Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flat Tapes

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
    Thinking of becoming more proficient with flat tapes in times of disaster,and if servicing someone who is off grid and a jetter is not useable.

Doomsday prepper............ JK

Comment

Woops.................

Comment

If this happens often why not carry 5 gallons of gas around and get a main line machine that runs on gas? I know Eel makes one.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
          If this happens often why not carry 5 gallons of gas around and get a main line machine that runs on gas? I know Eel makes one.

Electric Eel Model 325 - Electric Eel Manufacturing - Premier manufacturer of drainline, sewerline, & pipeline inspection systems, cable cleaning, high-pressure water jet cleaning, maintenance systems, nozzles, and cleaning tools.

Comment

It seems as if you has had to wrestle a few free from roof vents or cleanouts.
            Every time I use it I fully expect to get it jammed up. I wouldn't be using it unless the situation is dire.

It's basically a battering ram and can break a fitting with little effort.

Comment

It seems as if you has had to wrestle a few free from roof vents or cleanouts.
              I like coming across the cut tapes in the vents. So far I have yet to wrap up in one left in a drain.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Ever have that ball come out of the line and catch you right in the forehead?
                26+6=1

Comment

I stopped using one of those, back when I got my first electric power snake and have never needed one since with all makes and models of sewer equipment that I have used over 35 years I would never want to use one again !
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
                    Ever have that ball come out of the line and catch you right in the forehead?
                    ouch! How would that happen?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      ouch! How would that happen?
                      yank, spring back, boing ng ! Wtf
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Nope never used one never will!
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Flat rods can make for a quick unstop job. I used to have a one inch wide rod that held a lot of torque. Unrolling it was a two handed job or you might get a concussion.

Speaking of gas powered sewer machines, MyTana used to sell an gas powered machine called the M-98.

Comment

I have a job I camered today at a college on 4" pvc electrical conduits that has dirt in it preventing a rope to be pulled through. I'm going back there tomorrow with my 3/8" fiberglass push rod to see if I can poke a hole through it. Have 4" wire brush and pulling pistons. . If not then my 1.25" timberwolf and spade. If all else fails, my jetter.

2 of the 8 lines are like this. They both are in the elevator pit. 38' from the phone room and 88' from the outside vault. Plenty of extra condiuts, but they require spares.

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

My father knew of a guy that only had flat tapes. He had little ones for tubs and sinks all the way to the big ones for main sewers. My dad always said if old man Bagley can not get a sewer open with the hand rod, plan on being there for a while with a power rodder. My father and I still keep one on a truck, you can make turns without busting out the fittings. It takes lots of practice to learn the difference between a blockage and a fitting. It also take practice to muscle the tape through an offset 90' out.

I use line where getting my truck with its inverter, or running a power cord is not an option. Before I had a jetter we also used it on sludge blockages.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I have come across a lot of elbows that have been broken with flat tapes. I use a Marco or general round push rod they call them field tile cleaners and come with every type of head the electric machines do with a spring between the cutter and rod so they bend when making elbows, they also have an cordless drill attachment and hand turning attachment. I also have a few hand crank drum machine for the Amish. I just come back from a job where I used a gear driven hand crank Miller drum machine. The bigger ones need to be gear driven for more power but there hard to find I got mine at farm auctions.

Comment

Working...
                                X