Time for dueling toilet augers !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

Boys, don't make ME come upstairs with the SWITCH !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
      I'm off to HD to restock my van and purchase my new K-3 drop head toilet auger. Hopefully they have one in stock as I've only seen the bulb head augers in the past.

My HD doesn't stock the drop head augers. They only had four 3' bulb heads

Have to get one from another source.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Okay, both of you knock it off.

Mark

Yeah, what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Everyone at this table brings value !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I agree with Assy on this one. I've gone out to a customers house that has interment problems.....flush a bunch of TP and it flushes fine.....run the auger anyway and pull out a comb or whatever. Do it right the first time and run your auger. You just never know.....

Comment

What's all this talk about scratching the trap and horn and collecting "dirt"?

Drop heads meant for back to back? Huh??

Useless for lower flow toilets? Huh??

Using the auger has not increased the tendency of toilet clogging by dirt build up and all that other stuff. Those little marks from the cable are nothing.

What's all this talk about scratching the bowl anyway?

The customers who I get who have regular toilet stoppages get them because they have tough poop, not scratched traps with built up dirt.

I have a six footer because I also use it on floor drains.

Rick, didn't you say you ran a K-50 through a toilet?

Comment

Yes, ive run my 5/8" k50 through a plugged up toilet on a second floor when I wasn't going to pull the toilet full of waste and tub partially filled. Turned out to be wipes and i used my front half of the closet auger as a guide for the bowl.

Scratching the porcelain finish just makes it much more difficult for the home owner to keep the toilet clean. Just like using abrasives on a teflon coated pan.

Ive been installing low flow 1.6 toilets since 1990 when our codes changed. Just the first project alone was over 900 toilets. I don't remember having to use an auger on any of those before the project was compleated. A toilet stoppage with simple waste and paper is easily cleared with a good plunger. Typically in just a few strokes. Why would I want to use an auger and scratch a brand new toilet when a plunger does not scratch and works every time.

The only time an auger gets used is when foreign objects get flushed. Not very common with my customers. Probably less than 5% of the time.

The reason why I can clear it and the customer can't is typically because they have a junky soft old style plunger. That's why I offer them a brand new plunger when I'm done. The last thing a customer wants to do is call me everytime they plug a toilet.

Todays toilets are much better at flushing the contents than, the ones from the 90's. Also customers are much more accustom to using a 1.6/ 1.28 gpf toilet than they were 20+ years ago.

I would estimate more than 50% of my customers toilets are low flow. When a house, condo, or building is sold in los angeles, they are required to install low flow toilets. Plus most of my customers have remodeled their homes or bathrooms since 1990.

That makes for lots of low flow toilets. Years ago, I had much more toilet stoppage calls than I do now. Probably because the toilets have gotten better and the customers have gotten better at unstopping their own toilets. I always try to walk them through it over the phone first.

As far as a drop head auger, very difficult to get them through the horn of some of the low flow toilets. Don't use them anymore. A normal bulb head works on most toilets. Although ive had some that didn't pass the horn. Ran a camera to discover a poor design with a ledge cast into the horn. Waste and paper would hang up and stop up the toilet. Mentioned this to adam and he called me months later with the same issue, also on a kohler toilet.

If a plunger works, 95% of the time, why would I use anything else?

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Everyone at this table brings value !
                  You means like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX1JsaFMKug
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I personally don't start off clearing a toilet with the plunger. Always go in with the auger first. The customer usually has already tried the plunger anyways. Many times what was called in as a toilet stoppage turns out to be a main sewer blocked. People think that because the toilet doesn't flush so that must be the problem. They all act shocked when I tell them the $100 service charge is now going to cost them four times that amount.

My problem with the plunger is, if it isn't used properly it'll blow out the wax ring. On the older homes here that still have lead closet bends a 6 foot auger can punch through a thin spot in the lead.

Comment

I will auger a toilet stoppage first, and that is the main thing I do with clogged toilets, but I think a lot of y'all are underestimating the power of a good plunging a plunger can do if you know how to work one.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                        I will auger a toilet stoppage first, and that is the main thing I do with clogged toilets, but I think a lot of y'all are underestimating the power of a good plunging a plunger can do if you know how to work one.

Doesn't matter as no plunger can snag an object from the trap or clean the sides of the trap plus walking into a customers home with a ghetto handyman/handyhack plunger just looks bad.
                        Last edited by AssTyme; 03-11-2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Do ghetto plungers have graffiti on them?

Comment

Nothing wrong with having a plunger or using one. I've used a plunger many times to clear tub crossbars of tissue after the sewer was unclogged. My problem with plungers is keeping up with them.

Comment

Amazing that my plunger just cleared a toilet today for a brand new customer who just had rescue rooter there this weekend saturday and sunday, with a $1500.00 estimate in hand. Both upper and lower toilets were plugged. Yet the tub and sink showed no syptoms and the 4" 2 way c/o looked good and flowing. I even tested the lower toilet with 1/2 roll of toilet paper.

Guess my go too plunger beats a drum machine too. Either my plunger is the bomb, or my work ethics are up and up

The neighbor recommended me when he saw the truck there both saturday and sunday.

Never worked for either of them and the neighbor got my number from the hardware store when he went there looking for help.

Rick
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                Amazing that my plunger just cleared a toilet today for a brand new customer who just had rescue rooter there this weekend saturday and sunday, with a $1500.00 estimate in hand. Both upper and lower toilets were plugged. Yet the tub and sink showed no syptoms and the 4" 2 way c/o looked good and flowing. I even tested the lower toilet with 1/2 roll of toilet paper.

Guess my go too plunger beats a drum machine too. Either my plunger is the bomb, or my work ethics are up and up

The neighbor recommended me when he saw the truck there both saturday and sunday.

Never worked for either of them and the neighbor got my number from the hardware store when he went there looking for help.

Rick
                                Any Man that can lift a plate compactor with one hand Must be a terror with a plunger ! Tough to get old and see a lot of Your strength gone. How about a video of Your Plunge Technique ! We all might learn something !

Comment

Working...
                                X