Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever heard of the K-60? Just kidding...

Hey guys

So first, a little background. For years I've been a drum machine type of guy, being that we don't have a huge root problem in my city, and to be honest, I didn't know sectional machines existed. No one that I know in town has one. But after lurking on this forum for quite some time I came to realize this may be a much better solution for my business. One day my friend purchased a used K-60 from a pawn shop, not really knowing what he had. I immediately bought it off of him for the low low price of four Backflow tests over the next 2 years. Anyways, I now have a K-60 with no accessories or cables. Im going to be getting a 7/8 cable of some sort. i dont really think ill need an open wind because most of the blockages i clean are soft. I've tried and tried to find the answers to these questions by searching, but the search function is terrible.

-mess? Is this machine messier than a drum style? How do you guys keep the spray from going everywhere and how do you transport the cable into the house? Are you using the cable carrier from ridgid?

-accessories? I'm well familiar with the cutters, but how about this rear guide hose? 12' or 16'? Or do I even need this?

-self feed? I'm not in love with this anyway, but its really all I've used. How labour intensive is it to get the cable to come a back at around 100'?

Thanks gents

Re: Has anyone ever heard of the K-60? Just kidding...

Yes the search function sucks now. But there is a section just dedicated to the k60 and should have all the answers there.

As far as being messier, its not. The cable being an open wind doesn't retain water. The only time it can get messy is in a grease stoppage or outside area drains with mud and you don't clear the stoppage. Once it's cleared, the water you run down and the high speed spinning of the cable with open wind will clean and pretty much dry off the cable.

I carry my cables in the ridgid open carrier and they stay clean and dry.

I rarely use my guide hose. But indoors ill use it or a section of 1.5" hose or abs pipe. Also outside around ivy that you don't want torn out.

I run the first section of innercore cable in 4-6" lines.

Read the threads and photos. You'll be impressed.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

What he said ^^.

Comment

There is a huge fan club here on this forum and those that talk bad about it are frowned upon but if you do your homework on the top drain cleaning forums you will find the truth.

It's a major transition from a good drum machine. Although it does serve a purpose most prefer not to use it as their #1 drain cleaning machine especially on long or tougher blockages.

It also seems to be somewhat of a regional machine mostly favored on the west coast and southern area's.
        Last edited by AssTyme; 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

My first 25 years of drain cleaning the 'go to' machine was a Ridgid K-50, easy, versatile and compact. Anything larger that was needed I used a drum machine that required 2 men to lift on and off the truck. Up and down narrow stairs here was no treat either. Then we started using the Ridgid K-1500 for main stoppages on a regular basis. Seemed overkill for most stoppages we get. Can be a one man operation but two is easier with setup and take down. No room on the truck for this machine and multiple baskets of cable so a trip back to the shop was required. With time and travel to pick up and drop off the 1500, profits weren't that high.

I keep the K-60 on my truck now. Sold the K-50 and the K-1500 quietly waits in the tool trailer for the big jobs which are few and far between. Once you know the limitations of the K-60 you'll stay out of trouble and still provide an excellent service to the customer. There's nothing better than wheeling a drum machine up to a properly placed cleanout and letting her fly but real world scenarios like that rarely happen here. For fit and function the K-60 works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

You will like the K-60 I am a new convert also. I have had aold suit case k-60 for a few years now and finally bought a new style and loveit. I still use my drum machines as well.

But the k-60 seems to be faster and less weight.

I have run 210’ roots stoppages without any problems. I likethe fact the open wound cable seems to grab all the left over’s and white mice
            Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
            1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
              You will like the K-60 I am a new convert also. I have had aold suit case k-60 for a few years now and finally bought a new style and loveit. I still use my drum machines as well.

I have run 210’ roots stoppages without any problems. I like the fact the open wound cable seems to grab all the left over’s and white mice

OMG I guess you did jump the fence, LMAO !!!

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post

I have run 210’ roots stoppages without any problems. I likethe fact the open wound cable seems to grab all the left over’s and white mice

That's another thing I don't like about sectional machines is spending my time picking all of the crap out of the cable windings. With a drum machine most will easily pull off the rest will wash on out to the city after running water.

Comment

The truth is, It's a sectional, you'll find things about sectionals that you like and things you don't like.

There is a fan club for it, with good reason. Some folks are biased against it, even though they've never used one. I don't know why. It's just a tool with benefits and limitations.

Some people just lack the aptitude to use one correctly.

Comment

Peaceful so far.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                      Peaceful so far.

That's enough instigator

Comment

Okay! I just picked up my c-10 cable and accessory kit. Now prepare yourself for what is to be a series of stupid questions

Number 1: how do you get the cable into the machine? I have no head on it and am trying to feed it in through the back, but it seems a little too large. I don't want to force it through, any ideas? Yes I have the handle pulled up

Thanks

Kellen

Comment

Wow and I already have another one

Number 2: do you leave all the sections coupled together to form a long cable? Or are you coupling the sections back to themselves each time?

Much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Kellen View Post
                            Okay! I just picked up my c-10 cable and accessory kit. Now prepare yourself for what is to be a series of stupid questions

Number 1: how do you get the cable into the machine? I have no head on it and am trying to feed it in through the back, but it seems a little too large. I don't want to force it through, any ideas? Yes I have the handle pulled up

Thanks

Kellen
                            You need to adjust the jaws. Try to download the manuals off of the web. It will answer some of your minor issues.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Kellen View Post
                              Wow and I already have another one

Number 2: do you leave all the sections coupled together to form a long cable? Or are you coupling the sections back to themselves each time?

Much appreciated
                              I go one at a time.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X