X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Traps?

For you guys that see them, is it normal to find them out in a residential parkway (between the sidewalk and the street) with no cleanouts on either side?

I had never encountered them until this past week and then I found 2 of them! Both 6" clay tile. 1 house built in 1920's, 1 built in 1890's.

I was able to get a spear through them on my 1.25" cables but could not get the camera to pass either. 1 appears to be broken, the other is intact. Both lines are open and flowing at this point.

What are your experiences with these?

Re: House Traps?

I have only found them on old mobile home parks. I guess the inspecters insisted on them. My cable doesn't handle traps well at all so I turn them down I have never seen one on a house yet.

Comment

I have only found one
      I cut it out that day

Comment

The only ones around here are in the city south of me. There is one cookie cutter subdivision from the 40's/50's where the only cleanout is on a 3" trapped soil stack in the rear of the house. As soon as it exits the foundation it goes to 6" clay

I'm only able to get a 2 1/2" C cutter through running my .55 cable. Clears that 6" line really well

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          I have only found one
          I cut it out that day
          With these being in the parkway (right of way to the city) digging means a hefty deposit; plus the water service is right on top of one of them so probably have to hand dig. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention, it's 6.5' deep Probably going to leave it until (if) it becomes a problem

Comment

Run into them on occasion and have only 1 that I could not get the 1 1/4 cable through.

I always thought they should have c/o on both sides.
            It would help.

Comment

Whole house traps are all over S.F. They at the curb. You've seen the Hills in S.F. From the Movie Bullet,Steve Mc Queen.
              Plumbing Inspector said, this protects the in hose traps from fast Moving water in street sewers. Otherwise they might get siphoned. Probable a story He Heard from old timers. Who Knows ?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                I have only found one
                I cut it out that day
                You'd be in trouble in S.F. If they caught You !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks Tool, that was kinda what I was thinking about the siphon-age theory. Seems like back in the day human logic/reasoning was the rule for how systems were designed. My how far civil engineering has come.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    For you guys that see them, is it normal to find them out in a residential parkway (between the sidewalk and the street) with no cleanouts on either side?

I had never encountered them until this past week and then I found 2 of them! Both 6" clay tile. 1 house built in 1920's, 1 built in 1890's.

I was able to get a spear through them on my 1.25" cables but could not get the camera to pass either. 1 appears to be broken, the other is intact. Both lines are open and flowing at this point.

What are your experiences with these?
                    Very common in La Grange. Some had vents that came up to street level in the park way. The vent was in the middle of the trap which made rodding a little easer with a trap spoon. But most vents got broke, and covered up over the years.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Whole house traps are all over S.F. They at the curb. You've seen the Hills in S.F. From the Movie Bullet,Steve Mc Queen.
                      Plumbing Inspector said, this protects the in hose traps from fast Moving water in street sewers. Otherwise they might get siphoned. Probable a story He Heard from old timers. Who Knows ?
                      whole house traps are all over the older combined sewers of Milwaukee,the downspouts and drain tile and sewer all combined into one sewer without the whole house trap a gutter or downspout near a open window would smell very bad on a warm summer day,,,,,,pee,,,,,uuuu,,,,,,,,I clean right threw them with k-60 and root cutter,,,may have to forward or reverse a couple times to get threw.

Comment

Whole house traps are required by our sewer authority company. Most are cast iron now, 4". Some older ones are clay. A k-1500 will go through them with no problems unless they are severely compromised.
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                        X