X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Speedway Machines?

I see a lot of brands of machines mentioned here on the forum, but never Speedway machines. What's up, does anyone use them, and if not, why not?

Thanks.

J

Re: What's up with Speedway Machines?

Why ? Because they are handy man quality.

Comment

Originally posted by schulte View Post
      I see a lot of brands of machines mentioned here on the forum, but never Speedway machines. What's up, does anyone use them, and if not, why not?

Thanks.

J
      You won't see many Speedway/Cobra machines out there used by professionals. Some of their stuff looks like Ridgid knock-offs but don't know about what cable and components they use.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Just bought a used speedway 6500 sewer machine for 500 dols in great shape, 6 months ago. It came with 3/4 hp an 100 feet of 3/4 cable. I tried it on a couple heavy root jobs and it worked great on opening the line no problen. The feed works great . All in all the is a soild machine, the only thing i would change on this machine is the cable with general innercore 3/4. And i own a ridgid k 7500, speed rooter 91. Spartan 1065 and gorlitz sled......

Comment

I read that they were owned by the parent company that owns Delta Faucet and several other construction related companies. They look like a cross between of Ridgid and General. . I've seen their camera and it looks like Ra-Tech. The first time I saw them, they were branded as BrassCraft.

Their former cobra machines were very much a copy of Gorltiz with a few styling differences. I have some of their brochures/sales stuff from back in the late 80's somewhere.

I've never used any of their drain machine products, but I can't imagine them being too shoddy since they're owned by such a big conglomerate that puts out so many other good products. Really, the worst thing that they could do is put a cheap cable in the reels. The "belt around the drum" is kinda hard to mess up. Cobra sells some D-I-Y quality stuff at Lowes like Ridgid sells some D-I-Y quality stuff at HD.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            Why ? Because they are handy man quality.
            Which one did you use, was the cable any good?

Comment

I used the 6500 with 3/4 cable which was abused from novice operator. I just like generals cables the best and strongest out there.i still think you get a great sewer machine for the price at 1,400 brand new, solid machine.............

Comment

Company I used to work for had 2 of the 600hd's. I flipped the cable inside the drum during retrieval a dozen times in just a few months, same with our other operator, i switched to a k7500 and our other guy switched to a general speed rooter. Never had the problem again.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Was that the construction of the drum or the quality of the cable? What's the 600hd like? Were you putting the rotation of the cable in reverse when you retrieved it? I've seen guys do that with speedrooters and flip the cable in the drum.

Comment

No, reverse was only for getting unstuck, i used the feed to retrieve.
                    I think the cable quality was ok, my opinion of he problem is that the guide tube inside the drum was too short. The machine itself was ok, but a lot of the quick pins got changed out for nuts and bolts really quickly

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
                    Was that the construction of the drum or the quality of the cable? What's the 600hd like? Were you putting the rotation of the cable in reverse when you retrieved it? I've seen guys do that with speedrooters and flip the cable in the drum.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

sears has the 6500 speedway on their website for $1709. they also sell steel dragon tools that are compatable with ridgid k-50 for $249.

Comment

Compatable but not comparable

They are reverse engineered ridgid tools

Originally posted by cheesehead plumber View Post
                        sears has the 6500 speedway on their website for $1709. they also sell steel dragon tools that are compatable with ridgid k-50 for $249.

Comment

Working...
                        X