X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you guys do?

I received a call from a past customer at almost midnite. His sewer was backing up into the house and slowly flooding the basement. He was very addiment about me showing up right away.
    Upon arrival there was close to 6inches of water and sewage in the basement. I quickly put on my rubber boots and located the clean out on a 4inch cast iron stack. Using my trusty k60 I quickly cleared the line(3/8" roots and several tampons/paper towels)
    I flushed the Line with hot water for about 15min, all appeared well.
    Three weeks later I receive call number 2 from the same customer this time however he had called during normal hours. Same issue.
    Again using my fantastic k60 the line quickly was cleared. This time however I knew there was more than meets the eye. My reverse auger was covered with clay and thick mud!
    I took photos of the auger and mess that was retrieved. I immediately got the home owner and showed him what was found and offered to camera the line to see what we were dealing with.
    Well that's when the sob story started about being up charged and how we're all crooks! This rubbed me the wrong way.
    Long story short I used my see snake color compact and immediately saw what the problem was. Major separation and partial collapse in the main lateral at 6feet outside the foundation wall.
    I explain to the customer that I cannot warranty the line because of the collapse and separation.
    This did not make him very happy.
    I prorated the whole job by 50% and did not provide a video copy of the camera service.
    So today call number 3. Customer states his sewer is backed up again and he called another plumber to do the job. He wants me to give the new plumber a recording of the camera job so he knows what he is up against. New plumber does not have camera or location equipment.

This pissed me off royally, and I told the customer and the plumber I would have to think this over and discuss this with others.

There ya have it guys, what would you guys do or how would you handle this?

Now mind you that this customer has received two service calls and a camera/location for half that of any of my other customers.
    Customer and plumber will not pay for my return services or for a copy of the inspection.

I like to make all my customers happy, this seems to me like a loosing battle.

Re: What would you guys do?

I always ask the customer if they would like a video or pictures of the inspection they are paying for. Did you ask ?

What are you using for a finishing blade ? You didn't notice anything (partial collapse) the first time you were out ?

If you didn't offer the video or pictures I would go out and record the inspection for free especially since you didn't catch the separation/collapse the first time and it's only a short distance out.
    Last edited by AssTyme; 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Since I really didn't charge for the camera we agreed that video documentation would not be provided.(sry I didn't mention this prior)
      The first time out I finisher up with a 3" sawtooth, the whole job was pretty smooth once I was through with the reverse auger. And I did not notice anything other than the larger roots that would have led me to believe a collapse was present.

Comment

When dealing with general population you're going to have some issues.

Do a great job and he might tell 1 person. Piss him off and he tells everyone.

Like it or not sometimes you have to keep the peace.............

I'm just sayin'........... that's how I roll.

Comment

I agree with your philosophy 100%
          However this guy led me to believe that I would be repairing the sewer, he actually has it scheduled march20th due to money issues.
          I expect customers to be just as honest with me as I am with them.

The new plumber was all set to dig today, I feel deceived and somewhat taken advantage of. ESP after the huge discount and baisically free video inspection.

Thank you AssTyme for your imput and quick response.
          Let's hear what the rest of the forum thinks and has to offer, maybe others have had similar experiences/problems.

Comment

Customers that whine about integrity often don't show it themselves.

I wouldn't share it.

Comment

Generally, if I encounter roots when cabling (and have the time) I'll do a quick video (no recording) just to see what I'm up against whether or not the customer asks me to. This I'll do at no charge but he doesn't get a copy or a location without paying the camera upcharge. If there's no prior history with stoppages and the roots are thin I won't bother with the camera.

Give the OTHER plumber your camera inspection?...nothing to even think over, the answer is NO! ...show me the money!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloPlumber View Post
                Since I really didn't charge for the camera we agreed that video documentation would not be provided.(sry I didn't mention this prior)
                The first time out I finisher up with a 3" sawtooth, the whole job was pretty smooth once I was through with the reverse auger. And I did not notice anything other than the larger roots that would have led me to believe a collapse was present.

Then the answer to them would be "no can do without some coin".

Comment

This is exactly what happened, I only camed the line because of the larger roots.
                  I did so so I knew what was going on. I give all my customers a warranty period and didn't want to deal with call backs covered by warranty.

A collapse is obv. Not covered by any warranty or guarantee.

Comment

This Guys a piece of crap. The Guys in the white hats,would pour coal oil down His chimney . Then when the house was blazing ,shoot the Busturd when He ran out. I Miss Hoppy !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

"So you want me to break out my $10,000 camera setup for free so my competition can make money?"

* CLICK*

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post
                        "So you want me to break out my $10,000 camera setup for free so my competition can make money?"

* CLICK*
                        Agree fully with the above. Since there was an agreement for no recording the cust. should go dink himself.

If you decide to do the dig, get all the money up front. I think you'll regret it otherwise.
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I would make him a "past" customer once again. This time for good.
                          26+6=1

Comment

Buffalo, forget about it. You'll never win.

If you charged them to camera the line, then they derserve the video, dvd. If you didn't charge, but just did it for your own good, then they don't derserve a free video.

Now, the issue I still have is, where is my royality $$$ for using my rick reverse auger

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post

* CLICK*
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X