X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartan 300 or Ridgid K-60

Decisions: Shopping for a main line machine.

Spartan 300 with .55 cable or Ridgid K-60
    Both light weight and both will handle Most jobs (roots).
    ( According to the rep from Spartan the 300 with .55 cable will do it all.)

How do you determain what is doable and not doable with the 300 and the 60?

Feedback from local drain cleaners are both are underpowered for the area.
    Here the K-7500 is very popular but it's a beast for stairs and all the jobs here
    involve basements.

According to the local Spartan rep. only about 30% of the 300's in the area run
    .55 cable, the rest run bigger but adds weight.

A new Spartan 300 with tool box costs just under $3,000.00 with tax.
    I'm also leery of a sectional here as the basements are cramped.

Thank you for your answers

Re: Spartan 300 or Ridgid K-60

Here in Wisconsin the 300 with .55 magnum will do 90% of 4" mains up to 100' with ease, around an hour or so for a thorough rodding. Tough 4" blockages, anything over 100' or in 6" mains is time consuming & risky. It also wont get the 6" lines fully clean.

The largest diameter cable you can run in a 300 is 5/8" which the .55 will outperform.

What you are hearing is correct, the two machines you're looking at are underpowered to do 100% of mains in your area.

I don't like sectionals but do run the Eel 1.25" cable on the tough lines as it's self feeding in & out and is a root killer

I would love to run a drum for everything but the larger drum machines are just too damn heavy

Comment

As loyal as I am to Ridgid it's hard to beat a General Speedrooter 91/92. About to add another machine to one of my vans, I will look at Ridgid but will probably buy another Speedrooter.

David

Comment

Fixit....are you by yourself or will you have a helper with you?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I will be working alone so weight is factoring into this.

After hearing *** Time and others talking about the Spartan 300 I am leaning that way.

The question I had was when/how one determines the 300 or K-60 is over matched.
          Is it once you have been at it for a while or what the customer tells you of the history of
          the main line?

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post

After hearing *** Time and others talking about the Spartan 300 I am leaning that way.

Is it once you have been at it for a while or what the customer tells you of the history of
            the main line?

In general with experience you'll know not to bring a knife to a gun fight but every now & then you'll end up wheeling the 300 back to the van and pull out the big gun.

Comment

the main line?
              Don't know till you try it. Gone years and have never been stuck with my k60. Got stuck in the city main not to long ago and needed my jetter to get me out. If the house is on a hill, not much water usage(older customers), needs to be rodded every 6 months...expect it to be real bad. Move a drum machine down a set of stairs is asking for pulled back. As a solo guy can you afford that? With the sectional, it can be broken down and fit into the tightest spot. What I would suggest is to first get a K60, then as time goes by, get a jetter for those real bad jobs.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Consider getting a regular full sized sewer machine and take the reel off and go in with two loads. One load with the machine, sans reel , and one load with the reel on an hand truck.

You could always go with the K-1500 A. Lighter weight distribution than a drum, powerful, but more trips, not many blockages will say no to a K1500, but it's still a sectional.

One of the guys on another forum uses the Gorlitz GO62 with 11/16" cable on two 75' reels.

3/4" cable on a drum machine averages about one lb per foot.

Here's the big question, what are you currently using?

Comment

For mains I usually rented a machine or farmed it out.
                  Rentals are problematic as you never know what's in that reel.

Poor customer service and lack of communication are just some
                  of the problems of farming out work, it makes me look bad.

Besides the money I'm not making this is something I enjoy.

I'm sure they're around but I have yet to see a Sectional in these parts.

Comment

For mains I usually rented a machine or farmed it out.
                    Rentals are problematic as you never know what's in that reel.

Poor customer service and lack of communication are just some
                    of the problems of farming out work, it makes me look bad.

Besides the money I'm not making this is something I enjoy.

I'm sure they're around but I have yet to see a Sectional in these parts.

If you only want to deal with one machine go with a large drum such as the k-7500 or the K-1500 sectional they are very powerful and should treat you well. Both will be overkill for most jobs.

I run the Spartan 300 and Eel 1.25" sectional.
                    Last edited by AssTyme; 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I have a general 91 and a 1500. I keep the 1500 on the truck all the time. Haven't met one that did not open up. Sure it is more trips but I know it will clear most everything with it.

Comment

I have both on my van, i also work solo. I always reach for my k-60 over my spartan 300 . Much easier on my back and i could clean the line just as fast as the 300. I also got lines flowing with the k-60. When i could not with the spartan 300...

Comment

I will not debate one over the other but I have yet to clean it as fast as a drum from start to finish....yet.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • conductor fault locating
                          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

You know where I stand.

My 3 -k7500, 5-k750, 3-k1500, 1065, 300, general 88 and others, have all been sitting In the shop for the last 5 plus years. My truck carries a k39, k50, k60 and a timberwolf with 1.25" cables. There has not been 1 sewer that's stopped me with that combo. Yes my jetters get used too, but they are not in my truck and are used more for preventative , non emergency jobs.

The k60 has not let me down and has sold itself to every contractor, plumber I know. With the right cutters, and right technique, the k60 is the most universal do all machine that ridgid has to offer. Its also the top selling sewer machine in thier line up.

My numbers and pictures don't lie. The k60 is the reason why I scaled my truck down from a walk in tilt cab to the sprinter. I don't need a lift or all the space to carry my drain machines.

I need the space in my shop to store all my drum machines now.

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I'd go with a Electric Eel Model C and Drill or a K1500. If you had to pick between the K60 or Spartan 300, get the Spartan.
                              Will Rogers Plumbing
                              Moore, Oklahoma
                              (
                              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Working...
                              X