X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposite wound, left hand wound cables

Are there any threads about Opposite wound, right hand wound, and left hand wound cables? I tried searching the forums but found nothing.

I want to know when and why to use them, how to tell them apart from others.

Any links would be appreciated, or posts of course.

Thank you.

J
    Last edited by schulte; 02-18-2013, 12:34 AM.

Re: Opposite wound, left hand wound cables

Use google to look up the ridgid forum. Type ridgid forum (what subject you want). Do you want to know about drum or sectional cable?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by schulte View Post
      Are there any threads about Opposite wound, right hand wound, and left hand wound cables? I tried searching the forums but found nothing.

I want to know when and why to use them, how to tell them apart from others.

Any links would be appreciated, or posts of course.

Thank you.

J

I'm not an expert in this area but here goes since nobody else has replied. Feel free to correct me where needed.

Most small cables for pistol rodders/small drums are right hand wound. This way the bulb/hook on the end will snag items and with torque the cable will expand against the chuck for better holding power.

I'm not sure why anyone would want a left hand wound cable for a pistol rodder but they do offer them.

Almost all larger diameter drum cables are left hand wound. With torque the cable will get tighter and clamp down on the inner core if equipped. With these machines being more powerful this also helps from stressing/unwinding the cable.

Sectional cables are mostly left hand wound so the cable doesn't self feed into the line/blockage and pull/put stress on the machine/machine internals which are meant to be ran at a stationary location.

The exception being Eel/General 1.25", Eel 7/8" and Eel 5/8" which are right hand wound. Machines running this cable are mobile with the exception of the Eel Model N which is a drum machine spinning self feeding 5/8" dualmatic sectional cable.

Right hand wound cables will self feed which is great but can also be a bad thing it not careful.
      Last edited by AssTyme; 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks AssTyme,

I appreciate you taking time to respond. Just when I think I'm getting to understand everything, something seemingly simple is confusing. So if I understand correctly, if a cable has an inner core of metal or plastic, it will be left hand wound, otherwise it would be senseless for it to have a core...right?

J

Comment

Originally posted by schulte View Post
          Thanks AssTyme,

I appreciate you taking time to respond. Just when I think I'm getting to understand everything, something seemingly simple is confusing. So if I understand correctly, if a cable has an inner core of metal or plastic, it will be left hand wound, otherwise it would be senseless for it to have a core...right?

J

Not true as most if not all cable manufacturers offer right hand wound inner core 1/4" - 5/16" just to stiffen it up and make the cable more durable.

It's a bit confusing but don't put too much thought into it it's not an exact science
          Last edited by AssTyme; 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Marco uses a right hand cable in the larger machines.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Marco uses a right hand cable in the larger machines.

Mark

Yes I remember SewerRatz talking about this some time ago.

What is the reasoning for this ?

Comment

Marco had a feed that was a set of jaws that screwed the cable in the line so they went right hand to go in. To retreve the cable you pit it in reverse. Small cables like general they have left and right hand. The left hand are innercore and the end is reversed to turn right hand to tighten on the core they are he cables, right had are fl electric eel also makes left hand cored cables with the end turned right.

Comment

Originally posted by rod man View Post
                  Marco had a feed that was a set of jaws that screwed the cable in the line so they went right hand to go in. To retreve the cable you pit it in reverse. Small cables like general they have left and right hand. The left hand are innercore and the end is reversed to turn right hand to tighten on the core they are he cables, right had are fl electric eel also makes left hand cored cables with the end turned right.

Just went down stairs and looked (with my reading glasses) at one of my spare 1/4" Eel cables and yeah it's a left hand wound cable with a funky bend near the end of the bulb to give it a right hand hook.

I never knew this (eyesight is going, lol) thanX for the info Marvin

Comment

Working...
                  X