Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General 4" Heavy Duty Side Cutter Blades #L-4HDSC....

Just to try something different I ordered the "General 4" Heavy Duty Side Cutter Blades" (#L-4HDSC) to try out with my Eel 1.25" cable. These blades are garbage and don't look to be what is listed on the General web site (General Pipe Cleaners Cutters). The blades are thin and the fit is VERY sloppy in the L adapter. Total joke, these blades wouldn't hold up in a tough root job they would get bent.

I broke in on a POS General Senior drum machine running these blades. I guess I forgot how bad theses things were

I called where I purchased this from and voiced my opinion I can't believe this is the correct blade. It's half as thick as the HD Eel blades which are also locked in by pins but have zero play in the holder.

Last edited by AssTyme; 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM.

Re: General 4" Heavy Duty Side Cutter Blades #L-4HDSC....

Those blades look like what came with my 91. Are they meant for 1 1/4 cable?

Comment

These blades are 4sc blades not 4hdsc blades. The hdsc blades are 1 piece and go with a allen head screw in the center of the coupling marvin

Comment

Originally posted by rod man View Post
        These blades are 4sc blades not 4hdsc blades. The hdsc blades are 1 piece and go with a allen head screw in the center of the coupling marvin

I'll be making another phone call.

ThanX

Comment

What do you expect, it's General.
          Will Rogers Plumbing
          Moore, Oklahoma
          (
          405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
          http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
            What do you expect, it's General.

I agree for the most part but I do like the General sectional coupling wrench as it has a different/better end, is longer and has a visible orange rubber handle.

I also like the General water ram

Comment

you you need to get the spiral root saw by general that's the best cutter out there.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                you you need to get the spiral root saw by general that's the best cutter out there.

Rick.

I do run the General L-4HDB heavy duty saw blades. They are OK, I like the larger teeth and somewhat lower price.

The problem I have with them is the backside teeth are not cut for running in reverse (as are the Eel blades) and the sloppiness of the cutter/mounting pin.

I also cannot use them as is in a lot of sewers around here as they are just over 3" in diameter. I cut off about 2" of the spiral on the current one I'm using to make it fit in a 3" cleanout. Another one I use I left intact to use on the 3 1/2" cleanout openings. 4" cleanout openings on a cast line are rare around my parts.

Comment

Forget the heavy duty spiral saw. Its junk and too heavy.

Get the 3-rsb or 4-rsb. It's all I use on both my 7/8" and 1.25" cables. In reverse rotation its a great hook auger too.

I have the hd saw and its not near as effective.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Anyway to get a few close ups of the General cutters for the 1.25" sectional cable. I'd like to see how thae compare to Electric Eel. I can put some pics of my Eel cutters, which I feel are the best you can buy hands down.
                    Will Rogers Plumbing
                    Moore, Oklahoma
                    (
                    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      Forget the heavy duty spiral saw. Its junk and too heavy.

Get the 3-rsb or 4-rsb. It's all I use on both my 7/8" and 1.25" cables. In reverse rotation its a great hook auger too.

I have the hd saw and its not near as effective.

Rick.

I never really gave it a second look because it's not listed as HD and it also looks like it might get easily hung up. I put one on my list for the next time I order.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                        Anyway to get a few close ups of the General cutters for the 1.25" sectional cable. I'd like to see how thae compare to Electric Eel. I can put some pics of my Eel cutters, which I feel are the best you can buy hands down.

Here's a L-4HDB that got hung up & broke on a 6" to 4" transition.

Comment

Originally posted by rod man View Post
                          What he said. I've used the HD's and those aren't it.

Comment

Rick, what are you using to mount the general spiral blades in the 7/8@ cable?

Comment

Very simple, remove the useless spade blade from the allen screw and mount a single 3" or 4" spiral saw in its place.

The blade will cut in forward and in reverse it will grab and tear.

Been using them for a good 5 years with great results.

Rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X