X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when 1 plumber with a k50 beats 5 with a jetter

Had a call today with a plugged kitchen sink on the second floor. Runs approx. 40' before it connects to a common 3" main.

Began yesterday when the customer calls out the so called plumbing company to clear the slow sink drain. At the time it was slow. By the time they finished it was 100% plugged up.

So they showed up with 2 guys and 3 hours later they're still fighting the drain stoppage from the sink and the roof. They tried snaking from the sink and ended up with the cable on the roof. They called thier shop for help. 2 more guys and 2 more hours, out comes the 5th guy with a jetter. Now a complete mess and the owner was pissed with the black mess. They claim the 2" line needs to be replaced. She runs them off without payment.

She called me last night to explain. I knew I could easily clear it from the 1.5" roof vent with my k-50. So this morning I go on the roof with my spool of cable and rick reverse auger. Power my way through the galvanized durham 1963 line. Owner calls me to tell me the water went down in the sink. I have her run hot and check for good heat transfer in the garage 3" main. I run a second time with the water flowing with a straight auger. 56' later from the roof vent I clean up. Collect my check and have a nice friendly conversation with the owner who's an academy member director. She's not a fan of reality shows, but she's interested in a plumbing reality show now

Not bad 1 man 1 hour and a k-50. Versus a crew of 5 and 15 man hours with a snake and jetter.

I hope she was filming

Rick.

Ben, adam, you know the job.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-06-2013, 11:11 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: when 1 plumber with a k50 beats 5 with a jetter

i love my k50 with a broken wiggly jiggly cable.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Agree 100% that the K50 is the best drain machine there is on small lines. Imagine where we'd be if Mark didn't introduce you to sectionals? Still be screwing around with drums probably.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rick, was this someone you have done work for in the past or was this a new customer? Any idea why she decided to call the other guy before you?

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
          Rick, was this someone you have done work for in the past or was this a new customer? Any idea why she decided to call the other guy before you?

good question. yes, i've worked for the complex for several years. this last year they got an unknown company in for their yearly cleaning of a 34 unit sewer mains and 6 common mains. that was back in november and they've already had 2 units backup and others are already complaining of issues.

each year they elect a new board and last year the guy on the board was looking for the cheapest price and he found it. my best contact there was actually pissed they went with another co. he even told me that they broke their machine in his unit and he had to fix it for them as he's an auto mechanic with skills. i just had to resnake his main this week full of roots too.

the kitchen stoppage has nothing to do with the yearly cleaning. but the homeowner used them as it was her last person of contact. wait til i post her email to me today.

rick.

Hi Rick,

I can't thank you enough for saving me the pipe - again! I fully appreciate your level of expertise in such a complicated matter that looks so easy when you do it. People don't understand it until they witness what I did.

Please email me the quote for a water heater and installation. I would appreciate the exact model you think you would install in my house, I'd like to read about it: I'd prefer the tank "Tier II ENERGY STARĀ® – must have an Energy Factor (EF) of .67 or above".

Also, what tankless water heater would be best for my place and would it be better than the storage tank water heater?

Thank you again!

Yelena *********
          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm sure I can guess Rick's answer to the last question

Comment

i'm sure he'll recommend she buy a cheapie 80% tankless off ebay for $25.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I predict he will tell her to stay away from tankless and go with a tank

Comment

Next to impossible to even think tankless as the heater is 2 floors above the garage and the gas meter is outside at garage level.

Keep in mind the exisiting tank heater is a 50 gallon 15+ year old heater that's never been serviced. Who in their right mind would sell them a tankless

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

i think the k50 has made me the easiest money I have made. Easy to use and clears most kitchen stopages with one pass.

I think its like going to a persons house and having a friendly conversation with them between sections of cable. then picking up a check on the way out.

If only I could figure out how to do enough kitchen drains so I wouldnt have to do anything else

Comment

Kitchen drains are the nastiest fixtures to snake. Especially when there is no cleanout and you have to drop the trap. The roof vent allowed me to snake from the top while the sink still had water and allowed me to know when the stoppage cleared. No mess and no cleanup.

Of course the majority of kitchens I see have a way snaking without dropping the trap. The ones that don't are not as fun.

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        Kitchen drains are the nastiest fixtures to snake. Especially when there is no cleanout and you have to drop the trap. The roof vent allowed me to snake from the top while the sink still had water and allowed me to know when the stoppage cleared. No mess and no cleanup.

Of course the majority of kitchens I see have a way snaking without dropping the trap. The ones that don't are not as fun.

Rick.
                        Sorry man, thought I shared this one with you. This goes on the tubular, hose goes in the drain, run water while snaking. Gotta cut the hose at a steep angle so it pushes easily in the drain. You can either put a 45 on the drain or just let the extra water dribble out in a pan. Cable comes back nice and clean.
                        Attached Files
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I must say I'm intrigued. The company I just signed on with is okay with roof work. I think I'm going to start collecting some sectional goodies to play with.

Comment

Good job again Rick, If she did film the work you did she should send it to the other co and say this is how you do it
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              Next to impossible to even think tank less as the heater is 2 floors above the garage and the gas meter is outside at garage level.

Keep in mind the existing tank heater is a 50 gallon 15+ year old heater that's never been serviced. Who in their right mind would sell them a tankless:confused old:

Rick.
                              This is one of the things that give Tankless water heaters a bad name,
                              people or plumbers not taking into account the local conditions and not realizing that tankless is not always the right heater to install and leads to complaints
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X