Another argument for jetting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another argument for jetting?

Did a blocked service yesterday. Got it open but something wasn't right. Camera showed a gas main directional bored half under and half through it. Glad I didn't grind on it with a cable and a blade. Be careful out there kids.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Another argument for jetting?

You're right. Jetting is like hydro excavating and much safer when going into the unknown. Even when doing uderground boring, I use my jetter instead of a drill just for that reason.

Believe me, I hit a gas main in a sewer around 1998, with my 7500. This was before the gas co ever had a clue there was a problem with residential crossbores. Used my camera to id it after I hit it. Called the fire dept and gas co. Fortunatly nothing too serious. Had it shut off in a couple hours. Fully repaired the next day and home owner was compensated for every sewer call in the 5 years it was there. Of course no one else cut the line but me with my 7500 and blades. My k60 with rotary saw would have been scary.

Had an electrical conduit main that took out the sewer for the phone co back in 2000. That I located. The original plumber fortunatly didn't cut through when he snaked.

Good info alex.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I fixed the sewer then called h/o and gas co. They had to replace the section of gas line I chewed up with my cable and blade.
      Attached Files

Comment

We put the Blade Cutter on the back of the Root Ranger through the gas pipe in a sewer line. The client called us back complaining of a sewer smell in the bathroom. To our surprise, the toilet bowl was bubbling gas! I can't see find the video of it. Very funny/dangerous!
        Attached Files
        Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm all for jetting, but I'm amazed that these utilities are getting away with this. It doesn't happen every day, but it's come up a lot in the past few years. I would think the gas and electric companies are afraid of huge lawsuits or insurance payouts. I've assisted a repair in this area where a 4" had the home electrical service line bored right through it. If a jetter managed to strip or tear off enough insulation on that wire.. Very scary; another reason to use the camera if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
            We put the Blade Cutter on the back of the Root Ranger through the gas pipe in a sewer line. The client called us back complaining of a sewer smell in the bathroom. To our surprise, the toilet bowl was bubbling gas! I can't see find the video of it. Very funny/dangerous!
            Sorry Guys cant resist. We are a bit further down South than our Bill. Mind you we are a whole lot better down here. We don't seem to have many of these things happen, must be that we are a bit better educated down here(just joking Bill.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
            However I do remember that when we had the big Pay-Tv run out one directional mob jumped in and out of a gas main nearly 20 times with one push. Cost em plenty

Comment

just reading and looking at the pictures scares the hell out of me but touch wood I have never in my forty years of cleaning sewers come across gas pipe being bored through a sewerage pipe are they just cowboys in the US you would think that he borers would check to see what utilities are under ground or they would have a feel as we do with our sewer cables when coming up against something solid underground

Tony

Comment

Ok, time to admit my size 9's are firmly in my mouth. Did a camera inspection today, got a 26mtr push uphill on an old ceramic stormwater. Spooked the absolute buggery out of god knows how many spiders and other. Anyhow went to the other one and got 1.5mtrs in when I spotted what I believe is 3/4 copper tube for the water main. Strange thing is that there is a conduit symbol marked real close by. BTW Tony, this is just round the corner from your hunting ground too. Thought how lucky I was going at this drain with a camera and not a cable.

Comment

Working...
                X