Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General 4" Heavy Duty Side Cutter Blades #L-4HDSC....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General 4" Heavy Duty Side Cutter Blades #L-4HDSC....

Those are one of the very few cutters that General Wire made that was a HUGE disapointment.....next time pm me on general wire cutters and cables....its all I use...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Have any of y'all used the Clog Chopper?
      Will Rogers Plumbing
      Moore, Oklahoma
      (
      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post

I know they are very $$$.

Comment

Ive heard they are $150+, just didnt know if they worked. I paid $240 I beleive for my Eel expanding cutter, don't feel it was a waste of money.
          Will Rogers Plumbing
          Moore, Oklahoma
          (
          405) 323-2852

Comment

No personal experience myself but I remember reading threads from the past that the 3 and 4" have a weak spot and breaks where the bottom connects to the blades. 422 has the small one for urinals and says it great for that. Personally I think a ridgid 4 bladed cutter works just great on urinal lines as well.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ive heard they are $150+, just didnt know if they worked. I paid $240 I beleive for my Eel expanding cutter, don't feel it was a waste of money.

I paid more the price has gone up, and yes I agree.
              Last edited by AssTyme; 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                No personal experience myself but I remember reading threads from the past that the 3 and 4" have a weak spot and breaks where the bottom connects to the blades. 422 has the small one for urinals and says it great for that. Personally I think a ridgid 4 bladed cutter works just great on urinal lines as well.

I like that 4 blade cutter ridgid makes also. The connector on the Clog Chopper does look like a weak point for sure. Guess I'll pass on it.
                Will Rogers Plumbing
                Moore, Oklahoma
                (
                405) 323-2852

Comment

I have the 3" clog chopper and when I know its a soft blockage of paper or grease....I put that on with the spring leader and usually it get flow on the first pass.....I don't feel I wasted money on it.....now the 4" I used once and the pointy tip unscrewed off!!! I got my money back on that one and it probably is a waste....
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                    I have the 3" clog chopper and when I know its a soft blockage of paper or grease....I put that on with the spring leader and usually it get flow on the first pass.....I don't feel I wasted money on it.....now the 4" I used once and the pointy tip unscrewed off!!! I got my money back on that one and it probably is a waste....

Are those the actual measurements or are they undersized like the rest of their bits ? What size lines are you using the 3" on ? Is it your final pass/bit used on that line ?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      you you need to get the spiral root saw by general that's the best cutter out there.

Rick.

How does that long 4RSB do negotiating 4" cast 90's, I bet not very good ? I've been hung up really bad twice with my 1.25" cable and both times were with the Eel 4" spiral root saw on 4" risers/90's under the street. None of my root saws are very good for negotiating corners. The best would be the General 4HDB because it's the shortest in length.

Just this last Sunday I was stuck in a riser just over 90' out. Luckily the owner owns a roofing company and Monday morning he sent 4 of his strong boys out to help me pull the cable out. Didn't think it was going to give it flexed around 10' before we started letting it slowly return in the sewer (to regroup and give it another try) and when it was around half way back it quickly snapped loose. I thought it had broke but all was good it all came back unharmed.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                        How does that long 4RSB do negotiating 4" cast 90's, I bet not very good ? I've been hung up really bad twice with my 1.25" cable and both times were with the Eel 4" spiral root saw on 4" risers/90's under the street. None of my root saws are very good for negotiating corners. The best would be the General 4HDB because it's the shortest in length.

Just this last Sunday I was stuck in a riser just over 90' out. Luckily the owner owns a roofing company and Monday morning he sent 4 of his strong boys out to help me pull the cable out. Didn't think it was going to give it flexed around 10' before we started letting it slowly return in the sewer (to regroup and give it another try) and when it was around half way back it quickly snapped loose. I thought it had broke but all was good it all came back unharmed.
                        Actually the 4" hd blade would be worse as its more of a hole saw and doesn't have any play.

The standard 4" spiral saw is the best as it has more of a running spiral and will navigate the 4" bends. Its designed as a double blade side by side. Although I usually run just 1 saw blade. Forward cuts and reverse tears and rips.

Use my 3" or 4" as my first cutter everytime in a 3" or 4" cleanout. 2" and smaller get my reverse auger.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with rick about the lighter duty spiral root saws. The eel root cutters, general HD root saws, and ridgid HD spiral saw cutters are only good if you are rodding a straight run. They don't negotiate elbows well and god help you if you get it stuck in a piece of clay pipe that is offset at the joint.

The Ridgid T-23 is the best 4" cutter I have. It cuts well on the way out and on the way back in due to the teeth on both sides of the blade. Like rick said, rips and tears really nice in reverse too. The T-23 is a thinner blade than the HD cutters and negotiates elbows and offset pipe very well as it has a bit of "flex" to it from being a thinner metal. The downside is that the wear out a LOT faster than the HD cutters.

Comment

I use the Electric Eel spiral root saw all the time with not much issues at all. Will go through most bends and never gets stuck. I'm refering to the HDD-3S spiral root saw. I don't use there "finish" root saw, A-14DC as that cutter will get you stuck 50% of the time....

AT,
                            Do you have there 12" flexible spring leader? It's not in the catalog, but it is just like the flexible spearhead they make, but you can just any cutter on it you want.

http://www.electriceel.com/pdfs/Cabl...ctionGuide.pdf
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

Comment

I use the Electric Eel spiral root saw all the time with not much issues at all. Will go through most bends and never gets stuck. I'm refering to the HDD-3S spiral root saw. I don't use there "finish" root saw, A-14DC as that cutter will get you stuck 50% of the time....

AT,
                              Do you have there 12" flexible spring leader?
                              It's not in the catalog, but it is just like the flexible spearhead they make, but you can just any cutter on it you want.

http://www.electriceel.com/pdfs/Cabl...ctionGuide.pdf

Yes I always run the hollow leader.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                Actually the 4" hd blade would be worse as its more of a hole saw and doesn't have any play.

The standard 4" spiral saw is the best as it has more of a running spiral and will navigate the 4" bends. Its designed as a double blade side by side. Although I usually run just 1 saw blade. Forward cuts and reverse tears and rips.

Use my 3" or 4" as my first cutter everytime in a 3" or 4" cleanout. 2" and smaller get my reverse auger.

Rick.

It's on the list for my next order I'll let you know what I think of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X