X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Blockage............

This was tough, I've never had anything like this one.

Figured I'd be in & out in no time. No trees in sight, around 60' to city main and I knew it was a 4" cast line so I wheel in my Spartan 300 and started with a 3" half blade as I usually do. It was like hitting a wall at 29' out, wouldn't bite, no progress.

I then brought down the Eel 1.25" cable and rodded with the smallest spear head and my Makita DS4011. Slowly made it into the blockage a few feet, went back & forth several times but it was stressing out the drill so bad I figured I better quit before I burned it up.

Grabbed the Milwaukee 1660-6 and went at it some more making further progress to almost 40'. Even the Milwaukee was bogging down. It would back spin pretty good every time I let off the gas. It felt like I was rodding earth. Tried a few different bits.... every time I pulled the cable back the 1' hollow leader and first few feet of cable was packed full of thick black sludge.

I'm like WTF ??? Went out to the van and grabbed the hose & blow bag and let it run for a few minutes. The first 2 times it was taking water but wouldn't open. Finally on the 3rd attempt it broke loose.

Ran the Seesnake to see what was going on. The first video (counter not accurate, not reset) shows an old 4" cast line in OK condition. All of a sudden at just over 7' you can see where the blockage had started with all the black crud on the sides and top of pipe. As quickly as the black crud started it quickly goes away just after 13'.

Rodded again with my 300 and ran camera to verify line, 2nd video.

WTH would cause such a TOUGH blockage like this right smack in the middle of an OK looking line ???

Note: Photobucket must have lowered the quality of my videos as they aren't anywhere near as nice as the originals

Last edited by AssTyme; 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM.

Re: Strange Blockage............

tampons or wipes with a bunch of soft pack
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I've been running into a lot of swiffer sweeper floor cleaner wipes lately as well
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        tampons or wipes with a bunch of soft pack

I didn't find any tampons or wipes. One VERY TOUGH blockage that ran several feet long, quickly starting and ending with no reasoning of why...........
        Last edited by AssTyme; 04-30-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

My best guess is that there was a partial blockage there for a very long time. Grease and crap hardened up around the object the you eventually pushed whatever it was down into the main. That would leave the walls of the pipe stained as you described.

Comment

Sounds like it would have been a good time for the k60!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
              Sounds like it would have been a good time for the k60!

ThanX for the advise but if the drill & Eel cable had a hard time I'm pretty sure it would have stalled out and made a buzzing sound when it hit the blockage

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                My best guess is that there was a partial blockage there for a very long time. Grease and crap hardened up around the object the you eventually pushed whatever it was down into the main. That would leave the walls of the pipe stained as you described.

That's also what I was thinking just wanted confirmation from a guru

Comment

I'm gonna have to go with Plumberscrack on this one......I have had a few lines where I ran the double blades only to be stopped then half blade also to be denied....then after practically standing on the cable with an arrow I get it to go...then camera and see nothing....I always figured it was a packed blockage of some kind and once I got flow it pushed out.....then I could follow up with bigger cutters and everything was good....so I sit there and scratch my head wondering....it don't happen often but its always puzzling when it does....
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

greases, soaps, and fats can cause stuff like this. so can paints, plaster, cig butts, and aquarium gravel. it all sets up like concrete once it gets a grip.
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Gary, did the sewer line sit dry or unused foe awhile? I've been running into hard clogs in homes that have sat on the market for years then when someone buys and moves in backs up.
                      Some were a PITA to clear. Drill and eel got it done.
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Gene, You been getting those too I see. I'm getting them where home health care workers clean homes for the elderly
                        Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                          Gary, did the sewer line sit dry or unused foe awhile? I've been running into hard clogs in homes that have sat on the market for years then when someone buys and moves in backs up.
                          Some were a PITA to clear. Drill and eel got it done.

No but it was occupied by 2 elderly people.

Comment

elderly can flush some odd stuff sometimes
                            Rod

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                              elderly can flush some odd stuff sometimes
                              And not even no it , or remember it

Comment

Working...
                              X