X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my catch of the year

had a very interesting one today on a bathtub drain.

large beverly hills home, upper daughters bathroom. kohler trip pop up missing along with the linkage. no grid strainer to prevent anything from falling into tub shoe.

snake from the removed trip lever with my k-39 and line is draining decent. then snake the shoe to remove a plastic shaver blade cover. then the tub stops draining completely

try from the overflow and my cable keeps going out the shoe. couldn't get it to go down and water is standing still. put my micro explorer into the overflow and the drain was blocked right below the shoe with what looks like a cap to a bottle. had the owner look at the camera and she couldn't picture what the daughter could have dropped in. no access panel and i'm thinking if i can spear the cap if it's plastic.

didn't have my flexible drill bit with me to drill and grab it. so instead i thought of using my wire stake sewer flags and bending a small hook into it. then heat it up with my torch and try to melt through it to snag it

the owner was looking on and not only did i snag it the first attempt. it turned out to be a little bottle they use for makeup samples. the wire actually welded itself into the bottle and it came out without an issue.

glad it wasn't made of glass.

there is now a strainer sitting in the drain shoe.

rick.

kohler pop up that was missing along with the linkage. the overflow plate didn't have the lingage attached to it.

makeup bottle i snagged with a hot wire hook.

wire welded to the bottle.

the rest of the collection.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-27-2013, 12:39 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: my catch of the year

That's an impressive snag. Great job.

Comment

Was the drain made of metal, abs or pvc
      Great Job

Comment

brass. i would have been out of luck with plastic.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thinking out of the box like that is what makes you successful.

Comment

Creative thinking

Do you think a RoPump would have had any success ?

I sucked this baby (along with a wad of hair) out of a bathroom tub. Sucked it up 12" vertically it was caught at a 90.

Comment

That thing really sucks.
              Where, in the U.S. can one purchase a Ropump.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald A View Post
                That thing really sucks.
                Where, in the U.S. can one purchase a Ropump.

Bought mine from eBay Europe around 2 years ago.

Member indeepinchicago has recently bought one from the states at:

Allied Plumbing Supply
                6949 W. Irving Park Road
                Chicago,IL. 60634

773-545-5492

Speak to Dan, he has knowledge of what the "Ropump Superplus" is, the model number is "72070X"
                Last edited by AssTyme; 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

How in the world did that makeup bottle make it down the drain? Was it the same od as the id of the drain? Do you think somebody put it in there on purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                    Bought mine from eBay Europe around 2 years ago.

Member indeepinchicago has recently bought one from the states at:

Allied Plumbing Supply
                    6949 W. Irving Park Road
                    Chicago,IL. 60634

773-545-5492

Speak to Dan, he has knowledge of what the "Ropump Superplus" is, the model number is "72070X"
                    Will contact.
                    Thanks

Comment

i had a similar experience a few months ago same kohler tub drain,linkage removed along with the pop-up,nothing to stop large objects from entering drain. could not get it open with milwaukee drill snake. had to cut access panel in kithen ceiling,could not get at trap from second floor. Removed trap ,,,,red brass with union,,,looked down 1 1/2 galvanized pipe and saw something pinned against 45 degree ell about 14 inches downsteam, could not get the object to move with snake,,,,,,had an 18 inch x 1/2 inch drill bit on the truck ,,,,,hand threaded into the drain pipe and came back with a shampoo bottle cap,,,,,,,they now have a stainer in their bathtub drain,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

i wonder if a good wet vac would work,,,,,,,,,$200 bucks for a hand suction gun rothenberg ropump seems a bit price-ee,,,,,,but so is a vacuum,,,,,,,,ill bet it is very handy tool

Comment

That is Amazing !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by cheesehead plumber View Post
                            i wonder if a good wet vac would work,,,,,,,,,$200 bucks for a hand suction gun rothenberg ropump seems a bit price-ee,,,,,,but so is a vacuum,,,,,,,,ill bet it is very handy tool
                            that was my next thought. would need a pretty flexible hose to get down the overflow. have used them in shower drains.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              that was my next thought. would need a pretty flexible hose to get down the overflow. have used them in shower drains.

rick.
                              Try a cut down garbage disposal adapter or one of those hacka-flex-ptrap adapters, they should fit to the end of your vac hose with little effort.
                              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                              X