X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a gorlitz is no match for my timberwolf

had a customer call me about a main line stoppage and the other guy got stuck and cut off his cable with 33'' sticking out of the 4'' main. they already had 2 guys doing the tug of war with no luck. the cable had been in there for 5 days and the line was plugged.

looked at it Friday late afternoon and came back today, Saturday am before it got too hot. called my buddy steve/ rookie plumber to come out and assist. didn't want to us my jetter as the house has a basement and nobody was home to allow for access. too much potential for a flood. so decided on my 1.25'' cable and timberwolf with a 2'' cutter. the trick was in the prep of the stuck cable.

steves suggestion was to stretch the cable as tight as possible and vice grip it tight. being an 11/16'' hollow core Gorlitz cable and only 33'' sticking out, I had little to attach to. so I used my spare tow hitch that has a 5/8'' pin hole to thread the cable through and vice grip it off while straddling the 4'' cleanout with the cable stretched tight. see photos for the details.

before I got started I ran my rm200 into the line to get an idea how far out and what it looked like. was underwater at 30' and stopped at 35'. so 4- 10' sections of 1.25'' innercore cable was the call.

pretty simple with the Gorlitz cable stretched tight, my 2'' cutter was able to slide to the area and not get wound up. some cutting and going in and out and the tightly stretched cable popped loose. as simple as pulling it out with 1 hand.

phoebe was there to assist along with steve to help stretch the cable and clamp the vice grips, clean up and snap photos. owner will be home in a week and is already thrilled to have a working sewer when they return.

rick.

gorltz 11/16'' cable sticking out of the 4'' c/o 33'' and cut off by other co.

look closely at my trailer tow hitch. the pin hole was used to thread the 11/16'' cable through and vice grip it tight. my 1.25'' cable is running along side the hitch.

with the timberwolf in hand and phoebe safely a distance away, I went to work.

once I cut through the root mass, the cable popped and the hitch pulled loose.

a 3'' cutter with a leader finger is what they used to get stuck. that's just asking to find a way out of an offset joint/ pipe.

Gorlitz 0, timberwolf 1.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-31-2013, 07:55 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: a gorlitz is no match for my timberwolf

Roots?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

yes as per my post video. 35' was the roots they got stuck on in a 45 degree drop. more roots out further.

will jet when they return in a week. basement unattended is asking for a flood.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Did you make your drive adapter for the cable?

And when you say 2" cutter, what type?

Thanks.

Comment

I've done this several times. I use the smallest spearhead (7/8") as a chaser. Keep the stuck cable tight and keep a close eye for any movement carefully chewing away at what holds it.

I've even got stuck with my 1.25" and chased it with another 1.25" cable to free it up.

Basements are the norm around here no jetters are needed only an experienced cable operator.

Piece of cake
          Last edited by AssTyme; 08-31-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Made out of a general " g" drive adapter for a 5/8" shaft. Used a grade 5 bolt and drilled a roll / tension pin through it into the g connector. Then I ground down the 5/8" shaft to a hex 1/2" to fit my drill chuck. This way it doesn't slip In the chuck.

The 2" cutter is just a pear style and ive made plenty of g connectors out of bar stock and a die grinder, 3/8" ×24tpi bolt. Pretty simple. But also pretty cheap to buy a g connector from a general cable supplier.

The 2" cutter is my smallest one. I usually run 3"or 4" spiral cutters. Even 6" pear cutters when I have a 6"co.

I run 10' sections with 5/8" innercore. Also a couple 4' extra heavy sections as needed. There are times when I run 20-30' at a time when the cutting is easy.

Of all the drills I've used, the timberwolf works best for me. Good leverage and great power.

When the timberwolf fails, the jetter shines.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              Made out of a general " g" drive adapter for a 5/8" shaft. Used a grade 5 bolt and drilled a roll / tension pin through it into the g connector. Then I ground down the 5/8" shaft to a hex 1/2" to fit my drill chuck. This way it doesn't slip In the chuck.

The 2" cutter is just a pear style and ive made plenty of g connectors out of bar stock and a die grinder, 3/8" ×24tpi bolt. Pretty simple. But also pretty cheap to buy a g connector from a general cable supplier.

The 2" cutter is my smallest one. I usually run 3"or 4" spiral cutters. Even 6" pear cutters when I have a 6"co.

I run 10' sections with 5/8" innercore. Also a couple 4' extra heavy sections as needed. There are times when I run 20-30' at a time when the cutting is easy.

Of all the drills I've used, the timberwolf works best for me. Good leverage and great power.

When the timberwolf fails, the jetter shines.

Rick.

I found the Dewalt DW124 (TimberWolf) to be a slow, unbalanced POS. I sold it after a few months use. The Milwaukee 1660-6 has a much better feel and also spins a bit faster. I'm now using the Makita DS4011, spins at 600rpm and at around 7lbs it's way easier on the arms

Comment

300 rpm and miles of torque is key to cutting. Drill fits into my hand and forearm. Plenty long for good support. There are times when I pull back at 1200 rpms to stir things up. Same drill I use for underground wet hole boring.

I have several milwaukee hole hawgs including the super hawg and they just don't fit or feel right. The super hawg is closer to the timeberwolf. I also have a makita that's very similar to the hole hawg.

Managed to screw up 1 of my timberwolfs with my key chain. Keys were on my belt loop and 1 of them got into the cooling fan. Blew out too many cooling fins.

Rick.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/drills-1...lls-dw124.aspx
                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-01-2013, 12:41 AM. Reason: link
                phoebe it is

Comment

Good backflow protection on that hose bibb Rick. You should fix that when you go back too.

Where does the 3/4" 90 looking down go? Sprinkler system? Possibly another backflow missing
                  from what I can see in the photos.

Last edited by Bob D.; 09-01-2013, 06:23 AM.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Actually the 1" with ball valve is the main. Funny as there is a relief valve yet no pressure regulator. House was repiped 1 year ago when they bought it by the co that got their snake stuck. Sprinklers have anti siphon/ vacuum breakers buit in. Hose bibb is missing the external vacuum breaker.

The new hose bibbs I buy have an internal vacuum breaker which flow much better and don't humm when you shut off a nozzle. They cost more, but they work better than external breakers.

Very low percentage of hose bibbs have anti siphon protection out here. Mainly because they are not uses friendly, inspectors don't usually enforce them, most guys don't buy them.

Owners called last night from out of town, they're thrilled and check's in the mail.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      300 rpm and miles of torque is key to cutting. Drill fits into my hand and forearm. Plenty long for good support. There are times when I pull back at 1200 rpms to stir things up. Same drill I use for underground wet hole boring.

I have several milwaukee hole hawgs including the super hawg and they just don't fit or feel right. The super hawg is closer to the timeberwolf. I also have a makita that's very similar to the hole hawg.

Managed to screw up 1 of my timberwolfs with my key chain. Keys were on my belt loop and 1 of them got into the cooling fan. Blew out too many cooling fins.

Rick.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/drills-1...lls-dw124.aspx

Sounds like a drum machine

I like speed for running sectional cables

Comment

I sure do miss sitting on my bucket since I started using the timberwolf. but that's about it. It is so much easier on me physically than the drum or the sectional. Today I'm going to modify my chuck adaptor so the cable doesn't lock in if one side is used. I'll have it lock only if I need reverse. that will eliminate fumbleing around to unhook the drill.

Comment

Sounds like the eel pin type connectors. Mine are g connectors and when ben came out to help on a large 34 unit snaking job, he prefered my g connector over his eel connector.

Just be careful when keeping things unlocked. When I build up massive torque, my timberwolf will spin backwards at high speed when I let off the trigger. If its not locked the cable will come off and potentially down the cleanout it goes.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                            I sure do miss sitting on my bucket since I started using the timberwolf. but that's about it. It is so much easier on me physically than the drum or the sectional. Today I'm going to modify my chuck adaptor so the cable doesn't lock in if one side is used. I'll have it lock only if I need reverse. that will eliminate fumbleing around to unhook the drill.
                            I sit on a bucket using the K-1500

Click image for larger version

Name:	5e181ffc459068faabb65c0d703b8785.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	17766Click image for larger version

Name:	8b650d88ba0125f2f00fe8af274749e0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	17767
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

DO NOT use a Timberwolf drill to do this as the torque build-up can actually injure you especially if you are not experienced with this technique.

The drill to use is the Dewalt DWD460K Here is the link: http://www.dewalt.com/tools/drills-1...s-dwd460k.aspx

It is a better drill all the way around and will help keep you from getting hurt:-)

Comment

Working...
                              X