X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodding big pipes

In the last year I have turned down three commercial accounts because my equipment is to small.

Apartment buildings and a privet school. Why? I'm assuming that the mains would be 6" -8" or larger
    and the K-60 is no match. Still haven't pulled the trigger on the ELL and drill and not sure this would be the answer. Have no urge or real need for a jetter.

So what's a person to do? These would be nice accounts.

Re: Rodding big pipes

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
    In the last year I have turned down three commercial accounts because my equipment is to small.

Apartment buildings and a privet school. Why? I'm assuming that the mains would be 6" -8" or larger
    and the K-60 is no match. Still haven't pulled the trigger on the ELL and drill and not sure this would be the answer. Have no urge or real need for a jetter.

Did you even try? You never know 'til you get there what size things might be and what you are able to do with some determination.

Comment

most likely it's 6'' pipe as the fixture unit count is huge.

as a drain cleaner you need to have the right equipment for the job at hand to be successful. without it, stay away from these larger lines.

a k-60 is a great all around machine, but if all you do is drains, you need more equipment.

a jetter is a good piece of equipment for a full time drain cleaner. so is a 1.25'' sectional cable and machine.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        most likely it's 6'' pipe as the fixture unit count is huge.

as a drain cleaner you need to have the right equipment for the job at hand to be successful. without it, stay away from these larger lines.

a k-60 is a great all around machine, but if all you do is drains, you need more equipment.

a jetter is a good piece of equipment for a full time drain cleaner. so is a 1.25'' sectional cable and machine.

rick.
        He should take it anyway. I've opened blocked 3" holding water with a handspinner. No B.S. Won't happen often of course.

But he should take it. Get in there and see what's needed.

Probably be best to pull the trigger on a Model C setup beforehand though if you haven't handled a Timberwolf much.

Comment

I'd go with the K-Silly as it can do pretty much anything

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
            He should take it anyway. I've opened blocked 3" holding water with a handspinner. No B.S. Won't happen often of course.

But he should take it. Get in there and see what's needed.

Probably be best to pull the trigger on a Model C setup beforehand though if you haven't handled a Timberwolf much.

C'mon Bob, enough of the BS already......... do you feel you PROPERLY cleaned the line or just popped a hole in it ?

Yeah it's still draining to this day but you still didn't clean it properly.
            Last edited by AssTyme; 09-04-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              C'mon Bob, enough of the BS already......... do you feel you PROPERLY cleaned the line or just popped a hole in it ?

What is a "properly" cleaned line?

Largest size I.D. cutter? Right. If you don't use this, you didn't properly clean the line.
              No something better.

Expansion cutters? That's better. So if you don't use this, then you didn't properly clean the line.
              No something better should be used. Always use the best or you didn't properly clean the line.

Jetter? That does a better job than cables. If you don't use that, then you are a hack that didn't properly clean the line.

Always cameraing afterwards, right? Anyone that doesn't camera has not properly cleaned a line.

By the current standard of jetting and cameraing that is required to have a line rated "properly cleaned", no I did not properly clean it. It was around 4 or 5 years ago. I'll get there one day and properly clean it.

They just haven't had a problem yet.

Comment

Rental of a jetter or large snake is always an option.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Largest size I.D. cutter? Right. If you don't use this, you didn't properly clean the line.
                  No something better.

Expansion cutters? That's better. So if you don't use this, then you didn't properly clean the line.
                  No something better should be used. Always use the best or you didn't properly clean the line.

Jetter? That does a better job than cables. If you don't use that, then you are a hack that didn't properly clean the line.

Always cameraing afterwards, right? Anyone that doesn't camera has not properly cleaned a line.

By the current standard of jetting and cameraing that is required to have a line rated "properly cleaned", no I did not properly clean it. It was around 4 or 5 years ago. I'll get there one day and properly clean it.

They just haven't had a problem yet.

Lets just say you could have gave a bit more effort, shoved a bigger "snake" down it's throat

Maybe it's just me I'm a bit anal
                  Last edited by AssTyme; 09-05-2013, 09:46 AM.

Comment

~snip~
                    I have done proper cleaning (removal of all roots in a line) of a 6" clay sewer using a 4" cutter.

One of the towns I work in wants to witness the drain cleaning at a residential home. They meet you at the home, and they measure the approximate length of the sewer from the access you are working from to the city sewer. This town also recommends the use of an expanding cutter to ensure a proper cleaning has been done since we are rodding from a clean out on the 4" stack in the home and once the building drain exits the building the building sewers are normally 6" clay. This town also televises the lines at no charge to the home owner when the job is done, and or when we can't get through a spot.

One night I get a call from a home owner in this town at around midnight. I call the police non-emergency number and tell them to contact whom ever is on call at the sanitary department and tell them I am heading to a blocked sewer call. The president of the sanitary department met me on site. He asked me if I had my camera with me since the village one was already on a job site. So I brought in my rod, and camera system. After I got the line open with a 2" cutter I ran the camera down the line to see what the obstruction was. We seen very thick and heavy root masses through out the sewer. After getting the camera out of the line I ran through my 4" cutter with lots of water running. Once I pulled the 4" cutter out, I started to pack up the machine. The sanitation president looked at me puzzled and said that I need to run the expanding cutter through the line, that if I don't I am not doing a complete job. I told him, the line is spotless, then proceeded to run the camera back down the drain. There was not a single root left in the line. Then I told him a good drain cleaner can tell if there is still roots in the line or not and can do a proper job with the right tools.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post

Who's in charge of determining if a line is properly cleaned.
                      If you can get a big line to pop open with a hand spinner then it probably all washed down, (unless it was roots, then u would know) other than that, pack it up.
                      My goal has been to spend the least amount of money of my customers. Until my new jetter comes in a few weeks. Lol

Comment

We got off topic a bit (never happens here) and I came to the conclusion that for me the best answer is :

The drill and Ell.

It seems to me that a big sectional machine defeats the concept of the K-60 being the issue of weight
                        in hauling a machine up and down stairs into the basement.

A jetter is economically unfeasible for me as we have WINTER here in Minnesota. Six plus months of freezing weather.
                        All the main line jobs are in basements and leaving anything outside is problematic.

I don't do any line repair and I'd have to work more than I want to justify or afford it.

I guess a road trip to Chicago is in store for me in a few weeks.

Thanks for all your answers.

Comment

We got off topic a bit (never happens here) and I came to the conclusion that for me the best answer is :

The drill and Ell.

It seems to me that a big sectional machine defeats the concept of the K-60 being the issue of weight
                          in hauling a machine up and down stairs into the basement.

A jetter is economically unfeasible for me as we have WINTER here in Minnesota. Six plus months of freezing weather.
                          All the main line jobs are in basements and leaving anything outside is problematic.

I don't do any line repair and I'd have to work more than I want to justify or afford it.

I guess a road trip to Chicago is in store for me in a few weeks.

Thanks for all your answers.

It's all Bob's fault ! He repeatedly brings up that silly salad.... I mean hand spinner

Comment

Fixitright,how long are the average length of the sewers from the cleanouts to the complex main,city main,or septic tank? On both the apartments and the school ?

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                              Fixitright,how long are the average length of the sewers from the cleanouts to the complex main,city main,or septic tank? On both the apartments and the school ?

Hey Red,

The jobs I turned down were over the phone so the particulars were unknown then.

The Model C set up is here so I'm going to start soliciting more commercial work.

Average residential main lines run from 60 to 160' for me.
                              Lots of guys turn down anything over 100' so I get more of it.

Ran 165 footer this week with the Model C.
                              It's still a LOT of work clipping together that much 8 foot cable in a tight basement.

If it was easy everybody would do it.

As I said a jetter for me is unjustifiable.

Comment

Working...
                              X