X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average jetting time

For you guys with the 18 gpm 4000 psi trailers. What is the average time it takes you to clear a 4" sewer with tree roots in it. For me with my Big Brute it is averaging around I'd say 90 minutes to 2 hours from setting up, filling the water tank, inspecting the drain and rolling everything up. I'm trying to decide if I'd be faster if I had a bigger jetter. I think I read on here Plungerman is upgrading to a mongoose because of this reason. Could I be faster with a bigger jetter with 1/2" hose?

Re: Average jetting time

how many root infiltrations and distance we talking about? I'm at about 2 hours with my little cart jetter and that includes inspecting as well. My average run is about 100' and 4-10 root infiltrations. You talking about 9 gpm 4000 psi big brute? Man I hate to say but you gotta be doing something that needs to be improved....there's no way my 4gpm 3500 psi jetter can go at the same speed as you. What kind of nozzle you running? Hose size? What's your method for inspection while jetting?
    Last edited by gear junkie; 08-27-2013, 11:09 PM.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Setting out what is done is important to answer this, some guys just run the jetter out and when the clog goes away they continue a little further and pull back slow to the beginning. Collect the pay and go. Time? 20 min. -45.
      I go down the line to the sewer stub slow then pop my camera in and pull back to every spot that there are roots (or anything) and when done the pipe is clean not just functioning. Time usually 1-2 hours specs 4 - 4.5 k pressure How long of line matters as does the access point. This is for a root job.
      Grease is a different animal thats when the psi is not the big deal it's the GPM that flush it all away. Time is too hard to say it is different everytime. This applies to mud filled lines as well.
      Last edited by Cuda; 08-28-2013, 12:05 AM.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I'm talking completely clearing all visible tree roots from pipe to prepare for lining, not just getting it flowing. Warthog nozzle. Average length maybe 75' roots infiltrating 5-7 joints in 4" clay pipe. Cleanout access. Cuda, is that 18 gpm? Thanks
        Last edited by Sierra2000; 08-28-2013, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra2000 View Post
          I'm talking completely clearing all visible tree roots from pipe to prepare for lining, not just getting it flowing. Warthog nozzle. Average length maybe 75' roots infiltrating 5-7 joints in 4" clay pipe. Cleanout access. Cuda, is that 18 gpm? Thanks
          Yup...I'm talking about the same thing with my cart jetter. Cleaned down to the pipe. Try a root ranger. Each joint takes 30 secs to 2 min.
          Last edited by gear junkie; 08-28-2013, 12:34 AM.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I use the warthog on lines I have never been in at first the egg shape never gets stuck , the warthog because it spins means less work for me no flipping it around 180. But if I am not getting some big root or clump of roots out then I go in with the root ranger 1/2" and it makes quick work of them. So I switch back and forth as needed. And my jetter is a SECA 25 gpm. 4k psi but I have a lot of different tips and I have one warthog made up that does 4500 psi and I actually use it a lot.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Jetting is the simple part. Set up, tear down, rollup camera ect, is what takes time.

If I already have a video with footage marks, it's simple to duplicate the roots intrusions.

But add in the time to camera before and after, and pack it all in , and 2 hours is not looking bad.

I have 2 projects tomorrow with a track record. Need to do all the pool area drains, and 3 sewer cleanouts.

130' sewer main plus a 45' branch line, along with 5 pool area drains. 2 hours is right on the button. But I do this project annually, or in this case, 14 months ago. Its the stretching out all the hose from the street to the rear yard. A good 300' total.

The other is a 45' rear yard branch line and a 70' main. Still stretching out and packing up is just over 1 hour.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

There are to many variables to give you a good answer, this I'm sure off.
                With my 6gpm I was able to do a good job on most lines. If not to hard it was still about 2 hrs with a camera peek. But for me I just ran into to many major root intrusion jobs. And to many problems 125 feet plus out. And I noticed the competent plumbers who called me only did if it was ridiculously difficult. So I couldn't do that sha zam booya blast clear luckily split see ya wouldn't want to be ya Hydro annihilation spectacle. I've spent 3 hrs plus, 5hrs plus on one, 140 feet flat and packed with roots. and I don't believe for one second that could have been done in 2 hrs with 6gpm. But with 18 gpm, and a fully remote set up 2ish sounds more accurate.
                I'm not satisfied with 6gpm, I don't want to mess trying to manipulate a root ranger by twisting the hose to hit spots. 2 turns w a drop with the root intrusion at the wrong spot and the root ranger ain't gonna touch it. I like the thought of 3 root rangers gyrating to clear, IOW a warthog.
                I like what the jetter salesman for us jett said, buy what you can and grow into in then getting what you think will get you buy.
                Though this forum and the Internet is a great research tool, you can't believe everything you read as gospel. I was in a way disappointed with what I thought I was going to get with 6gpm. But this could be because of some very very hard jobs and I don't have a fair or comparable experience.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  how many root infiltrations and distance we talking about? I'm at about 2 hours with my little cart jetter and that includes inspecting as well. My average run is about 100' and 4-10 root infiltrations. You talking about 9 gpm 4000 psi big brute? Man I hate to say but you gotta be doing something that needs to be improved....there's no way my 4gpm 3500 psi jetter can go at the same speed as you. What kind of nozzle you running? Hose size? What's your method for inspection while jetting?
                  You must tie the camera to the jetter to get that time with 5 psi, yeah? I run my camera to the end, send the jetter to the end, mark the hose with tape, pull the camera out, warthog nozzle, pull back slowly, run to end again, pull back again, camera the line to see what I missed and switch to root ranger to clear what I missed with warthog. Thumbs up if you can do that including setup and roll up in less than two hours with your specs. I've got a 70' tomorrow Ill time it from start to finish.
                  Last edited by Sierra2000; 08-28-2013, 01:27 AM.

Comment

My technique is close but might save you some time. This is for a blind cleaning...never been there before and the assumption I can go through every root ball. Go out to city tie in with camera....find the furthest spot to clean. Let say it's at 80'....I'll then push the camera to 85'. I'll send the root ranger in out to about 82' but keep my eye on the video feed the whole time. Once the ranger passes the root ball, the camera comes back at around the 79' mark.....I'll pull back the ranger until it's about 6" away from the joint. Hold the hose in one hand and push the camera forward a few feet....maybe to the 85'. Start jetting.....do a few flips....listen for clear pipe. Stop jetting and pull camera back to inspect and continue the process to the next one.

I really don't see much grease.....if the average time is 2 hours anyway.....maybe I should just keep rolling with my small jetter. The root ranger is the only reason I'm able to achieve the results I get with my jetter. Give one a shot. Here's a vid that Bill did that really shows how much better it is then the warthog for pure cutting action. video not showing up....go to youtube and the title is Root Ranger Nozzle Clearing Tree Roots from a Drain in Australia
                    Last edited by gear junkie; 08-28-2013, 02:08 AM.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We use 5000psi 5gpm Jetters with nothing but a penetrating head and the Root Ranger nozzle. We are in and out in 20-40min - no camera. We have 120m of 1/4" hose on the main supply hose and 60m of 3/16" hose on the remote mini reel. Our truck are set up for high efficiency on the job.

I designed a new nozzle called the LaserJet nozzle and its great. The first batch are being hardened and should be ready in a couple of weeks. Here is a short video of the prototype http://youtu.be/4dJDAFGSzjk

We are also building the first ten 'Spinna' nozzles next week. The prototype works well! They are small and have controlled rotation. There is a short video on our web site home page.
                      Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Bill, I knew you must have been tinkering in the shop as we've not seen you here in months.

Welcome back.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X