Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a gorlitz is no match for my timberwolf

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
    DO NOT use a Timberwolf drill to do this as the torque build-up can actually injure you especially if you are not experienced with this technique.

The drill to use is the Dewalt DWD460K Here is the link: http://www.dewalt.com/tools/drills-1...s-dwd460k.aspx

It is a better drill all the way around and will help keep you from getting hurt:-)

Baaaahhh.... if you're that green/unskilled you shouldn't try it at all. Not everyone is cut to do a certain profession.......
    Last edited by AssTyme; 09-05-2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

truthfully, a drill is a buyer/ user beware tool. everyone doing drain cleaning with a drill takes a risk.

but like anything else, with hands on experience, you reduce that risk.

I prefer the longer drill of the timberwolf as it fits in my arms and against my body and gives me more leverage than a more compact drill.

my clutch has never engaged on the timberwolf. even when I torque the cable up to make the drill spin backwards at super high speed.

300 rpms gives me lots of time to react to the cable bind and torque. I use torque to my advantage. I also use 4' sections when the going gets tough. 10' of free unrestrained cable is asking for a headache. 4' when needed is the torque monster.

once again, of all the drills I've tried, the timberwolf fits me the best. I guess I could try out my 20 amp coring drills, or gas coring drill. but power is not the factor. the drill has plenty of it. it's feeling and watching the torque of the cables. more cables, more time to react and allow the torque to build up. less cable, less time.

live and learn or die trying. it's not for the faint of heart.

but then again, most equipment not designed for the task is do it at your own risk.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        truthfully, a drill is a buyer/ user beware tool. everyone doing drain cleaning with a drill takes a risk.

but like anything else, with hands on experience, you reduce that risk.

I prefer the longer drill of the timberwolf as it fits in my arms and against my body and gives me more leverage than a more compact drill.

my clutch has never engaged on the timberwolf. even when I torque the cable up to make the drill spin backwards at super high speed.

300 rpms gives me lots of time to react to the cable bind and torque. I use torque to my advantage. I also use 4' sections when the going gets tough. 10' of free unrestrained cable is asking for a headache. 4' when needed is the torque monster.

once again, of all the drills I've tried, the timberwolf fits me the best. I guess I could try out my 20 amp coring drills, or gas coring drill. but power is not the factor. the drill has plenty of it. it's feeling and watching the torque of the cables. more cables, more time to react and allow the torque to build up. less cable, less time.

live and learn or die trying. it's not for the faint of heart.

but then again, most equipment not designed for the task is do it at your own risk.

rick.
        I've lived on the Timberwolf roughing in but still haven't made a drain setup with it. The drill strikes little fear in me other than the respect a power tool such as this deserves. What does give me apprehension is having 4' of cable out of a drain really torqued up with the potential to twist in a knot at the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
          I've lived on the Timberwolf roughing in but still haven't made a drain setup with it. The drill strikes little fear in me other than the respect a power tool such as this deserves. What does give me apprehension is having 4' of cable out of a drain really torqued up with the potential to twist in a knot at the blink of an eye.
          4' is nothing. Try 10' or 20' outside the pipe at a time. Of course thats when feel and experiance comes into play.

But that 4' section is like a garage door spring. Keep it straight and it will drill through anything.

Like anything else, the more you play, the better you get.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            DO NOT use a Timberwolf drill to do this as the torque build-up can actually injure you especially if you are not experienced with this technique.

The drill to use is the Dewalt DWD460K Here is the link: http://www.dewalt.com/tools/drills-1...s-dwd460k.aspx

It is a better drill all the way around and will help keep you from getting hurt:-)

You are aware that the DW124 has a clutch in low speed right?
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
              You are aware that the DW124 has a clutch in low speed right?

Yes and before it does any good it's going to be too late.

Comment

The clutch is useless in drain cleaning as it has never engauged when I torque my cables up. And I do torque them up to the point of serious power.

Remember that this drill was designed to drill a 4 5/8"" hole in studs with a self feed bit and turn it into sawdust and shavings. If the clutch slipped, you'll never drill the hole. Even a nail might or might not engauge it.

The only protection the timberwolf has in drain cleaning is the experience and reaction time of the user.

If it scares you, it should. Were not talking about a k40 with 5/16" cable. Were talking 1.25" cable that will break bones if you're not paying attention or have experiance.

The clutch setting on my general 88 is set much lighter than a timberwolf. Ive actually had to tighten it down on jobs. I believe the eel c is pretty much identical to the general 82, 88.

Remember these machines allow the operator to be far enough away from the cable for safety. With a drill, the cable is in your hands, face.

Im sure when the drain cleaning companies read all our post about drills and drain cleaning, their blood pressure goes up. They know 1 day, someones going to get seriously hurt or killed using the drill method. Why do you think they dont sell a drill cable package.

Its not safe and they know it and I know it. But its a risk I take and ive been bonked before.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

this thread reminds me of my grandfathers old 1/2 inch sears heavy duty drill
                  that old thing was heavy slow and would easily break an arm or leg if it hung up on you.
                  it was easily classed as a 2 man drill
                  i actually saw it throw my neighbor to the ground once and he weighed 310 at the time
                  (not very fat but just a big man )
                  shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                    this thread reminds me of my grandfathers old 1/2 inch sears heavy duty drill
                    that old thing was heavy slow and would easily break an arm or leg if it hung up on you.
                    it was easily classed as a 2 man drill
                    i actually saw it throw my neighbor to the ground once and he weighed 310 at the time
                    (not very fat but just a big man )

Like Rick said, the more cable you have behind the drill the more time you have to react.

Comment

The Drill and Eel set up is about 1/10th as dangerous as a drum machine.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                        The Drill and Eel set up is about 1/10th as dangerous as a drum machine.

lol, Only if your running it in reverse with no power feed locked down on the cable.

My 300 if way safer & less physical than running the drill/Eel.

Comment

Nice CS6 in the pictures Rick

I have the old Black and Decker Timberwolf that I use with the Eel Heavy Duty cables (5/8" innercore) and it kicks major amounts of butt. I actually have not had to use it recently as I still find my Rothenberger R750 with the General 7/8" IC cable to be a great combo of speed, power and lighter weight in lines up to 6".

Assy, the electric eel is not built for speed like the ridgid style sectionals. It's advantage is that it takes the torque to rip (like a drum) but spins slightly faster. High speed with the drill/eel is a recipe for disaster IMO. Nice and easy, rip those things out and then MAYBE run higher speed with a finishing cutter (like a C-cutter or expanding cutter). 300 RPM is double the output of a drum. Plenty for cutting.

Comment

I'm not going to say what is safe but I will say my drum machine is flat out dangerous. other drum machines and other means of cleaning drains have seemed safer so far. Take that for what it's worth

Comment

[QUOTE=Swade Plumbing;404670]Nice CS6 in the pictures Rick QUOTE]

I wish. It's a dvd pak and all you see is the monitor of the dvd pak.

Until this week when the cs6 was posted, I didn't know about it.

Rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                                Nice CS6 in the pictures Rick

I have the old Black and Decker Timberwolf that I use with the Eel Heavy Duty cables (5/8" innercore) and it kicks major amounts of butt. I actually have not had to use it recently as I still find my Rothenberger R750 with the General 7/8" IC cable to be a great combo of speed, power and lighter weight in lines up to 6".

Assy, the electric eel is not built for speed like the ridgid style sectionals. It's advantage is that it takes the torque to rip (like a drum) but spins slightly faster. High speed with the drill/eel is a recipe for disaster IMO. Nice and easy, rip those things out and then MAYBE run higher speed with a finishing cutter (like a C-cutter or expanding cutter). 300 RPM is double the output of a drum. Plenty for cutting.

I disagree, I've used 3 different drills, 300rpm DW124, 450rpm 1660-6 & 600rpm DS4011. I sold the Dewalt and I'm using the Milwaukee as a backup.

My Spartan 300 spins @ 300rpm and my Spartan 100 @ 290rpm.

Yes there is a difference in the way the Model C and 1500 were designed to operate but IMO keeping the bit spinning is much more important running sectional cable, speed is king.
                                Last edited by AssTyme; 09-06-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X