Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cement septic tank/ water softener compatability

Originally posted by Blash1 View Post
    Believe what you will.
    My observations are that the tank lid and wall were severely decomposed. The residual material that remained intact was encrusted with a white crystaline salty looking residue.
    The concrete baffle was eaten right through.
    Our soil is clay and tends to be fairly alkaline which should be non-detrimental to concrete. Fact is there wasnt any evidence of attack on the outside of the tank. It was all on the inside.
    The sewage pumpers that turned out were quick to ask if a softener was involved when they saw the damage.
    I vote for salt influenced concrete degradation.
    Thanks. I will pay closer attention and try to see if there is any higher degree of decomposition when a softener is involved.

But experience to this point is inconclusive for me.

J.C.

Comment

I would like to vote we delay making any decisions on this subject and wait SIX MORE YEARS and discuss it again.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Salt "eating" concrete is a misconception.

In cold areas they say to use calcium, not salt on concrete because of the freeze thaw cycles. A concrete walk way with salt or calcium will still freeze if the temps are low enough, but it will freeze and thaw (that is what causes the destruction) a lot more often with salt.

H2S mixing with a certain bacteria (name eludes me right now) produces sulfuric acid and that is what reduces the life of a septic tank.
        The bacteria can only live in a low PH environment. You should check the PH in the tank. It should be above 4 in order to combat the bacteria.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thiobacillus is the name of the bacteria.

And I stand corrected on the PH level. It's the surface of the cement that should be tested and it should be above 9. Ideal is between 11-12.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

What I understand is the salt makes the tank unsettled. In other words it won't have three distinct layers as the salt will cause the sludge to buoy into the clearzone. When this happens the sludge will carry out into the drainfield causing premature failure.

Tank degredation is usually caused by the system not venting properly keeping the acidic atmosphere in the tank.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
            X