Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: so what do you think ?

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
    well, my little $6,000.00 Color Compact rolls out and I do get paid for it. it's not just an extra fee. now if they want a recording then there is an additional charge for that.

one of the nice things about being a large fish in a small pond, AND having one of the only two working camera on island, is that folks know me, know of me, and refer me to their friends and family. my only real competition has a huge 325' or so camera and they do charge an arm & leg for it. it does sit idle most of the time. they also do a lot of government contracts so I guess the camera has its place for them.

the peace of mind and knowledge that I (and the client gets) from knowing the problem was rectified (or knowing where further issues are) far outweighs any $ compensation. plus I only had 2 call backs last year and so far none this year.

Listen to machine & feel the cable, they are your friends and will tell you many things.

2 call backs in one year ? Maybe good maybe bad depends on how many jobs you did.

I never use my camera unless the customer is going to pay for it or if it's to satisfy my own curiosity.

I do over 1,000 drains per year and I sometimes go months without a callback. My callbacks are around 1.5% (90 day warranty). Nothing pizzes me off more than having to go back and do the job again for free so I spend the extra time doing it right the first time

Comment

Originally posted by asstyme View Post
      listen to machine & feel the cable, they are your friends and will tell you many things.

2 call backs in one year ? Maybe good maybe bad depends on how many jobs you did.

I never use my camera unless the customer is going to pay for it or if it's to satisfy my own curiosity.

I do over 1,000 drains per year and i sometimes go months without a callback. My callbacks are around 1.5% (90 day warranty). Nothing pizzes me off more than having to go back and do the job again for free so i spend the extra time doing it right the first time
      thats the way i always did mine !
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
        thats the way i always did mine !

I have only used my Model C around 10 times since I bought it 2 years ago and not once in over a year. Not much feel for what the cable is doing. It's not going in my new van I'll probably end up selling it.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          ...... Nothing pizzes me off more than having to go back and do the job again for free so I spend the extra time doing it right the first time
          I treat call backs as an opportunity to cement a new customer. I put more emphasis on responding ASAP to their call as a new or regular paying job. Nothing makes a customer more happy then being johnny on the spot when the product or service you are selling fails. And in this day customer service is king.
          So call backs don't freak me out. Also I don't always make it a big deal to make sure all is awesome on some drain jobs if more money being charged is needed. If it backs up again,,, whoosh I'm back to try plan b. Thanks for letting me share.

Comment

Years ago ,I would have voted this as "Thread of the week " I believe this begs a thread of "When to camera "

Anybody agree ?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I had a main sewer rod that turned to be a bear of a job. Guy had another plumber out a few months ago, and the guy tried to sell him a new sewer or a liner (nice to give options). I ran the 2" blade through the 4" clean out in the flower bed. Lined opened up around 30' out hit a few roots here and there. Ran the 4" blade in cleared some roots at a few spots, and ran the rod to the village sewer which is about 50' from the clean out in the middle of the parkway. While rolling the rod back up it got hung up bad. I thought I might of got tangled up with someone's cable that may of been broken in the line, or left the pipe. So out comes my See Snake with the CS1000 monitor. I ran it through and the line was spotless except for a little straggler root here and there. Got the camera up to the blade holder, and saw the blade caught in a joint with the blades touch each side of the pipe. I was thinking holy cow, did they lay 4" clay but what it turned out to be was the cutter was spread out that much and getting hung up in the joints. So now I know what I am up against. I started to build up some amazing torque with the K750 in forward and carefully in reverse (In reverse the cable in the drum will make troubles) till the blades finally broke away.

Now on this job, I did not charge for the camera, I used it as a tool to help me determine what was going on with my cutter and cable. This way I don't waste mine or my customers time. If I had seen a broken line, or something unusual, I would of showed that to the customer, explain to them their options and give them a price. Granted I did not see what caused my cutter such distress, I can only figure the root ball I cut out was a tough bugger, and the torque of the K750 just dealt with it so quickly that it mangled the blade. We did notice his line was flawless, just the occasional joints with a little root intrusion. Nothing that warranted a sewer replacement or lining.

Moral of this story, there is a right time to use the camera just as you would use a flashlight, and not charge for it. Now if he had called me when the sewer was open, and asked me to televise the line to see the condition of it, there would of been a camera charge.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                I have only used my Model C around 10 times since I bought it 2 years ago and not once in over a year. Not much feel for what the cable is doing. It's not going in my new van I'll probably end up selling it.
                I can do the same with my Model C(feel or just plain know whats going on) based of how the cable acts, moves and pulls, and by listening to the motor. Maybe I have Spider scenes, but I know whats going on when using the Model C. Then again I got way more than 10 calls on my belt with the Model C.
                Will Rogers Plumbing
                Moore, Oklahoma
                (
                405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                  I can do the same with my Model C(feel or just plain know whats going on) based of how the cable acts, moves and pulls, and by listening to the motor. Maybe I have Spider scenes, but I know whats going on when using the Model C. Then again I got way more than 10 calls on my belt with the Model C.

Why unload a 500rpm 75lb Model C from the van when I can grab my 12lb 650rpm drill ? It's more mobile, weighs less, spins faster, costs less, easily handles waist high & above cleanouts, and I get way better feel for what's going on.

I'm just sayin'...........
                  Last edited by AssTyme; 07-19-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X