X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a gorlitz is no match for my timberwolf

So how do you feed the cable back into the machine? Do you have to climb back down? Sometimes I run into spots where the vent isn't by the edge. Do you get into those situations and does your ladder technique still work for those?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The very few times I clean a sewer from the vent, I will put the cable in a 2" pipe sleeve .
      I run the machine , my son works the cable down the vent

Comment

Back when I rodded from the roof, we keep the Spartan 1065 / Ridgid K-750 on the ground, with an operator on the ground and one guy on the roof. Used hand roof guy uses hand signals to either have more cable fed to him or the cable rolled back up, and a signal to stop the machine.

One time I was the ground guy when my brother was on the roof. He gave me the signal for more cable, and as I gave him a few feet, the rod hit a tight blockage, I didn't react fast enough to get the slack out of the line as he pulled up on the cable out of the vent stack to break it free. The cable twisted up near the ground to form a big loop and it hit me in the inner thigh, which lifted me a couple feet of the ground and thrown me to the other side of the machine. My brother just jumped off the roof to my aid. I was startled and had a massive bruise on my thigh.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I feed manually from roof, pull from machine, push down vent.
          I have have a come along stuck down the vent for when it time to bring it back. I go back down and set the feeder to retrieve. Go back on roof and plug my cords back together.
          Then sit on roof and admire another sunny day here in sunny so Ca. While keeping an one eye on the cable of course.

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
            I feed manually from roof, pull from machine, push down vent.
            I have have a come along stuck down the vent for when it time to bring it back. I go back down and set the feeder to retrieve. Go back on roof and plug my cords back together.
            Then sit on roof and admire another sunny day here in sunny so Ca. While keeping an one eye on the cable of course.
            I have done this on hundreds of vents and main lines, I used a Spartan electric foot pedal and two extra extension cords one from the house and one from the back of the machine up on the roof for the pedal, climb down to confirm main line blockade had cleared then set the power feed in reverse go back up on roof pull out the cable and let power feed pull back into drum even walk down the ladder with the machine still pulling the cable into machine
            Last edited by JERRYMAC; 09-10-2013, 10:16 AM.
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Using a drum or sled machine from the ground seems kinda ridiculous. I will pull the toilet before going on the roof any day. I reset toilets almost every day. what's the big deal?

Comment

This is where my k60 shines. My 90' cage of 7/8" cable is sitting over a vent line to keep it from moving off the roof.

The low profile k60 sits nicely on a pitched roof too.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  This is where my k60 shines. My 90' cage of 7/8" cable is sitting over a vent line to keep it from moving off the roof.

The low profile k60 sits nicely on a pitched roof too.

Rick.
                  Dosn't your k60 always shine?

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                    Using a drum or sled machine from the ground seems kinda ridiculous. I will pull the toilet before going on the roof any day. I reset toilets almost every day. what's the big deal?
                    It's what we know I guess that counts. I'd rather go on roof and deal with drama than 2 extra tight turns and a mess inside the bathroom.
                    It's harder to feel roots through a toilet flange then on roof. Plus if you have a soft blockage and want extra help with a full bathtub then your out of luck.
                    To me it sounds kinda ridiculous to not go on roof when comparing to toilet pulling.

Comment

It's what we know I guess that counts. I'd rather go on roof and deal with drama than 2 extra tight turns and a mess inside the bathroom.
                      It's harder to feel roots through a toilet flange then on roof. Plus if you have a soft blockage and want extra help with a full bathtub then your out of luck.
                      To me it sounds kinda ridiculous to not go on roof when comparing to toilet pulling.

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                        No drama, no mess, no problems with soft blockages for me. I'm assuming you are all slab houses and mostly one story. Here is mostly 2 story and most roofs are pitched 30 degrees or more.

I have used my K60 on roofs before on soft blockages or branch blockages.

Comment

No drama, no mess, no problems with soft blockages for me. I'm assuming you are all slab houses and mostly one story. Here is mostly 2 story and most roofs are pitched 30 degrees or more.

I have used my K60 on roofs before on soft blockages or branch blockages.
                          Mostly one story, raised foundation, easy to stand on pitches, I won't go on 2 story.
                          I do the majority of my work in long beach Ca, it was built up pretty much by the 50,s, it's La county. Orange county is mostly slab.
                          Last edited by theplungerman; 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X