Ficus roots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ficus roots

had a difficult 6'' root stoppage 26'-32' out from a 4'' cleanout. last snaked 54 weeks ago. so i already had a track record and notes.

back in may 2009 i had camered and jetted the line. it lasted to june 11 2012. then i snaked it on an emergency basis and recommended to hydrojet. of course they didn't call to sch. the jetting and yesterday i get the emergency call with a plugged sewer. fought it for 1.5 hours and was lucky to get a 4'' sharktooth and my double 4'' root saw through the heavy ficus roots.

the 4'' c/o next to the sidewalk was installed in 2009 by the original plumber, so it was only a 32' run to the city saddle. but the line is 6'' for the last 26'. that's why a jetter is advantageous. no fighting the cable and torque. no worries about cleaning 6'' pipe from a 4'' c/o. so 1.5 hours of playing fisherman and landing my catch, i recommended to jet the pipe. this time they are listening after watching me struggle for 1.5 hours.

the entire street parkway is mature 1940's city ficus trees. replacing the 32' of clay in the street, is pushing $10,000 with permits, slurry and asphalt repairs by licensed sewer contractors. jetting and hopefully getting another 3 years like last time is $370. so what makes more sense

rick.

large ficus ball. 4'' cleanout 6'' lateral with solid roots from 26'-32' out. that's a 10'' yard box cover. 1.25'' sectional with innercore running a timberwolf drill with ridgid 4'' sharktooth pear cutters, followed by 4'' spiral dual root saw. rootranger would have destroyed this, but need to penetrate the mass first with a cutter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Ficus roots

Wow, God bless the City Fathers that voted the Ficus's in ! Those WW2 Guys ,Just keep on giving !!!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Since it's a small section that's bad, would patch lining help out?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I can never really comment on a line until it is jetted then I can see what the real story is. I always tell customers that the jetting doesn't fix anything but can buy them more time to budget for a repair, but when I am done we may see things that the roots where covering that we don't want to see.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

until i jet the line and clean it out, pipe patch is a wait and see. if it's a bad saddle, then no. if it's just the last couple of joints, then it's possible.

i might be jetting in 2 days? not sure yet.

but the jetter will clean everything left behind from the snake.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

ficus, mahogany, rubber, tan tan (think mesquite), ginger thomas, mango, flamboyant ... gotta love trees that keep us in business!!
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

We aint gots no Ficus roots here to freaking cold lol
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
              X