X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for dueling toilet augers !!

I can't recall the last time I used a plunger on a toilet.

Comment

Kevin, not to brag, but I did it with 2 fingers with my right hand only. If I remember correctly, it was a 203# gas plate compactor. 1 finger was too much and I couldn't get a grip.

I gently just plunged 2 or 3 times with the owner and neighbor looking on.

The whole story and estimate didn't make much sense.

I did call rescue rooter to have them come back out and clean up their mess upstairs and install the toilet properly. They left the toilet filthy and it was sitting on the flange. Didn't know it wasn't connected when I turned on the angle stop. Got squirted In the face

I didn't bother cleaning up their left over mess, especially after she already paid them $150.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have a plate compactor , and that is impressive ! I've delt with Rescue rooter here in My hood ! After they screwed over My neighbor, I saved the day and words out in My Hood. Well done friend
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          Doesn't matter as no plunger can snag an object from the trap or clean the sides of the trap plus walking into a customers home with a ghetto handyman/handyhack plunger just looks bad.

I ask the customer. If they think there kids put a toy in it, my approach would be different. Fact is most toilet stoppages are either a big terd, too much paper, or too much meds. Plunger works for that.
          Will Rogers Plumbing
          Moore, Oklahoma
          (
          405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
          http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Had one yesterday that was related to new medicne. Could not clear it with a closet auger and the customer tried a plunger. Had lit he toilet and work it from both ends to get it clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
              I ask the customer. If they think there kids put a toy in it, my approach would be different. Fact is most toilet stoppages are either a big terd, too much paper, or too much meds. Plunger works for that.

Most will just act stupid & flat out lie to you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                I can't recall the last time I used a plunger on a toilet.

There is a time & place for a plunger and a toilet is NOT one of them.

Comment

We use to do all of the Mann's and Edward's Theater. Weekends were brutal and 30 water closet stoppages a weekend was nothing. We has a Janitors mop bucket on wheels with two folding signs a a drop cloth, plunger and a auger. Multiple stoppages would generally mean the theaters were understaffed and no one had serviced the bathrooms so they ran out of paper. I'd say 99.9% of those were soft stoppages which only required a plunger. The big advantage to the Mann's chain is they would let all of my guys and their families in for free. I use to actually have to remind the guys to not abuse the offer.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, based on all the weekend stoppages, it sounds like it was cheaper just to give an employee the opportunity for the day off with pay to watch the movies. 1 catch, he needed to come with his plunger too bad you didn't know me back then.

Why didn't the staff / manager just plunge the toilets themselves? 30 bills would cut into their popcorn profits

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

And buttered POP CORN while plunging away !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If they ate enough buttered popcorn, it probably wouldn't clump up and plug the toilets

Mark, were these low flows, tank or flushometers?

Even low flow flushometers can flush a tub of corn

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          Mark, based on all the weekend stoppages, it sounds like it was cheaper just to give an employee the opportunity for the day off with pay to watch the movies. 1 catch, he needed to come with his plunger too bad you didn't know me back then.

Why didn't the staff / manager just plunge the toilets themselves? 30 bills would cut into their popcorn profits

Rick.
                          Employees were not allowed to unless they were the janitors. The janitors didn't come in until 2:00 AM. With one or two stoppages they will wait for the janitors. Anything more than that and we would get called out.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            If they ate enough buttered popcorn, it probably wouldn't clump up and plug the toilets

Mark, were these low flows, tank or flushometers?

Even low flow flushometers can flush a tub of corn

Rick.
                            These were all wall hung with flush valves.

Speaking of popcorn, the snack bar is where their profits comes from. I can't tell you how many hours I spent standing guard over a leak because they wouldn't let me turn the water off until closing.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              I personally don't start off clearing a toilet with the plunger. Always go in with the auger first. The customer usually has already tried the plunger anyways. Many times what was called in as a toilet stoppage turns out to be a main sewer blocked. People think that because the toilet doesn't flush so that must be the problem. They all act shocked when I tell them the $100 service charge is now going to cost them four times that amount.

My problem with the plunger is, if it isn't used properly it'll blow out the wax ring. On the older homes here that still have lead closet bends a 6 foot auger can punch through a thin spot in the lead.

And, the quick rundown of questions of whether more than one fixture is affected. Sink, tub. It's hard to get blamed for a blown out wax ring when you use a closet auger, and that's something an open hook can grab on a horned ring AND distort the wax, truth be told.

Wax rings get blown out all the time where I'm at from those who try plunging and fail. Sometimes upon arrival, sometimes after I leave. But I MUST ask upon arrival to set the facts inline for if that situation happens, that way I'm not blamed after the fact if the toilet starts to leak at the base. I educate them on this condition that "using a plunger can and will blow out the weakest link between plumbing system and toilet, which would be the wax ring." I get the head nod, use my auger, have no worries if they call back and say the toilet is leaking at the base. I quizzed them firsthand and they know it, and why I'm using that auger.

I will auger a toilet stoppage first, and that is the main thing I do with clogged toilets, but I think a lot of y'all are underestimating the power of a good plunging a plunger can do if you know how to work one.
                              Start with a Toto Drake. Looks like your shiitting in a trough. How on earth do you use a plunger effectively on that. Many times the bowl's design keeps effectiveness of a plunger out of the equation. Granted, if they were all mansfield 160's or AS cadet 2's or 3's, no issues. Not the case with the various designs made and found in use by the everyday plumber, everyday home.

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              Doesn't matter as no plunger can snag an object from the trap or clean the sides of the trap plus walking into a customers home with a ghetto handyman/handyhack plunger just looks bad.

Very valid statement, and who is to say that leftover matter isn't wicking out of the trapway, like can happen in cases of foreign materials or heavy toilet paper usage. Plunger looks and acts too simplified, and you'll humiliate your customer by picking up that same plunger and getting it open, like if they pulled the bar on a slot machine one-more-time it would of cashed out.

The closet auger looks like what you would expect every plumber to have in their arsenal for effective drain cleaning, regardless of popping the clog and getting it open. It's the guarantee a telescoping 6' auger provides; you state factual that your cable cleared that obstruction at least 6' into that plumbing system. Plungers will not without any mechanical performance.

I'm dropping #2's the size of nerf footballs lately, and no use of toilet paper and clogging toilets. A Kohler Wellworth choking to death in my master bathroom. Thank goodness the wooden spoon in the kitchen works well for assistance for breakup of solids. Puts a smile on my face when we eat soup on fridays, family all sitting together, happy. Damn this soup tastes great!

Why yes, yes it does.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                                I'm dropping #2's the size of nerf footballs lately, and no use of toilet paper and clogging toilets. A Kohler Wellworth choking to death in my master bathroom. Thank goodness the wooden spoon in the kitchen works well for assistance for breakup of solids. Puts a smile on my face when we eat soup on fridays, family all sitting together, happy. Damn this soup tastes great!

Why yes, yes it does.

Too much information..........

Comment

Working...
                                X