pepsi sticker on it for $2.99. Which are you going to buy, and how do you feel about buying any other things labled pepsi?
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        I lost all respect for them one day when looking at a picture of their nozzle assortment; obviously rebranded aquamole at 2-3 times the price. Tried some 1/4" cables from them. Seemed very, very stiff but worked nice. Very easy to ruin; intolerant of any wups, too much torque moments.
        Just so you know, US Jetting does the same thing with Stone Age nozzles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          different situation. to use your analogy this was like walking into a store and seeing a coke for $1.39, and another coke with a pepsi sticker on it for $2.99. Which are you going to buy, and how do you feel about buying any other things labled pepsi?
          Let's not get lost in analogies. I don't paint with such a broad brush when it comes to brands and pricing. Each decision is made on it's own merits. I'm not going to blacklist a manufacturer unless they don't fulfill their offers. Product pricing is subjective.

I don't care if a company sells a product for a different/higher price. In this case, My-Tana isn't saying you've got to buy their nozzles because they're the only ones who make it. They just offer a product for a price. Fergusons sells Ridgid for hundreds more than The Cable Center does, but I haven't lost respect for Fergusons because of this. Wolselys is an international company and surely has more buying power than the Cable Center, but I'm not boycotting them for a percentage difference on a particular product.

After typing the above, I wondered just how much the difference was between Aqua Mole and My-Tana in an apples to apples comparison and here's what I found.

They both look like they are selling the exact same nozzles. Each one has their own label on their box.

I looked at the packages offered by MyTana in their current sales catalog and Aqua Mole's current online packages.

On first glance, it appears that My-Tana charges more for a nozzle kit, but the devil is in the details.

The MyTana kit has seven nozzles in their package compared to Aquamoles four nozzles in their "Sewer Squad Deluxe" package. I did not see a seven nozzle package from Aqua Mole.

Here's the price comparison for the advertised 3/8" kits.

Aqua Mole gives you Four nozzles for $259.00.

$259.00 / 4 = $64.75 per nozzle.

My-Tana gives you Seven nozzles for $355.00

$355.00 / 7 = $50.71 per nozzle.

Based on this new average nozzle price, it would appear that Aqua Mole would charge you $452.25 for the equivalent 7 nozzle package.

When comparing individual prices for the 3/8" Rotary Jet Nozzle:

Aqua Mole $173.00

My-Tana $150.00

Looks like My-Tana is the one with the better deal for nozzles, if you ask me.

Does this mean you're going to lose respect for Aqua Mole now?

But to keep this on track with the OP's question.

I have actually used a ton of My-Tana equipment. My-Tana jetters, electronic leak location equipment, self leveling color camera with locator, and every cable machine they have made with the exception of the M-888 and the M-500 that have only come out in the past few years. The camera was over ten years ago, right after they bought Micro Engineering's product to sell as My-Tana. It was a pretty good camera overall, it had a couple of problems that My-Tana fixed under warranty. The head came off and the seal on the lens leaked. Not big problems. I am sure other improvements have been made since then.

The everyday "on the truck" machines that I used were the M-81 and the M-661. Very simple to operate and own. They last a long time with no great expensive repairs. The first M-81 I ever used was almost twenty years old and it never missed a beat. I've run 400' of cable with an M-81.

The M-81 turns a few clicks slower than their Gorlitz and Duracable competitors, if that matters at all to you.Overall, I think their drain stuff has been very well made.

Comment

Working...
          X