Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Once again, best toilet auger please

Originally posted by Josh View Post
    Aw man.. come on. So have any of you used the redesign of our toilet augers? Better cable, new one piece molded handle, improved ergonomics, etc.

Curious to hear if you still think General wins out over the redesign... Anyone tried it yet and compared it?
    I use a General Drop head. I just saw the new ones at Ferguson in the last couple weeks. They look good. I don't go through augers quickly, but I could give one a go when the time comes.

Comment

My General toilet auger(bulb head) was bought in 1995-6 and still in service today and in my truck. It could probably use a nice WD-40 cleaning, but it's still going strong!!

My proudest moment with that auger was...I pulled 1 Q-tip out of a toilet that was causing havoc and not flushing paper. it took me about 10 passes, but I finally got the little f*cker.

Maybe next time I'll try a drop head from General.

Comment

i have a couple of generals still new. my in truck bulb auger sees more action in 2'' shower drains thans toilets. my drop head never worked on the low flow toilets.

but honestly my plunger does 95% of all plugged toilets.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Redesign was less than a year ago. We do sell a drop head.

Comment

Last week My Ridgid cockscrewed back into itself ?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Redesign was less than a year ago. We do sell a drop head.
              That explains it, most of the time augers go years without replacement. My Ridgid auger is three or four years old.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am still using my 8 year old Ridgid K-6 bulb head auger. The first thing I did though was take a hammer and chisel and cut off the first couple coils off the bulb head to expose more of a hook. Other than that I do not have any complaints. It has always worked for me.

My dad used to have a 30+ year old 6' Marco auger, a General auger, and a Chicago Specialty The Chicago Specialty was his go to auger since it had the best hook design to retrieve objects.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Aw man.. come on. So have any of you used the redesign of our toilet augers? Better cable, new one piece molded handle, improved ergonomics, etc.

Curious to hear if you still think General wins out over the redesign... Anyone tried it yet and compared it?
                  Can you bring some to the flow expo? The ridgid toilet augers were bad for so long that many of us just glazed over them and went straight to general. Expo would be a great place to breathe some new life into the augers.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'll see if Max has one that he can bring along. Otherwise I'll order one and send it out so you can see it.

Moral of the story is it takes years for the word to get out when something has changed. It is a much improved design in my opinion.

Best improvements I feel are

- Upgraded cable to new 1/2" compression wrapped inner core
                    - Larger one piece handle... way more ergonomic.
                    Last edited by Josh; 02-13-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I'll see if Max has one that he can bring along. Otherwise I'll order one and send it out so you can see it.

Moral of the story is it takes years for the word to get out when something has changed. It is a much improved design in my opinion.

Best improvements I feel are

- Upgraded cable to new 1/2" compression wrapped inner core
                      - Larger one piece handle... way more ergonomic.
                      Do you think Marv at AJ Coleman has these yet? If not can you send him one with my name on it? I prefer a K-6 bulb head myself. I know a while back I posted a pick of Marv having a barrel full of the old K-3's and selling them dirt cheap too.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

My local suppler only kept ridgid they weren't to bad , I would go through them, at least one a year
                        I had the end srew off a new ridgid drop head in a screwed up washer drain
                        I went out to my van to see what ridgid model i have now , i guess they changed to general
                        I use on washer traps, kit sink arms, toilets

Comment

I've never broken one but have to buy an auger about every 4 or 5 years. I seem to keep leaving them at customers houses. They never call back and say "hey come pick this up"

I do remember the Ridgid had a cable that was too loosy goosy for me.

Comment

Ordered General T6FL- DH Amazon free shipping to My door with tax $64.79 Thanks once more for Your Wisdom. Tool
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

AJ Coleman should have them. Just ask Shane.

Bill, I agree on the old ones. Upgrading the cable was a key improvement in the new models.

Comment

Ridgid was good to me last year and sent me a new Ridgid drop head auger over a year and I gave Ridgid feed back. The General is still the better auger The General has a better drop head hook also handle and spinning action is not clunky like the Ridgid the Clunky feeling takes away some of the feeling when I'm trying to feel the trap for objects. The General drop head hook grabs objects better also.
                                Rod
                                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                                http://unclognh.com
                                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                                X