Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for dueling toilet augers !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

    Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Actually, being a Pro means you have enough tools in your arsenal to get the job done properly and not have a go-back.

    Mark


    The items in the pictures posted above I felt with my auger and knew something was not ok even though I did not snag them out. Would you have felt them with a plunger after all the crap was plunged by them ??? I also pull a lot of pens, markers, combs, etc... from public restrooms.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

      Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      Sorry but walking into a home with a house hold plunger does not look very good

      Say & think what you will but I can see where some customers would frown upon it after receiving the bill

      We're not talking rocket science here just a $40.00 auger to do a better job and look a bit more professional.

      Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      The items in the pictures posted above I felt with my auger and knew something was not ok even though I did not snag them out. Would you have felt them with a plunger after all the crap was plunged by them ??? I also pull a lot of pens, markers, combs, etc... from public restrooms.

      You're missing the point. Evaluating the problem comes first before you even hit the door. In a public restroom or a home with kids you are looking for stuff like that and an auger may be the right tool to use. Either way before you leave the job you test the water closet. If it is still not flushing you look into it further. When Rick is using a plunger it is often for a senior citizen who he doesn't charge or charges very little. The question you should be asking is what his call-back rate is and what his repeat costumer rate is. Knowing Rick I can tell you his call-back rate is non existent and his repeat customers rate, including many of his competitors. is incredible. There is a reason he is so busy yet has never advertised.

      Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

        Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        You're missing the point. Evaluating the problem comes first before you even hit the door. In a public restroom or a home with kids you are looking for stuff like that and an auger may be the right tool to use. Either way before you leave the job you test the water closet. If it is still not flushing you look into it further. When Rick is using a plunger it is often for a senior citizen who he doesn't charge or charges very little. The question you should be asking is what his call-back rate is and what his repeat costumer rate is. Knowing Rick I can tell you his call-back rate is non existent and his repeat customers rate, including many of his competitors. is incredible. There is a reason he is so busy yet has never advertised.

        Mark


        No, you're missing the point. Why not just do it right the first time ? There's really not much thought to be put into a clogged toilet. It takes VERY LITTLE extra effort to use an auger unless you're incompetent and will scratch the hell out of it or blow out the side

        I guess those false teeth, medicine bottles & misc items laying on the toilet tank lid that inadvertently fell in from elderly persons homes the last few years were from the grandkids visiting

        And yeah, I know that Rick is the cult leader around here that can do no wrong and it's taboo to deviate from his normal routine


        C'mon, sit back and think about it.............

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

          Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          No, you're missing the point. Why not just do it right the first time ? There's really not much thought to be put into a clogged toilet. It takes VERY LITTLE extra effort to use an auger unless you're incompetent and will scratch the hell out of it or blow out the side

          I guess those false teeth, medicine bottles & misc items laying on the toilet tank lid that inadvertently fell in from elderly persons homes the last few years were from the grandkids visiting

          And yeah, I know that Rick is the cult leader around here that can do no wrong and it's taboo to deviate from his normal routine


          C'mon, sit back and think about it.............
          What was there in what I posted that said there is not a time and place for an auger? I personally would go for an auger before a plunger but that does not mean those using a plunger are wrong. It's all about what works for you and your customer.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

            Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            What was there in what I posted that said there is not a time and place for an auger? I personally would go for an auger before a plunger but that does not mean those using a plunger are wrong. It's all about what works for you and your customer.

            Mark

            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            I've been using a plunger 95% of the time with perfect results and no scratched toilets.

            Rick.


            I'm sorry I thought you were standing behind the above comment which I find impossible to believe.
            Last edited by AssTyme; 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

              Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              I'm sorry I thought you were standing behind the above comment which I find impossible to believe.
              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              What was there in what I posted that said there is not a time and place for an auger? I personally would go for an auger before a plunger but that does not mean those using a plunger are wrong. It's all about what works for you and your customer.
              No need to apologize, you just put the emphasis in the wrong area. It is okay to have a preferred method. It is a mistake to have an only method.

              Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                I'm off to HD to restock my van and purchase my new K-3 drop head toilet auger. Hopefully they have one in stock as I've only seen the bulb head augers in the past.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                  Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  No need to apologize, you just put the emphasis in the wrong area. It is okay to have a preferred method. It is a mistake to have an only method.

                  Mark


                  I've been doing this 3 years probably averaging just under 2 toilets per week and have yet to use a plunger on a toilet even once.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                    if you think an auger doesn't scratch a toilet. you have a lot to learn. you might not see it from the owners standpoint and as far as you're concerned, that's fine. but within the trap, weir and horn, you just scuffed the heck out of the porcelain. what is any different than within the bowl in plain site or out of site. it's still scared and will collect dirt. even worse when you do it to a toto toilet with the sani gloss finish.

                    knowing how to ask questions and properly diagnose the problem is the key to success. also flushing a 1/2 roll of paper before i leave guarantees results.

                    a drop head auger is pretty useless in the lower flow toilets. it was meant for back to backs and i doubt that you see back to backs in the majority of your calls.

                    my customers are like family and i treat them like family. i doubt you can afford to charge $45.00 call for a plugged toilet like i do.

                    keep scratching the inside of the toilets and i'll keep plunging the toilets with great results.

                    you just proved that the stoppages are in the toilet by using a 3' auger.

                    let me know when you have 37 years in the business and no advertising budget. when other plumbers are referring you on a regular basis. when you have customers that leave you a blank check and let you lock up when you finish. it's called trust. if i didn't trust my plunger, i wouldn't be swearing by it. don't think i don't own an auger. i've probably have 6 floating around. but 95% of my toilet stoppages don't require an auger. in fact showers and floor drains see more use for my augers than toilets.

                    rick.
                    phoebe it is

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                      I like my new ridged k6, but I taught my wife to fill the lav and let it louse to help suck the problems out of her com not going down.
                      I just hold the handle and let the water pressure do the job and go on
                      Getting back on track I am liking the new K6

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                        I don't think those marks are scratches. I think they are marks. They come right off with muriatic acid and are undectable afterward (at least in my experience). I have no qualms about unseen ones up inside the toilet.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          if you think an auger doesn't scratch a toilet. you have a lot to learn. you might not see it from the owners standpoint and as far as you're concerned, that's fine. but within the trap, weir and horn, you just scuffed the heck out of the porcelain. what is any different than within the bowl in plain site or out of site. it's still scared and will collect dirt. even worse when you do it to a toto toilet with the sani gloss finish.

                          knowing how to ask questions and properly diagnose the problem is the key to success. also flushing a 1/2 roll of paper before i leave guarantees results.

                          a drop head auger is pretty useless in the lower flow toilets. it was meant for back to backs and i doubt that you see back to backs in the majority of your calls.

                          my customers are like family and i treat them like family. i doubt you can afford to charge $45.00 call for a plugged toilet like i do.

                          keep scratching the inside of the toilets and i'll keep plunging the toilets with great results.

                          you just proved that the stoppages are in the toilet by using a 3' auger.

                          let me know when you have 37 years in the business and no advertising budget. when other plumbers are referring you on a regular basis. when you have customers that leave you a blank check and let you lock up when you finish. it's called trust. if i didn't trust my plunger, i wouldn't be swearing by it. don't think i don't own an auger. i've probably have 6 floating around. but 95% of my toilet stoppages don't require an auger. in fact showers and floor drains see more use for my augers than toilets.

                          rick.



                          OMG, Yada Yada Yada you'll never change............

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                            Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            I don't think those marks are scratches. I think they are marks. They come right off with muriatic acid and are undectable afterward (at least in my experience). I have no qualms about unseen ones up inside the toilet.


                            Yeah that's just Rick blowing smoke.......

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                              Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              OMG, Yada Yada Yada you'll never change............
                              And you'll never learn. Keep thinking you know everthing about plumbing as an unlicensed drain cleaner.

                              Rick.
                              phoebe it is

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

                                Okay, both of you knock it off.

                                Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X