X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-380 with 5" straight auger

Say what you will but I found a great use for the 5" straight auger. Can't remember the catalog number. It is the one with the 45° hand poker at the end .

Anyway, I have a 380 that I picked up on the fly when I first got my truck. I have not used it since I bought my big boy toys. I have been getting these jobs where a cleaning brush used to clean the pipes for floor drains break off the end of the broom handle like stick. Everything I tried didn't work or it tore up the heads. Well I went with the 380 because it is slow and weak. I bought the straight auger hoping to get wedged in between the pipe wall and the brush. Well it did great! My 2-3 hour fight turned into a 10 second victory. Literally 10 seconds once I stuck it on the drain.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: K-380 with 5" straight auger

Want some extra ones?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Want some extra ones?
      Extra what and how much?
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
        Say what you will but I found a great use for the 5" straight auger. Can't remember the catalog number. It is the one with the 45° hand poker at the end .

Anyway, I have a 380 that I picked up on the fly when I first got my truck. I have not used it since I bought my big boy toys. I have been getting these jobs where a cleaning brush used to clean the pipes for floor drains break off the end of the broom handle like stick. Everything I tried didn't work or it tore up the heads. Well I went with the 380 because it is slow and weak. I bought the straight auger hoping to get wedged in between the pipe wall and the brush. Well it did great! My 2-3 hour fight turned into a 10 second victory. Literally 10 seconds once I stuck it on the drain.

What is this brush you speak of ? A K-380 is a hack machine, a 3800 or Spartan 100 would accomplish the same thing no ???

What is the part # on the auger ?

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          What is this brush you speak of ? A K-380 is a hack machine, a 3800 or Spartan 100 would accomplish the same thing no ???

What is the part # on the auger ?
          I think it is a 101 or a 201. I will look tomorrow and make sure. Yeah, the 380 isn't much good for a lot of things but it saved the day on this one. I have better machines now. The brush is nothing more than a synthetic bristle brush just meant to get the pipe from the floor to the p-trap to keep it clean and keep it from smelling. I bought the 380 from a friend to catch a few odd calls until I could buy better machines. I was not sure at the time if I would get into drain cleaning. The only thing that I have from Spartan is the 1065 and I will never buy anything else Spartan again. I do not do many drain calls on pipe less than 3" so I decided to get a K-38 (used), K-50 (used), K-60, K-40 and a little electric jetter. The Model N is next if the residential drain calls keep coming. I like having options. The 100, if I had it, spins a little too fast and I would be afraid of breaking the auger or kinking the cable. I just need it to go slow and steady to tangle into the bristles enough to pull that bad boy out and still be able to use the retriever again.

I didn't try the straight auger because of the poor reviews by many here. Truth of the matter is that I either couldn't snag it with the other machines or I was destroying the retrievers because they grabbed too much of the brush. I was throwing the brush and the retrievers away every job.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

...........This just barley fit in the 3" drain as you see it.

Last edited by Gettinit; 07-21-2013, 12:20 AM.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

since you have a k-50, it's the machine that I would use for many reasons.

#1 - you have 100% control of the cable spin due to the instant clutch. you can throttle it and stop it in a split second.

#2, you don't need to buy an auger head. just the rick reverse auger and you'll catch everything you come across.

#3 the 5/8'' open wind cable will outperform any cable size for size. it will easily pass through a 2'' trap and keep on going.

#4 a k-50 is a professional machine. a 380 is basically a homeowner machine.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I am not one to say that the 380 or the 400 is a professionals machine by any stretch of the imagination and I have not spoken highly of them at all. But this one job went so well I had to say something nice about it. Fair is fair I suppose.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

I am not one to say that the 380 or the 400 is a professionals machine by any stretch of the imagination and I have not spoken highly of them at all. But this one job went so well I had to say something nice about it. Fair is fair I suppose.

Now why don't you say something nice about Spartan machines

Comment

Now why don't you say something nice about Spartan machines

I have and do. It is the support and pricing that blows. If I were to buy another machine I would by just the machine and go eel for the cable and tools. I love my 1065. It is my go to machine for main lines that do not require two people. I sometimes wonder if I .should have gotten the eel like yours but when I am walking through a busy Store I am happy with what I have.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

I have and do. It is the support and pricing that blows. If I were to buy another machine I would by just the machine and go eel for the cable and tools. I love my 1065. It is my go to machine for main lines that do not require two people. I sometimes wonder if I .should have gotten the eel like yours but when I am walking through a busy Store I am happy with what I have.

Premium machines carry a premium price tag.

Which type of main lines are requiring two people ? I'm thinking about selling my Model C I haven't used it in over a year.

Comment

Premium machines carry a premium price tag.

Which type of main lines are requiring two people ? I'm thinking about selling my Model C I haven't used it in over a year.
                        Anything on a roof. There are some I do from roofs because it is safe enough and the sewer is 12' to 15' deep. Until I say that the sewer cannot be opened they are not replacing or digging. Some basements are too steep for me as well. I couldn't see getting rid of the Model C. What would you do when the call came in? With my luck it would be right after it left my hands at the UPS counter.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Anything on a roof. There are some I do from roofs because it is safe enough and the sewer is 12' to 15' deep. Until I say that the sewer cannot be opened they are not replacing or digging. Some basements are too steep for me as well. I couldn't see getting rid of the Model C. What would you do when the call came in? With my luck it would be right after it left my hands at the UPS counter.

Why unload a 500rpm 75lb Model C from the van when I can grab my 12lb 650rpm drill ? It's more mobile, weighs less, spins faster, costs less, easily handles waist high & above cleanouts, and I get way better feel for what's going on.

I'm just sayin'...........

Comment

Working...
                          X